ProComp MT2 vs GY MTR Kevlar vs Nitto Trail Grappler - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-18-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Orannis
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ProComp MT2 vs GY MTR Kevlar vs Nitto Trail Grappler

Hey guys, I'm getting to the point of needing new tires for my 99TJ, and was looking for some input/opinions/advice.

I've done quite a bit of looking around online and found lots useful, but sometimes contradictory info. Not that I imagine I'd get a 100% consensus here, but wanted to get my specific needs as part of the conversation.

Tire Size: 33x12.50R15
Load Range: C

Daily Driving: Limited commuting (I bike to work a lot).
Freeway: Limited (down right rare, even with 4.88 my 2.5l no joy on the freeway)
Wheeling: Drive to trails. AZ/Cali/Nevada/Utah. Generally desert, lots of sharp rocks. Go out wheeling/camping quite often.

Don't really care about winter handling since it's such a rare occurrence out in Tucson anyways.

Currently I'm running ProComp MT2's (on the Jeep since I lifted it). I have no complaints with these, never had a flat or sidewall puncture, have gripped well offroad, fairly quiet, and generally held up well over the 5 years I've had em. However, they are my only frame of reference.

From my research it seems that the MTR K's are either loved or hated pretty decisively. It seems that balancing issues are a concern, and therefore uneven wear could be a problem. They are also on the lighter side, especially compared to the Nitto Trail Grapplers. Some say that the sidewalls are tough, and others say they are tissue paper. Road manners seem positive, and offroad performance seems positive as well.

There's been a lot of positive posts about the Nittos. Downside seems to be that they are heavy, however, at my size and load range I'm not sure if thats an issue (haven't found a spec for weight for this size/load range). Most of the posts complaining about weight and stiff sidewalls were the D or E range tires. Some people mentioned an issue of radial drift.

That being said, a lot of these posts were from a few years ago, not sure if there have been any changes by the manufacturers.

Overall, just looking for some feedback by anyone who has run any of the tires.

Also open to other tires other than these 3.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2019, 06:55 AM
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

the nittos weight 71.47 lbs each, more than my 35" baja mtz's

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truc...ht-truck-tire/

I ran GY MTR's with no luck. I know people love them, but I had balance/vibration issues with mine.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Clayton long arm
35" Mickey Thompsons, lots of stuff
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2019, 07:39 AM
bbacus

1999 TJ Wrangler 

There are a lot of good tires out there. I run Goodyear Fierce Attitude MT and love them. However you can only get an E rated tire. Buy what you like. Most MT tires are pretty good. It’s more a matter of personal taste. Good luck.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-20-2019, 03:29 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I fall in the category of being a big fan of the MTRs. I believe early runs of the tires were much more prone to the balance issues than today. They do flat spot easily so best to be balanced when warmed up. With that caveat, my guy being careful and patient using a Hunter machine has never had a problem. I believe current set is my third set. Never had a side wall issue. They do get a little noisy as they wear. I still believe great multi-use tire. But they are multi-use. They do a lot of things well, but in any one area there are probably use specific tires that are better.

Nitto's are great tire IMO, but the weight has always dissuaded me. Not a problem on a high power 4400 car, but for my TJ I can't ignore it.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-20-2019, 05:54 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
In Az the Mtrks are the most popular at least this part of it. I see a lot of tire damage with the amount of jeeps we run all winter here, and i will say FEW are the Mtrk's matter of fact i only know of one on a trail i was on or lead, can recall. The list of pro comp. bfg getting cut is long, here. Not that any tire can not be cut, it is mostly DRIVER.
the bad is the Mtrks are rather expensive.

Here in AZ the rock is rather sharp it tends to cut up side walls rather fast without care where you put the tires many on the moderately hard and up trails. Then there are these things that will end any tire made here in AZ. they will get you in the end. death by a thousand pricks.... once the get in a tire you can not remove it and it only travels in one directing so in time it just makes its way through. Try pulling one out of flesh.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Orannis
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input! This is exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for. Appreciate the time taken to respond

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in