ZJ adjustable front lower control arms install help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 02-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Ace14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
If eliminating cam bolts, must set caster by adjusting arms.

Simple move for you is to keep the cam bolts and set the arms to stock length, then care about the rest when you get adjustable uppers.
This 100 percent. Basically you are using the arms just for clearance not to adjust anything (yet). So keep it all as it was just with the new arm.

2003 Inca Gold Rubicon-Metal Cloak Armor, Currie Suspension, 35s.
1998 5.9 ZJ -DD/ work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 02-20-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
CamoX413
1996 ZJ 

Got it.

So I started removing my front driver side lower and I got the nut of on the body side, then I started tapping the bolt out with a rubber mallet. The bolt only came halfway out. Now It's like the control arm shifted enough already that the bolt is Cockeyed and I'm having trouble getting it the rest of the way out. I've been rocking the jeep forward and backward and nothing. Is there a trick to this?
post #18 of 27 Old 02-21-2017, 01:40 AM
TheGrimReaper
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoX413 View Post
Got it.

So I started removing my front driver side lower and I got the nut of on the body side, then I started tapping the bolt out with a rubber mallet. The bolt only came halfway out. Now It's like the control arm shifted enough already that the bolt is Cockeyed and I'm having trouble getting it the rest of the way out. I've been rocking the jeep forward and backward and nothing. Is there a trick to this?
Haha yea, a rubber mallet brother. In all seriousness, I just ran my second jack underneath to clear the right angle to loosen the arms.

post #19 of 27 Old 02-21-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
CamoX413
1996 ZJ 

I'm not following you man. Did you use the jack to relieve pressure on the control arm?

I'm also concerned that I'm going to have trouble getting the bolts back in with the new control arms since I can't get the bolt holes to line up properly.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-21-2017, 10:39 AM
TheGrimReaper
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I'm not following you man. Did you use the jack to relieve pressure on the control arm?

I'm also concerned that I'm going to have trouble getting the bolts back in with the new control arms since I can't get the bolt holes to line up properly.
Yep, the jack relieves the pressure making it easy to get that bolt out.
post #21 of 27 Old 02-21-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
CamoX413
1996 ZJ 

Where did you jack it up from? I tried last night to jack it up on that side of the axle and it didn't seem like it shifted the control arm at all
post #22 of 27 Old 02-21-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
CamoX413
1996 ZJ 

Never mind. I put jack stands under the body then used the jack to manipulate the axle. Came out super easy.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-22-2017, 09:31 AM
TheGrimReaper
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Never mind. I put jack stands under the body then used the jack to manipulate the axle. Came out super easy.
Yep that's exactly the way to do it!
post #24 of 27 Old 02-22-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
CamoX413
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
Yep that's exactly the way to do it!
I had heard that you could do it with the wheels on the ground and rocking the jeep foreward and backward which is what I was trying to do but that didn't work at all.
post #25 of 27 Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 PM
TheGrimReaper
1997 ZJ 

Quote:

I had heard that you could do it with the wheels on the ground and rocking the jeep foreward and backward which is what I was trying to do but that didn't work at all.
Yea, I was changing my tires so they were already in the Jack stands...when I messed with my control arms...it was super easy once I got the Jack underneath to make the angle and pressure less intense and then it was cake...a delicious cheesecake.
post #26 of 27 Old 02-25-2017, 05:18 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

I like cheesecake so much I started making my own...blueberry or pumpkin. When I'm not working on jeeps of course, haven't found a cussing flavored cheesecake yet.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #27 of 27 Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 AM
TheGrimReaper
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I like cheesecake so much I started making my own...blueberry or pumpkin. When I'm not working on jeeps of course, haven't found a cussing flavored cheesecake yet.
Haha I'm telling you, I might have to get one, cya today is a jeep fixin day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in