2021 JLUR plan on upgrading to 37in tires, questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-20-2021, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
James57

2021 JLUR plan on upgrading to 37in tires, questions

2021JLUR
Will be getting a 3.5in lift soon. (Teraflex or Metalcloak or combo of both)
Will upgrade to larger tire from stock 33in KO2, 35in min or 37in max.
personally would like to put the 37 on, but will the oem axle's be ok with this?
(2021 front has CV joints)
I believe I will be using drop brackets to keep steering geometry the same.

Some places say using 8in wheel will work, others say 8.5in and another says use 9in.
What would be the best? (I don't believe the oem 8in will do the job)

Is there any other things to consider if using 37in?
(I know about the tire carrier but I will deal with that unless someone has a good idea that isn't expensive like Teraflex option)
(also plan on getting a Tazer to remap the cpu etc.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-21-2021, 07:43 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
at 37s for off road where 37s are needed the axle shafts may be an issue. We had a 2020 JLUR on 37s on our Rubicon last June run break the front axle shaft long side. Steering wont have enough power.

Street the stock gears wont be enough, lose of usable overdrive. lose of power. 37s you need 4.88 gears to be even close to stock. 4.1 gears you have any type of towing left in it. gears to MORE for street then off road for U. You have a 4:1 low that will that off road will be enough. But that is off road in low.

wheels will be very hard to find after market in a 8" wide and have the back space you will need. Most wheels will be in the 17x9< most all makers of 37x12.5x17 will be a 8.5 specs and most the wheels you will find will be 8.5-10. I would not get a 10 wide.

lifts at 3.5 + will need a front drive shaft of DC typs (three u joints). These type shaft it best to have adjustable arms over drop brackets. DP brackets you loose 3" of ground clearance. Off road that ey can hang you up on rocks< though i have a feeling it may not apply?

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-23-2021, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
James57

Thanks for the info 222Doc. couple of things: This is the first I have heard about the axles. This jeep has Dana 44 front and rear.

Also it has CV joints.

I plan on upgrading the wheels, 8.5 or 9in.
I pretty much certain that I won't be using drop brackets.
I do off road it every week, not just FSR.

Street the stock gears wont be enough, lose of usable overdrive. lose of power. 37s you need 4.88 gears to be even close to stock. 4.1 gears you have any type of towing left in it. ? gears to MORE for street then off road for U. You have a 4:1 low that will that off road will be enough. But that is off road in low

post #4 of 5 Old 09-27-2021, 08:28 AM
Pillswoj

2014 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Yes the 2021 jeep has CV shafts in the front, but they are not the heavy duty chro-molly RCV shafts that are used as upgrades, that is the point that 222Doc was trying to make.

The Rubicon comes with either 3.73 or 4.10 gears depending on Transmission and Towing package, You would want to change those to at least 4.88 for the Jeep to handle well on road.

Jeff
2014 2 dr Rubicon
post #5 of 5 Old 09-27-2021, 11:19 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

12.50 wide tires I assume?

If so, 8" wide will work just fine.

If you're set on buying new wheels, 8.5" or 9" wide is what I'd use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in