Balancing steel wheels? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Hrodeberht

Balancing steel wheels?

I've bought these tyres (Cooper discoverer ST maxx 245/75/r16) and steel wheels for my Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ.

Had them mounted at the same workshop that are currently looking at the brakes on my WJ. While at home I found they put no weights on them, so I called them and asked why they didn't balance them and they told me they didn't do it because it would require so many weights... ???

Now, going back there with the tyres I said I must have them balanced and that I already paid them to do that.

They say it's difficult to balance them with such an aggressive thread, and that the stick on weights you put on the inside don't stick very well on steel rims. And they say, even with the ones you hammer on the edge of the rim (which are not black btw), there would be a whole line of them. I told them to try and balance them with the stick ons still because I don't want to ruin the look of my rims with a whole line of ugly weights on the front.

Now, if that doesn't work out, I've read a little bit about these balancing beads. Is that my best option? I'd really prefer to have them balanced properly...

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
unknown1.jpg   unknown2.jpg   unknown3.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 04:48 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe you should find a better shop to work on your Jeep ? Balancing tires is not rocket science, but plenty of shops just can't seem to master the job. You best option is to find a tire shop with a Hunter Road Force Balance machine.

IDK about stick on weights and steel rims, but since tires were balanced, clip on the rim weights is what is used. It wouldn't take much effort to paint them black if you want.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 04:56 AM
Franz At

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Maybe you should find a better shop to work on your Jeep ? Balancing tires is not rocket science, but plenty of shops just can't seem to master the job. You best option is to find a tire shop with a Hunter Road Force Balance machine.

IDK about stick on weights and steel rims, but since tires were balanced, clip on the rim weights is what is used. It wouldn't take much effort to paint them black if you want.
Thanks for the tip!

post #4 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Hrodeberht

Quote:
Maybe you should find a better shop to work on your Jeep ?
Yeah, this isn't my normal favourite shop. They were closed this week, I bet because of summer holidays.

I really had to get my car to a workshop though because my rear left brake caliper locked up. So now I have them changing that caliper as well as discs and pads all around while I'm at it.

I just thought I'd get them to fit my tyres on the rims as well for the convenience of having it all in the same place since they offered that service.

Quote:
Sure, painting them isn't a big hassle, but it sounded like there was going to be a whole row of them on the front of the rims. I don't quite like the idea of that.

But we'll see, maybe they sort the stick on ones out after all. I suppose worst case they fall off and I'll have to rebalance the tyres, in which case I will be taking them to a proper tyre workshop instead.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 10:27 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Back in the day...you could (and still can ) get your tires 'trued'. This is a spin shaving process that results in less tread runout, and thus imbalance. Sticky weights work well, but need to be on a 'cured' surface (paint that has absolutely dried). A proper balancing will likely have weights on BOTH SIDES of the wheel. Static balancing (sitting still) is way less prefered than dynamic (rotating) balance. Best option is vehicle mounted and spun, then unmounted and spun, then static balance.

Once a wheel is balanced, mark it in relation to the hub so if you R&R, it can go back on in the same orientation.
And, yes...on a jeep you could get away with weights only on the hidden side...you aren't ever going to get a luxury ride, so...
post #6 of 7 Old 07-16-2020, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Hrodeberht

Well, they ended up sticking a whole bunch of those adhesive weights on the inside of the rims. I haven't put them on the car yet because my right hand side rear caliper is acting up now instead so I suppose I must have them change that as well tomorrow.

Anyway, the weights seem to be sitting firmly in place. Not sure what the fuzz was all about.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-16-2020, 01:35 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I never use weights on tires for an Offroad rig. They get knocked loose or the tire will slip on the wheel when aired down throwing it off balance. I’ve been using airsoft pellets inside the tire to balance mine for years. Works great and because it is internal you never have to worry about it getting knocked out of whack on the trail.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in