• 1 Post By Ralph77
  • 1 Post By 3hounds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
3hounds
1997 ZJ 

Garage
XJ fan clutch on ZJ

My water pump bearings are not happy & it looks like it also took out my clutch fan bearing as well. I am looking for a clutch that will fit my 7 blade fan that has the least amount of draw on my 97 little 4.0 ? I thought maybe the XJ clutch would fit the bolt holes on my fan ? From what I gather the XJ clutch does not engage as much as my original ZJ clutch ?

Thanks, Henry from PA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 08:16 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

I don't think you want a lesser engaging clutch on ZJs as the cooling system while perhaps better than on the XJ, does not have a large margin for safety. I used a Four Seasons HD clutch on mine (no more OE available when I had to replace it) and it is nosier than stock but cools very well.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #3 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
3hounds
1997 ZJ 

Garage
Yes I know, can't find an OE either ? I've looked at the 4 seasons, Hayden & a few others. I run Synthetic fluid, Trans. cooler, bigger Rad so I was wondering if the XJ clutch would bolt up to my 7 blade fan ? Engine runs about 15 degrees cooler than it did stock even with a 195 stat. in it. I might have to go to a auto parts store to compare ? Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-20-2020, 01:13 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well my understanding is some guys upgrade to the ZJ fan clutch on their XJ's.
So I have to assume as far as bolting on an XJ one will on a ZJ.
Now is it a smart thing to do?
Not a clue.
I toyed with putting a ZJ in my XJ when I needed to replace it.
Asked my buddy what he thought and he said you don't tow and you are not having any cooling problems.
You do that and it will be noisier and there is a chance it will effect MPG.
So he said why bother.
3hounds likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-20-2020, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
3hounds
1997 ZJ 

Garage
Ralph77, I should have clarified my question better. I was worried about the fan hitting something, Is the snout the same length ? I had an XJ until a YO HO hit me almost head on & totaled my Jeep. I called all the local parts stores but nobody had 1 in stock ? I guess I'll do more searching on the dimensions of the XJ clutch. Thanks for your reply, SIR.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-21-2020, 01:58 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hounds View Post
Ralph77, I should have clarified my question better. I was worried about the fan hitting something, Is the snout the same length ? I had an XJ until a YO HO hit me almost head on & totaled my Jeep. I called all the local parts stores but nobody had 1 in stock ? I guess I'll do more searching on the dimensions of the XJ clutch. Thanks for your reply, SIR.
I believe the ZJ one to be bigger overall and deeper.
I kinda of recall some guys saying the ZJ one in an XJ was making the fan hit something.
This seems to be a problem when the motor mounts are not in the best of shape.
So thinking the you would actually have more room cause the XJ one is smaller.
Again is this a good idea?
I wouldn't do it.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-23-2020, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
3hounds
1997 ZJ 

Garage
LOL, Don't know if this is a good idea either ? I might go with the 4 seasons not sure yet, have to do some more searching.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-25-2020, 03:09 PM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hounds View Post
My water pump bearings are not happy & it looks like it also took out my clutch fan bearing as well. I am looking for a clutch that will fit my 7 blade fan that has the least amount of draw on my 97 little 4.0 ? I thought maybe the XJ clutch would fit the bolt holes on my fan ? From what I gather the XJ clutch does not engage as much as my original ZJ clutch ?

Thanks, Henry from PA.
Bear in mind that at least the later XJs have an electric fan in addition to the clutch fan. My guess is that the XJ fan clutch will act differently than a ZJ fan, whether better cooling or better fuel economy who knows? I just installed a heavy duty unit from R/A on one of my '98 ZJs and it works just fine.

GW

"The Dude Abides"
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2020, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
3hounds
1997 ZJ 

Garage
GOLDWING , I went with the Hayden Severe duty fan ? That is what my original part number matched up to. I know the XJ has a Elec. fan also but I was going but try & put my 7 blade fan on an XJ fan clutch ? Not now though, THANKS FOR THE REPLY SIR GOLDWING.
GOLDWING likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-05-2020, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
3hounds
1997 ZJ 

Garage
UPDTE : I put a new water pump on, new Hayden fan clutch, new Stant Super Stat. ( drilled small hole in top for air bleed ) new Stant Rad. cap & a 136 AMP. Alt out of a 98 5.2 ( Had to install new brushes & clean it up ) into my 97 4.0 Grand last Sat. I put all new hoses, Rad. cap on right before winter & flushed out cooling system, heater core. Ran fine, no leaks, no overheating, it was just time to change my Anti-Freeze & I had no pressure in cooling system, so new cap. Everything GREAT after that as in had pressure back.

So after all that work last Sat. I still have no pressure in my cooling system ? Jeeps comes up to 195 ish, Thermo. opens & that's where it stays roughly. New fan clutch is GREAT. So drove it about 30 miles still NO PRESSURE ? Pulled Jeep on a pretty big incline on my property, took Rad. cap off to maybe get any air trapped in there out ? Let it run for 30 Mins. NO AIR AT ALL, squeezed top hose to try to get air out NOTHING. Put cap back on waited 15 Mins. still NOI PRESSURE but top & bottom hose is HOT. Can squeeze top hose almost flat with my hand. So now I have to go buy or rent a pressure tester to see if I have a small leak some where & check Rad. cap.

Later 3 OUT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in