2Likes
  • 1 Post By jscherb
  • 1 Post By jscherb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Jeep factory "World Cab" hardtop for export

This probably qualifies in this area because while these hardtops were initially produced in the US, they were not sold here and were intended for export only.

In the 1980's Jeep produced what they called the "World Cab" hardtop, meant for export use. It was available for both the CJ-7 and the CJ-8 and was never sold in the US except for approximately 230 units on CJ-8's that went to the USPS in Alaska, these were known as "Alaskan Postals".

The World Cab was an all-metal hardtop, it shipped flat and bolted together in the destination country. Small numbers of them showed up in many countries, although they were most common in Venezuela and a few other South American countries, and were also manufactured in Israel as part of the "Storm" military Jeep there. The World Cab had a rear barn door for improved access to the cargo area, and because one of the options offered was troop-style seating in the back, which also accounts for the higher roofline.

This is a CJ-7 World Cab I found in Wales when I was living in London; I brought it back to the states and it's sitting on a TJ Wrangler in these photos.

This promotional photo was used in the UK, it shows the panel truck version (no side windows). It was called the "Safari Top" in the UK.

A pair of ads for the CJ-8 and CJ-7 versions, in these the panel truck version is called the 'van':

John Strenk likes this.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-25-2019, 09:52 PM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

great pics

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #3 of 5 Old 11-26-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The World Cab was produced into the YJ years in Venezuela, here are two YJ-L models (same length as the CJ-8).

A van version:

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

post #4 of 5 Old 11-27-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A view of the troop seats inside a CJ-8 with a World Cab.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-28-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
jscherb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This CJ-8 with a World Cab was my daily driver some years ago. It's an Alaskan Postal World Cab that somehow found it's way to the midwest, which is where I bought it. It had van sides so I added the windows.

John Strenk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in