Power steering cooler (put into a TJ but will work with any PS system) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thumbs up Power steering cooler (put into a TJ but will work with any PS system)

So with my larger tires I wanted to help my Power steering pump out. I figure it's easier and cheaper to add a cooler than it is to replace a pump.

1. Order or pick up a cooler. I bought mine off of www.jegs.com I didn't even think to go to a salvage yard and pick one up but if I do another cooler on some another person's vehicle I will get one of those.
The cooler I bought came with everything except for the fluid. cooler, hose hose clamps, screw in barb (didn't use it with my PS box)

2. Decide where to place the cooler. I used the vertical (well more angled) supports behind the grill and in front of the radiator and core. Here it got the most air flow and keeps it out of harms way.
Lower line comes from the box on the frame.
Other line goes to pump.

3. Attach the cooler with out the lines attached. It will allow you to make less of a mess and have more flexibility in your install.
I used electric clamps with rubber insulation on the part where it touches the metal. I found them in the electric section of home depot. The ones from auto zone are not large enough to fit around the bars.
This step took the longest because I didn't take the grill off or the radiator out. My hands were barely able to fit in the grill slots to put a ratchet on it.

4. Take the low pressure hose off of the power steering box. It is the hose on the back of the box with only one hose clamp, not the large compression fitting.
I bent the hose coming up from the box behind the grill and around the backside right below the driver side light. There is a little bit of the rubber that is in the way but I was able to cut it out with a knife.

Low pressure line is behind the line with the hard attachment on the top.

The cut out that I made.

5. Measure and feed the hose from the cooler to the box. Leave a little extra for future mods or flexibility.

6. Bleed the power steering system. What I was told to do (and I did) was fill the system with PS fluid and with the cap off, turn the wheels back and forth a few times to get the air out of the system. I also have taken the cap off a couple times after driving to help relieve any pressure that is built up from any excess air in the system.

Notes...
I check for leaks every now and then. I have not found any.
Do not over tighten the hose clamps because they will strip and not hold.
There are lots of places to put the cooler. I figured this was the best place because it would have the most air flow.
A loop (in and out on same side) would probably be easier to install because it would use less hose depending on location.
The directions were alright. They gave different ideas where to mount the cooler.

Overall I paid about $50 for the PS cooler, hose, clamps, shipping and fluid. This was a birthday present for myself.

The cooler I installed.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_73902_-1

Overall it took me around an hour +/- 15 min because of my mounting location. It was a pain putting it there.

So far I am happy with the install. I've only driven the jeep for 2 days with the cooler and not had it offroad yet.

This was one of my added projects I did while the jeep was down.

97 TJ 37s custom long arm
Gen right stretch tank
03 TJ buggy project. Stretched tub to LJ, Goat Built chassis, tons 42” pit bulls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 QCLB 4wd Cummins tow rig
24’ Gooseneck PJ trailer

Last edited by JeepRocks86; 10-17-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

are you running hydro assist? i've never seen anyone run a PS cooler without it is why i ask.... i didnt think their was a need. ?

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-18-2007, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
i don't have hydro assist. I know it's over kill but i don't want to mess up the box. Is there a need, possibly not, but it can help. I do know that my box gets very hot on the trail and i have had trouble steering before because the pump got hot.

also it whined a lot. Havn't tested it offroad to see if it helps at all

if i do it again on another jeep i plan to take a temperature of the fluid before and after the cooler on the same trail or section after letting it cool to get a better reading

Gen right stretch tank
03 TJ buggy project. Stretched tub to LJ, Goat Built chassis, tons 42” pit bulls

24’ Gooseneck PJ trailer

post #4 of 7 Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 AM
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good stuff. my box hates me. I spent three days at Tellico smelling burnt PS fluid and listening to a screaming box. I plan to add a cooler to give her whatever relief I can until I can go with the hydro setup. Is a cooler that small still affective?

-Craig-
95 Rio Grande
07 Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-05-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I wish I would have taken the temp before and after i did the cooler. It should help.

Gen right stretch tank

24’ Gooseneck PJ trailer
post #6 of 7 Old 11-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i was checking out a 99 z71 today and it had a rather handy power steering cooler in the grill.... it looked like it would work nicely on a jeep

thought i'd pass that on. goodnight

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
like i said, i wish i had taken temps of before and after. after driving on the street and the trail I can put my hand up to the cooler and feel the heat.

I when wheeling last saturday and didn't make nearly as much noise as before on the tight twisty trails. I do want to find a jeep with the similar set up that I am running to take the temperature of the PS fluild.

Gen right stretch tank

24’ Gooseneck PJ trailer
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in