2Likes
  • 1 Post By PolkaPower
  • 1 Post By kg6mov

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
TCRay
1997 ZJ 

ZJ Front Winch Bumper and Winch Recommendations

I have a 97 ZJ. I have a Rockhard rear bumper/tire carrier. I am looking to put a front winch bumper on the ZJ now.

I don't like the Rock Hard front bumper because of the bolt-on grill bar.

I do like the ARB front winch bumper. Anyone have experience with it? Is it well-made and solid?

Also, what winch would you suggest? 10,000lbs for instance? Brand? Wire or synthetic rope?

Thanks!
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 09:11 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRay View Post
I have a 97 ZJ. I have a Rockhard rear bumper/tire carrier. I am looking to put a front winch bumper on the ZJ now.

I don't like the Rock Hard front bumper because of the bolt-on grill bar.

I do like the ARB front winch bumper. Anyone have experience with it? Is it well-made and solid?

Also, what winch would you suggest? 10,000lbs for instance? Brand? Wire or synthetic rope?

Thanks!

Tom
ARB is a very nice bumper. You can check YouTube for factory videos on how it's built. Its big though and hangs low.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 10:58 AM
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

With that bumper and winch with cable, you'd be adding 225 lbs to the very front of your ZJ, with rope closer to 200 lbs.

Air flow to the radiator will be less, if you live in hot environment then cooling is to be considered.

The Rough Country winch plate and a Warn VR12s would weigh a little over 100 lbs.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 01:50 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

KD Fabworks

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #5 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 03:06 PM
CatSplat

1994 ZJ 

Garage
Hanson Winchguard.. Great-looking, beefy as hell, and pretty reasonably-priced.

1994 5.9L ZJ | IRO 5.5" CPLA | NP242 | 17" JK Moabs | 32" BFG MT KM
The Jeep of Theseus
post #6 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
TCRay
1997 ZJ 

I have heard bad reviews about Hanson. People order from them and they don't hear anything back and it can take a very long time to get something fabricated and shipped. Do you have other experience with them? That is a good looking bumper for $825.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 04:16 PM
CatSplat

1994 ZJ 

Garage
My bumper had a 2 week lead time when I ordered it, it was shipped and delivered on-schedule (give or take a couple of days) through my local shop. My only complaint was while the powdercoat on the bumper itself was excellent, the powdercoat on the separate fairlead mount wasn't great and it required a repaint after a few years. To their credit, I noticed the poor coat on the fairlead mount when it first arrived and Hanson refunded me the entire cost of the mount, which exceeded my customer service expectations.

1994 5.9L ZJ | IRO 5.5" CPLA | NP242 | 17" JK Moabs | 32" BFG MT KM
The Jeep of Theseus
post #8 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 05:42 PM
jmrsyrs

No trouble with Hanson - mine was delivered on time and is excellent quality.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 10:56 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Build one.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
Timo_90xj likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM
leo2hot4tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
With that bumper and winch with cable, you'd be adding 225 lbs to the very front of your ZJ, with rope closer to 200 lbs.

Air flow to the radiator will be less, if you live in hot environment then cooling is to be considered.

The Rough Country winch plate and a Warn VR12s would weigh a little over 100 lbs.
I'm heavily considering the RC winch plate and a Smittybilt XRC 9.5 for mine due to weight.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-16-2019, 09:12 AM
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2hot4tv View Post
I'm heavily considering the RC winch plate and a Smittybilt XRC 9.5 for mine due to weight.

I had the plate on a 94 ZJ I totalled. It's a good piece of gear. It says the install time is 1-2 hours. I don't know where they get these estimates. More like a weekend for a backyard hack like me. The bumper fascia needs to be trimmed perfectly and that took time. And they don't account for mounting and wiring the winch.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-16-2019, 09:54 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The RC winch plate is a good option. A 9.5k winch is a little on the small side for a ZJ IMO.

Before winching, read this a few times: http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...ble/index.html
GChief likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 AM
GChief

1995 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The RC winch plate is a good option. A 9.5k winch is a little on the small side for a ZJ IMO.

Before winching, read this a few times: http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...ble/index.html
Good link for the masses. Being a qualified rigger thru my job helps a lot

Thanks Rob
post #14 of 15 Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
leo2hot4tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
I had the plate on a 94 ZJ I totalled. It's a good piece of gear. It says the install time is 1-2 hours. I don't know where they get these estimates. More like a weekend for a backyard hack like me. The bumper fascia needs to be trimmed perfectly and that took time. And they don't account for mounting and wiring the winch.
Backyard hack here too, and i have noticed that. Luckily i don't have a bumper cover any longer. I'm debating whether to get one with the plate or just leave it off. Leaning towards leaving it off, since it's doesn't really do anything.
post #15 of 15 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
leo2hot4tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post

Thanks, i'm going to go over the link in detail, lot's of good info from what i can see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in