Bfg Mud Terrains Uneven Wear Jk Rubicon - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
JK_Jeep

2007 JK Wrangler 

Bfg Mud Terrains Uneven Wear Jk Rubicon

My 2007 Rubicon has the stock BFG Mud Terrains. Every other lug is worn lower than the one next to it. They are not just worn on one side but from side to side. Same lug on both edges of the tire but every other lug. They are the front tires. The dealer said they think since I missed a tire rotation that is what caused it.

I then rotated the tires and the tires that were in the back are wearing the same way.

Now the best part is when I am going down the road my tires sound like WUPWUPWUPWUPWUPWUPWUPWUPWUPWUP.

So now I need new tires but I do not want to replace them and the new set does the same thing!

Any ideas what it could be?

BTW, this started at 60,000 miles, I now have 70,000 miles, I don't let the grass grow under it

I will try to take pictures and see if I can make it show up in the photo.

( )|||||( )

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraexplorer
Thanks, if it is that good than I'm sure that they can't sell it in California. Everything else is illegal in this state except the illegalsl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 PM
elkfan2

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would agree with the dealer, sounds like lack of rotating. Once a tire gets a pattern worn into it like that it will take a while for them to straighten out if they ever do.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
JK_Jeep

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfan2 View Post
I would agree with the dealer, sounds like lack of rotating. Once a tire gets a pattern worn into it like that it will take a while for them to straighten out if they ever do.
Then why did the rear tires do the same thing when they were rotated to the front. When they were in the rear they were in fine shape

( )|||||( )

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
Thanks, if it is that good than I'm sure that they can't sell it in California. Everything else is illegal in this state except the illegalsl

post #4 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM
elkfan2

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe your front end is way out of alignment, or because you have 70,000 miles on them they are just due to be replaced, or maybe incorrect air pressure. Bad shocks?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 10:23 PM
cjhasacj
1981 CJ7 

Rotation

Its definitely lack of rotation, but could also be a bit of alignment wear too. It will always just happen on the front end, if it where shocks the uneven pattern would be even across the tread, usually. Low pressure or too much pressure would be wearing on the middle of the tire or the outside. But with alignment, it can some times dog track down the road and cause and that slanted flat spot pattern that skips every other tread! And getting rid that crap in your tire now is near impossible. What you need to do is: Get a new set of tires, Have an alignment done, be sure to keep a good pressure at all times, and have a rotate done every 3000 miles. I tell people this stuff all day long and work, and I can tell the ones who come back regularly for rotate and always have good air pressure, they get soooo many more miles than people who just dont care as much. Hope this helps.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 PM
mr4x4

1995 ZJ 

your front end is out of alignment
a while back my front tires were starting to do the same thing I aligned it and rotated the tires even though it was only 500 miles since the last rotation and all was fine

my alignment was only off by a very small amount
but I cought the tire cupping early it looked like they were just starting to cup

94 stock zj and a 95 zj with a 5.5" lift with 35" bfg km2 a rear currie 9in with 4.56 gears an arb and 35spine axle shafts and 4.56 gears in the front Hp30 super30 kit arb 4.1 low range transfercase
post #7 of 10 Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 PM
NiCk-

1998 XJ Cherokee 

70k on BFG Muds, I wouldn't complain at all lol.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-15-2009, 04:37 PM
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCk- View Post
70k on BFG Muds, I wouldn't complain at all lol.
DITTO
The way I run mine I'll be lucky to get 12000 out of mine.
Mine is 2 months old and have 5000 miles on it.
I am offroad EVERY weekend.

'09 Detonator Yellow 4dr Rubi, Bestop Element doors, Rugged Ridge XHD w/stinger, Warn 9.5ti, 3.5 Rock Krawler, Woods driveshafts, Hella 500 aux lights, 35x12.5x17 BFG KM2<< THEY SUCK
post #9 of 10 Old 05-30-2010, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
JK_Jeep

2007 JK Wrangler 

Well I hate to drag up this friggin post AGAIN!

I replaced my BFG's with another set and I'll be damned the front tires are doing it AGAIN!

I had the front end aligned when I replaced the tires but the tech had a hell of a time doing it.

I am not going to rotate the rears to the front and destroy them too.

I will buy some more tires, no choice, but now I am thinking to upgrade the steering components.

Is the poly system worth the $$$$$ for a non lifted Rubicon?

Any other ideas I may be missing?

( )|||||( )

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
post #10 of 10 Old 05-30-2010, 05:39 AM
fduncan
2006 TJ Wrangler 

At how many miles are you rotating your tires? My experiences with 4 wheel drive vehicles, and especially mud tires is to rotate them every 3000 to 4000 miles to keep them from cupping. The factory manual says run them more than that, but every 4wd vehicle I've owned running mud tires would cup on the front if I didn't rotate them every 3000 to 4000 miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in