• 2 Post By LouC
  • 3 Post By downs
  • 2 Post By urmaboyblur1000

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-29-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
urmaboyblur1000
2004 WJ 

My Heart is Broken!

NEVER, and I mean NEVER let someone else drive your baby.

Never thought I would be here, but here it goes...

An absolutely meticulously maintained 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Complete with a strong HO engine, quadradrive, and no modifications (I saved the IRO long arms for my other build). 166k miles. Last thing I did was take her for a wash and fill her tank. Oil changes every 5 thousand miles.

My only solace is that she needed some tires in the next few months and probably a new set of brake pads all around. Given that the car is likely worth about $4500, I just cant justify that cost in repair and the cost for tires, brakes, a the repair.

The vehicle, while being driven by my 'friend,' was following an Acura MDX too closely. The Acura applied the brakes quickly and my friend swerved at the last minute. Damage is done to the fender on the drivers side, and along both doors on the drivers side. Headlights, tail lights, wheels, drive train and pretty much everything else is flawless. I drove her home today and she still tracks as straight as the day I bought her.

I am completely besides myself. Rather than junk the car and get the 500 bucks they would give me, I think i'll keep her around and cannibalize what I can as this is my second 2004 JGC Overland in Onxy Green (am I crazy about this car or what?).

So.. i'm posting here to give others the opportunity to get some stuff they need as well and help myself get into something that I'll probably end up loving just a little less that this Jeep. Here's what I know...

-Head Lights and Tails are great. (I have those LED tails that everyone else does too )
-Engine is strong.
-Transmission is great. Transfer case functions perfectly.
-Dana 44 with Vari-lock in the rear had new fluid/gasket last year and still locks immediately on slippage.
-Dana 30 in the front is the same way. New fluid and gaskets, works perfect. I've always had matched tread tires on the car.
-Interior is almost flawless. The only interior wear is where my right elbow rested on the center console. And the re-circulation button doesn't light up anymore... but still works!
-Entire AC system (compressor, clutch, and flush) was replaced in November of 2017. ICE cold. Blows hard.
-New water pump and serpentine belt in November 2017.
-New alternator in March 2018.
-All the glass (except the drivers door) is in perfect shape. No chips, cracks or haze. (no tint either)
-Spare wheel is factory new.
-Other four wheels show their age... the chrome plating is chipping off around the center.
-Brakes (Akebono) are fantastic all around (again.. I need pads, but the rotors and calipers are in perfect shape... lines and all never had an issue.) Petal is high and firm, it's like throwing out an anchor. (You'd think this guy could have SAVED HER!)
-Full hitch and 4 pin light package.
-hood opens and closes like new.

AND A FREAKING FULL TANK OF GAS!!!!!
:cryi ng2:

Let me know what you need. At least being able to keep other's cars running will mean that it's not all in vain!

Attached Thumbnails
P_20190828_182651_SRES.jpg   P_20190828_182644_SRES.jpg   P_20190828_182639_SRES.jpg   P_20190828_182634_SRES.jpg   P_20190828_182630_SRES.jpg  

P_20190828_182619_SRES.jpg   P_20190828_182614_SRES.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-29-2019, 10:10 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

I'd replace the 2 doors and the fender, then get a body shop to fix the damage to the dog leg area on the rear quarter and paint it, as long as the A and B pillars are not damaged.
jeepmojo and downs like this.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #3 of 4 Old 08-29-2019, 03:45 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
**** man those are all easily replaceable/fixable parts. Fix it and keep on keeping on. Friends make mistakes. Don't lose good friends over an inanimate object. And this is coming from a guy who forms stronger bonds with mechaincal pieces of equipment than most people. A handful being excepted.
jeepmojo, Jambalam and Raffish like this.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension

post #4 of 4 Old 09-03-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
urmaboyblur1000
2004 WJ 

Oh, yes. Please know, I'm sad for my jeep, but my friend and I are just fine. He made a mistake. I'm glad he walked away unscathed. Proud of the jeep for keeping him safe.
Jambalam and downs like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in