Max Tire Size for Stock TJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2005, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
R.T.
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Max Tire Size for Stock TJ

Wow, what a great site and great set of forums.

I am a newbie with a 3 week old 2006 SE, 4 banger (I'm sure you knew that) with the 6 speed manual trans. My jeep will spend 99% of it's time mall crawling and when I do take it off-road it will be on fire roads, open fields, etc, no rock crawling or mud bogging (I know you are thinking, what the hell is this guy doing here?)

I am not planning on doing any lift but I would like a more aggressive tire then the stock RT/S. Something that will help with a little mud, water, sand, etc. How big can I go and not get any rubbing or suck all the power out of the 2.4 ltr engine.

Thanks in advance,

RT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2005, 09:51 AM
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I would go with a 30x9.5 BFG AT or something like that... you could fit 31's but I would just stick with the 30x9.5 BFG AT's

2013 FR-S
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2005, 11:32 AM
JeepJohnson
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome! The biggest tire you can fit on a stock TJ would be a 31", I don't know how it would react though since they now put 3.73 gears in the 4 bangers . I have the 2.5L with LT235/75R15(29.1") Goodyear MT/Rs and it's just fine. For 99% street use this size would probably work out great.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Dirty Backroads

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe you could find a set of OEM Ravine wheels with the 30"Goodyear GSA tires? Perhaps you can find just a set of Goodyear GSAs from someone who is lifting their new Jeep and going with bigger tires. A lot of people take them off and sell them and for what you want to do they would be perfect. I have 3.73 gears and these wheels/tires and they are fine. You can pick them up cheap. I wouldn't go any higher than 31s if I were you.

HERE is an example of what I'm talking about. Not sure if this includes the tires though. I would think so but the ad isn't clear. The Ravines w/GSAs works quite well on the street and even light offroad.

2005 Solar Yellow TJ Sport

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.

Last edited by Dirty Backroads; 12-04-2005 at 12:49 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-04-2005, 12:40 PM
RISNER

I'm running the 31/10.50's on my stock size wrangler. Its a 4.0L though, and I could tell a difference in the power and gas milage when I switched to them. A 31" is about as big as you can go and not rub while off-roading.... Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in