Modifying 03-06 Mirrors For 02 Mirror Movers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 07-07-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
willydigger

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Modifying 03-06 Mirrors For 02 Mirror Movers

For those of you who love the stock mirror look, but hate the 2003+ mirror movers, here is a write up to solve your problems.

First, you'll need some 7/16 Epoxy Grip Anchors. I bought mine from Grainger.com.

You'll also need a little of this to make the anchors bond to the stem (source Home Depot).

While at Home Depot I was looking for a boot to go over the spacer that sits in the Bracket. This is what I found in the electric section (I got the 1" diameter):

I got the hardware and had to make a few revisions on the anchor. The first thing I noticed during the modification was the plastic bushing on the mirror arm is tapered. The tip has an ID of 7/16 that tapers in preventing the 7/16 OD anchor from dropping in. I had to cut off the end of the anchor to make it short enough and then sand it down to fit the taper. All of this was done with a Dremel.

Below is the hardware. The bolt is a SS 5/16-18. I have various lengths to test once the relocation brackets come in. The retaining ring is 5/8 ID and will be used just in case this doesn't come together right. The anchor has been well modified to fit into the tapered hole in the mirror arm.

In order to get the base off the mirror arm I had to break the retaining ring. It was well rusted and came off after a little prying with a flat head screwdriver. There was a tension spring behind the retaining ring. Nothing holds the spring in. Once the retaining ring was removed it fell out.

As of now the anchor has not been secured. Also the anchors can be purchased in a smaller size that may eliminate the need for all the modification (you'd still have to cut them shorter). I wanted to use a 5/16 bolt though and the mods weren't hard.

The brackets are the Rugged Ridge brackets for pre '03 mirrors. I got them on eBay and they run about $30.

On to the mods. The bracket hole was not large enough to fit the stem of the '05 mirror. I had to open it a bit using a Dremel. The bracket hole is about 1/16 smaller so it doesn't take much to trim it down.

**IMPORTANT**
I'd just like to point out the importance of opening the bracket hole. You want this hole to fit the mirror stem tight. This will help secure the mirror and provide extra reinforcement. You do not want to open the hole so much that the mirror slides in and out freely. Keeping tension here will minimize the need to tighten the anchor and bolt.

The spacer (that comes with the brackets) that goes in the center of the bracket fit over the stem fine so there was no mods needed.

Once the hole was opened up, I test fit everything to be sure I was satisfied with how the final product will look. I am completely satisfied.

The next step was to install the anchor into the mirror stem. I was unsure how much epoxy to use so I just dumped a bunch in the stem and around the anchor. Before adding the epoxy I cleaned the stem and anchor using acetone. I recommend to insert the bolt and tap the anchor as deep as it will go into the mirror stem. If using cheaper carbon anchors you want to be sure they are protected from the elements. The deeper it will go the tighter and more secure the anchor will be. Remove the bolt after tapping it in since loctite will be on it. Clean the loctite off and remove any loctite that may have found a way into the threads of the anchor.

And a quick view from the inside.

Here are the grand finale shots. They look fantastic. I can't believe they turned out so well. They were bolted on this morning for the ride to work. The epoxy had set for 12 hours. They snugged up good. There was no vibration and no other issues. I expect to run into the passenger door blockage problem that has more to due with the poor design of the brackets than the mod.

You will have to twist the nylon door retention strap to prevent the door from hitting the mirrors.

You'll be surprised how easy it is to put together. The hardest part for me was taking that first step.

I put the doors on for a complete image array.

The passenger side is nearly covered. It was like that with every bracket I've attached. You would think these aftermarket designers would test their stuff. I can think of no reason why they didn't extend the passenger bracket arm. Oh well. Still, it looks so good.

Also because the mirror has an opening where it sits on the bracket, I added a 5/8 washer to support the mirror. Here is an updated pic of the 5/8 flat washer. Works great.

The reason I decided to do this was two fold. First I read about someone doing this before so I knew there was a way. Whoever that member was you inspired me. Second, my Jeep is an '05. I wanted to keep '05 mirrors. A little anal on my part, but I wanted to show that the '05 mirrors could look clean too. The cost was somewhat of a factor. I could have bought pre '03 mirrors, but I wasn't sold on the look. All said this mod probably cost more factoring time and material. That said, it was awfully fun and satisfying.

Anchors (carbon steel, might rust) 2 x $2.00 Grainger PN 6JF61
Anchors (stainless steel, no rust) 2 x $13.00 Grainger PN 5HU79
SS Bolts (5/16-18) and hardware (Free for me) 2 x $5.00
Retaining Clips 1 x $5.00 (for insurance only, I never used them) Here is a link just in case everything goes wrong. grainger.com
Epoxy 1 x $5.50 Home Depot
Boot Plastic 1 x $3.00 Home Depot
Relocation Brackets 1 x $30.00 eBay

Add to that the Dremel tool and about 6 hours work.

For the Dremel I recommend some metal sanding bits and a cutter wheel to mod the anchor for a perfect fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in