Zj rear end locked up! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-06-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
D-Dozer

Zj rear end locked up!

Having problems diagnosing the issue with my ZJ

Okay, my name is Dillon. I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ). The guy me and my father bought it from said the rear end is locked up. He said the motor was rebuilt and only had about 40 to 50 thousands miles on it. It has a V8 5.2L, and the motor seems to run fine. We picked it up from a mechanics shop and they also agreed it was the rear end that was locked up. Well we've done a lot of research but yet to come to a conclusion. We lifted it off the ground spun the rear tires and the rear spiders gears would spin, but nothing else. We then started it up and put it in drive. Nothing happened. We put it in reverse and again, nothing happened. We decided to throw it in 4 low and put it in drive. The spider gears, ring and pinion, and carrier in the rear differential would turn. The drive shaft was also spinning. It also made an awful grinding noise. The drive shaft will only spin when it is in 4 low. When we put it back into neutral after being in 4 low, it developed a nocking noise sounding like it was coming from the transfer case. This nocking noise maybe repeats every half second. Throughout this whole process we never got the front tires to spin, and the back tires only spun when we put it in 4 low.

If anyone could point me and my father in the correct direction that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-06-2018, 04:32 PM
riverzj

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dozer View Post
Having problems diagnosing the issue with my ZJ

Okay, my name is Dillon. I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ). The guy me and my father bought it from said the rear end is locked up. He said the motor was rebuilt and only had about 40 to 50 thousands miles on it. It has a V8 5.2L, and the motor seems to run fine. We picked it up from a mechanics shop and they also agreed it was the rear end that was locked up. Well we've done a lot of research but yet to come to a conclusion. We lifted it off the ground spun the rear tires and the rear spiders gears would spin, but nothing else. We then started it up and put it in drive. Nothing happened. We put it in reverse and again, nothing happened. We decided to throw it in 4 low and put it in drive. The spider gears, ring and pinion, and carrier in the rear differential would turn. The drive shaft was also spinning. It also made an awful grinding noise. The drive shaft will only spin when it is in 4 low. When we put it back into neutral after being in 4 low, it developed a nocking noise sounding like it was coming from the transfer case. This nocking noise maybe repeats every half second. Throughout this whole process we never got the front tires to spin, and the back tires only spun when we put it in 4 low.

If anyone could point me and my father in the correct direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I'd say case easy. Crack case, or drain fluid. Everything you've said points to your case. Could pull drive shaft first. You've inspected diff right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 08-06-2018, 04:35 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeah, that sounds like the tcase ate a fork or the chain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
D-Dozer

Yes, we've taken the cover off the Diff and inspected it. Everything looks fine in there.
We were kind of thinking it was either the Transfer case or it was the Transmission.
Thank man. Guess we'll pull the drive shaft and transfer case when we get time.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 01:28 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Check the transfer case, sounds to me TC is the most likely cause for the issue.

Pull the front & rear driveshafts first, and make sure both the front and rear axle spin normally. Also make sure both axles have the same gear ratio, it's not impossible someone replaced either axle and got one with an incorrect gear ratio. That would cause TC or axle issues very quickly on V8 that has a 249 AWD transfer case.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #6 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
D-Dozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Check the transfer case, sounds to me TC is the most likely cause for the issue.

Pull the front & rear driveshafts first, and make sure both the front and rear axle spin normally. Also make sure both axles have the same gear ratio, it's not impossible someone replaced either axle and got one with an incorrect gear ratio. That would cause TC or axle issues very quickly on V8 that has a 249 AWD transfer case.

We are going tp buy a transfer case from a local scarp. He wants $250 for it and is giving us a 90 day warranty. We are going to go from there. I have a Dana 30 in the front and a Dana 35 in the back. Nothing on this jeep has seemed to be upgraded, everything seems stock.
Thank you guys for the replies
post #7 of 8 Old 08-08-2018, 05:57 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
All '96-'98 V8 ZJs came with the aluminum center- section D44HD from the factory; only '93-'95 V8s, and all 4.0 ZJs came with the D35 rear axle. So, if you actually have a D35 back there, it certainly is not the original rear axle on your '97 5.2.

I would definitely verify the axle gear ratios - 4.0 ZJs came with 3.55 (some tow-pack would have 3.73s), and 5.2/5.9 always came with 3.73 gears.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #8 of 8 Old 08-08-2018, 07:08 AM
Boone96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

if looking at the differential from the rear of vehicle, if the cover is round it is a Dana 35. If it sorta looks like a " D " then it is a Dana44HD with the aluminum center section.

96 5.2 242 3" 32x11.5
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1996-grand-cherokee-laredo-5-2-a-2570290/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in