Buying New Tires..Need a lil help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-05-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
mason0929

Buying New Tires..Need a lil help!

Hello everyone,

First post here. Also first Jeep we've ever owned. Anyways, here's the deal:

Noticed the top of a screw in one of my tires, tire shop says it's not repairable due to being so close to the sidewall. I put the spare on, mounted the bad tire on the back and moved on with my day. I was planning on getting new tires within the next few months anyways but that timeline just got moved up...need to get new tires soon, before I head overseas again, so my wife is squared away. Below is some info on the tires:

Nitto Trail Grappler M/T LT 275/70R18 OD:34 OW: 11.50

Also on the tire is 125/122Q 10 P.R. - no idea what that means.

Guy at tire shop said these tires are from '15, and that they have about 30% life left. He also said they are really nice tires....brand and model-wise.

These are tires that were on it when we bought it and they look great but the road noise is pretty loud. I'm looking for some new tires that will look basically the same but will be better on the road because she doesn't take the Jeep off road.

I'm gonna sell these tires, and get new ones but I'm lost as to where to shop for tires and what to look for when buying them. Which numbers need to match? all of the specs? so they look the same or what.

I would very much appreciate some guidance from someone who knows more about this. Thanks in advance!!

Have a great day!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-05-2018, 12:30 PM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

125/122Q 10 P.R....This is load and speed ratings

125 is the load index and means the tire is rated for 3638# on a single wheel axle.
122 is also a load index for a dually axle and is 3307#.
Q is a speed rating of 99 MPH
"10 P.R." most likely means it's a 10 ply rated rated (also called Load Range E). This doesn't mean as much in today's world, but when radials came along, it helped people relate to the bias ply tires and understand the carry capacity of the tire.

What is the tire going on? Generally, a Jeep is find with load range C tires (typically have a 112-115ish load index). These are getting tougher to find with the popularity of heavier duty trucks that share the same wheel size as everything else.

I don't have any experience with the Trail Grapplers personally, but generally, mud terrains are loud tires. If you want a more aggressive look and better performance than an AT tire, look at some of the hybrids like Goodyear Duratracs and Nitto Ridge Grapplers

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal
post #3 of 3 Old 09-05-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
mason0929

Thanks for the reply! The tires are going on a '15 Wrangler

As far as them looking the same...forgive me is this is a stupid question but...don't I just need to make sure they are the same OD and OW? I just want the jeep to have the same stance it has now but need a quieter tire. I will check out the ones you suggested also.

Thanks again!

Tags
jeep , tires , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in