2Likes
  • 2 Post By DocAdams1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-15-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Firestone Destination MT2

I recently purchased new tires for my 16 Rubicon and will be doing a review on them over time. They should arrive next week if all goes well. If anyone has run them or is running them I would like any feedback you have as well.

Specs of the tires that will be tested on my rig.

315/70R17
Load Range E
Stock Rubicon Wheels

This is meant to be an objective post reviewing this particular model of tire. As with most MT style tires there is not a mileage warranty so it can be difficult when deciding where to spend your hard earned money. So far the only negative aspect of the tire is the load range, and having run load range E tires on other jeeps I am not expecting the ride to good. Before deciding to try this tire I considered a few different models which I have run in the past and really enjoyed.

Kuhmo Road Venture MT
BFG MT KM2
NITTO Terra Grappler

Those are all excellent tires that work well. I was really wanting to try the new BFG MT KM3, but my current set of tires were getting thin fast. This should be a fun test because one of the places I go offroad is mostly the heavy sticky clay/ sand mud.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-17-2018, 08:20 AM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have been very impressed with the Destination LEs.
I also am ready for a set of tires on my Rubicon and were considering MTs or the ATs.
Ill be watching this to see your results.
Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #3 of 9 Old 08-19-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
It looks like they will be delivered tomorrow so hopefully I will have time to get them mounted this week.

Update: Tires have been delivered and they look great! They should be on the Jeep this afternoon, funny story though is that 4 tires barely fit on a cargo tray. I will take some pics after they are installed and post them.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-21-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Well the tires are mounted and balanced. I think they look pretty good on the Jeep, but looks really don't matter to me. Personally it is all about function so the tires need to perform well for DD as well as fun on the weekends.

My initial thoughts:

1. The tires were pretty well balanced and did not require much weight to balance.
2. Ride is much better than expected, it actually seems to ride better than stock.
45 psi (told me it was at 35 psi)
Load Range E
3. 4.10 gears seem to be fine, will see if a regear is in order for better performance.
4. Braking is reduced, but functional.
5. No rubbing anywhere.
Trimmed rock rails
Trimmed pinch weld
Cut front bumper
Cut air dam
3" lift
1.5" spacers
Flat fenders

I am going to chalk test the tires over time and find the best tire pressure to run them at. I plan on putting these tires through their paces and really seeing how well they perform. I feel that I have the "typical" Jeep owner mix of driving. I drive 100-150 miles per day mixed city/ highway and wheel on the weekends when I can. Locally I mostly have trails and mud, but I do hit the beach and rocks a few times a year. Like most mud tires there is not a mileage rating, but I expect to get 40-50k of use out of them. I consider a tire to usable if it meets the following criteria:

1. Legal tread depth.
2. Sidewalls/ tread in good condition.
3. Tires are able to perform on the trail.

Anyways for those interested in these tires stay tuned for more information. If anyone has experience with the Firestone Destination MT2 tires please add your feedback and opinion as well.

Update: Since driving approximately 100 miles it is clear that the tire is not making full contact with the road. I verified the psi to make the first drop in pressure. I noted 45 psi when I was told they were at 35 psi when mounted. So I dropped them to 35 psi and chalk tested them. They are still a bit over inflated, so I will be dropping to 32 psi.
Attached Thumbnails
315-70-r17.jpg  

Last edited by DocAdams1; 08-23-2018 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Updating chalk test
post #5 of 9 Old 01-25-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
15,000 Mile Update

If you don't want the details: They still look new and work great!

For those that want a little more information here you go:

I drive 45 miles+ each way to work on the highway. Road noise is no better and no worse the the BFG MTs that were on it originally. With that said I have a soft top and am half deaf so "noise" is relative. Ride quality has improved with some miles and 26psi. I have taken them off road a few times and they performed well, but nothing really challenging. I will say that thick mud does take some wheel speed to clean the lugs. The really thick stuff takes 15-20mph to really clean them to get another bite.

I am taking the jeep to an off road park tomorrow that is mostly sand/clay mud and trails. Not sure of the trail conditions, but some of the areas were difficult with my BFG MTs. I am not saying these are better or worse than the BFGs, but so far they are wearing much better.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-29-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
25,000 Mile Update

Now I have been running these tires for a while and am pretty happy with them. So far no chunking or cupping is present. They have been rotated a few times and tread wear is pretty even. At 25k I have just over half of the tread remaining.

I have used them on Rocks, Mud, Clay, Sand, and Road.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
40,000 mile UPDATE

Still have plenty of tread and performance on and off road has not changed. Everything is wearing evenly and I am very happy with them. I figured I would be replacing them at this point, but at this rate I may be able to get 60k out of a mud tire. I will be selling these when they get to the legal limit and replacing them with another set. I will keep ya'll updated.
tw_jeep and FZMax like this.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-17-2020, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
50,000 Mile Update

Well the tires are starting to wear faster now. I still have decent tread left, but I have started to notice some cupping and increased road noise. Unfortunately since covid I have been unable to get out and about offroad, so no update on how they perform offroad now. I will say I am still happy with the tires.
post #9 of 9 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the update.
So you would get another set when these are done?

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in