35" A/T Tires - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
rhbickham

2000 TJ Wrangler 

35" A/T Tires

What is the best 35" A/T tires that will balance out good? I have 35" BFG KM2`s that I bought from Discount Tires and they had to replace 3 of them because they wouldn`t balance out, even after roadforce balancing. Still not perfect. I have heard BFG tires are bad about balancing. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 12:35 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
with size i think its hit or miss or could be the person at the balancing station as well, more often then brand. you feel shimmy even if its just slight? thats tires. my 35s and lot of trail time at least once a year balanced. the 37s i have not had to re balance in 3 seasons now and more trail then street. but in that 3 season two tires were replaced for trail damage under warranty. sides wear out faster then the tops off road.

if a tire is out of round enough but well balanced. depending on the psi you run that should be in the mid20s only at enough speed would it want to hop. So even oddly shaped/ sided object can be balanced with enough weight. much like a pig can fly or a lead balloon can too. So they can balance a tire its matter of did they get it to Zero? Its not like the tire is changing its position on the wheel and they are trying to lead a target here. well they do if I air down to far i have had tires move and not lose a bead. i have lost a bead and not needed a balancing after as well.

the main complaint of BFGs i here from our club members and here on line is they cut to easy, in AZ more so. But then again all tires get cut here in AZ on harder trails for sure. hard to get through one and not have at least one jeep in 5 loose a tire. Balancing? not really an issue unless the guy cant get it right.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
rhbickham

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You sound pretty knowledgeable on tires! Do you think places like Discount Tires get less quality tires from the manufacturer?

post #4 of 7 Old 05-28-2019, 06:59 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Your heading talks about ATs but then you start talking about KM2s which are MTs? While I believe KM2s to be one of the most overrated tires in existence, they should still balance relatively easily. Sounds to me like operator error.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-29-2019, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
rhbickham

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes KM2s are M/Ts. My next set will be A/Ts. That is why I posted.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

My 315/70-17 Duratracs required only minimal balancing on all four sets I have purchased over the years.

Compare that with about about one pound required for BFG AT of the same size and on the same wheel.

Something happened with BFG several years ago and quality control went down significantly and their tires need a ridiculous amount of weight to balance

Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx is a tire I keep looking at as a potential alternative to the Duratracs every time I need new tires but ultimately decide to stick with the Duratracs

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 09:04 PM
DougRz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Compare that with about about one pound required for BFG AT of the same size and on the same wheel.

Something happened with BFG several years ago and quality control went down significantly and their tires need a ridiculous amount of weight to balance
You're not the only one to notice this fact.

/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_) 03 auto, Ford 8.8, 4.88, Tru-tracs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in