WJ Laredo heat not hot - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
dougy147

2007 JK Wrangler 

WJ Laredo heat not hot

The heat isblowing warm but it does not seem like it's as hot as it should be. The temp does change when I adjust it but it seems like if I turn it to cold and back to hot a few times it is warmer than before. I just bought it so I really can't compare to earlier but it is significantly cooler than the heat in my van. It is a Laredo and does not have the auto climate control. I'm thinking it might still be the blend door though since it gets warmer by going back and forth from cool to warm. The engine is getting up to temp. Any ideas?

The Past
95 ZJ Laredo 4.0
00 WJ Laredo 4.0 & 4.7
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 AM
nierace

2003 WJ 

No blend door on your laredo, your heater core could be on its way out however...I'd leave it be till it stops blowing warm air :P

Look to see if its leaking anti freeze anywhere...

Nickerdoodle
03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
35" BFGoodrich KM2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
North East Offroad Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
dougy147

2007 JK Wrangler 

That's what I was afraid of. The whole dash has to come out for that right? The heater treater website says the Laredo does have the blend doors they are both controlled by the same motor though.

The Past
95 ZJ Laredo 4.0
00 WJ Laredo 4.0 & 4.7
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara

post #4 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

Check the coolant level.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
dougy147

2007 JK Wrangler 

Level is good, needs to be bled maybe?

The Past
95 ZJ Laredo 4.0
00 WJ Laredo 4.0 & 4.7
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
post #6 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 05:07 PM
ducttapeman90
1996 ZJ 

Flush the heater core.

"Who needs a girlfriend when you have a jeep!" -my ex
post #7 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
StillinSaigon
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougy147 View Post
The heat isblowing warm but it does not seem like it's as hot as it should be. The temp does change when I adjust it but it seems like if I turn it to cold and back to hot a few times it is warmer than before. I just bought it so I really can't compare to earlier but it is significantly cooler than the heat in my van. It is a Laredo and does not have the auto climate control. I'm thinking it might still be the blend door though since it gets warmer by going back and forth from cool to warm. The engine is getting up to temp. Any ideas?
There's quite a lot of information lacking from your post. We've always employed the "KISS" System...Keep It Simple Stupid (no offense). Not enough heat still could be a Thermostat problem in that it's locked in a semi-wide open position whereby the amount of heat will vary dependent on highway driving vs. in-town driving. The only reason a thermostat should be bled is if you've installed a new one, but even then, there's a small hole in the thermostat itself to bleed the air from behind it so unless you've replaced the thermostat recently, I wouldn't go there. To test the thermostat from a "cold" condition, start your vehicle and hold onto the upper radiator hose and if it warms as the engine does...it stuck open. If however, it becomes slightly warm and then an almost hot upper radiator occurs, then the thermostat is functional. A defective radiator cap could also cause this problem as well as a "weak" lower radiator hose that collapses on itself when you accelerate the engine. One question I have is when you accelerate quickly (almost full throttle), does the inside heat slow coming out of the vents and go to the windshield? Should it do this, then there's a vacuum leak in your control doors or a small vacuum device that keeps vacuum to the system so it will allow vacuum one way instead of losing all vacuum to your heater controls. Also check your engine's fan to see if the clutch fluid is in "direct" when the engine is cold or can you hold onto it with a shop rag and have someone else start it. Without anymore information, I hope this helps you out some. Also check the heater control valve under the hood to see if it's working properly either with a vacuum pump or going from heat to the off position. If there's movement, then the heater control valve is working...if it stays in the same position...there's your problem (especially since moving your heat from hot to cold seems to help at times.

If it's too cold to bother with it now, the backyard way is to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and watch your temperature gauge. This will block the forced air through the radiator as you drive and give you more heat until the weather changes. Good Luck!

~Stillin Saigon®~
post #8 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
dougy147

2007 JK Wrangler 

That was a lot of good info stillin, thanks

Reading back, my post is somewhat of a jumbled mess. Probably the result of creating it on my iphone while waiting at the DMV completely aggravated, but that's a different issue

I have not noticed the airflow diverting to the defroster under hard acceleration. I'm going to check the control valve, etc. and see what I come up with. One question I have though, are you saying to hold onto the fan and have someone start the engine? Seems like I could loose a few fingers doing that!

The Past
95 ZJ Laredo 4.0
00 WJ Laredo 4.0 & 4.7
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
post #9 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM
horatio102
Web Wheeler

That's why he said to use a rag - just make a U with the rag, hold the ends, and use the bottom of the U to hold the fan blade.

Really though, it's got a viscous clutch, so you should be ok just holding it with your hands. Don't try it because there could be something wrong with the clutch.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
dougy147

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio102 View Post
That's why he said to use a rag - just make a U with the rag, hold the ends, and use the bottom of the U to hold the fan blade.

Really though, it's got a viscous clutch, so you should be ok just holding it with your hands. Don't try it because there could be something wrong with the clutch.
Ah, that makes sense. Not sure what I was thinking....I swear i've spent too much time reading accounting crap while my wrenches got dusty the last few years. I'm supposed to be getting smarter but I wonder if it's not going the other way sometimes

The Past
95 ZJ Laredo 4.0
00 WJ Laredo 4.0 & 4.7
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
post #11 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM
StillinSaigon
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense. Not sure what I was thinking....I swear i've spent too much time reading accounting crap while my wrenches got dusty the last few years. I'm supposed to be getting smarter but I wonder if it's not going the other way sometimes
No sir, I'm not recomending to you that you lose any fingers, I'm speaking of your engine's fan being a "clutch driven" fan whereby the heat from the forced air going through the radiator heats up an element on the front of the fan so it becomes almost direct drive. When I said to hold the fan blade with a shop rag, it is only if your fan spins with the engine OFF. If it's a direct drive fan, then yes you could lose a few digits however most of the time a fan clutch is employed in vehicles to properly allow the engine to reach "normal" operating temperatures quickly so your engine goes into "closed loop" (where the computer controls everything from input of sensors), rather than "open loop" where a pre-programed set of values remain in effect until there's signals from the O2 sensor, the cooling sensor and things of that nature. Don't worry, should one of your main sensors be "bad" or it's a "lying" sensor, the Check Engine light would come on.

Before holding the fan, see if it spins freely by hand with the engine Off. (By the way, all Engines spin clockwise as you're looking at them from the front of the vehicle), so if your fan will turn with the engine off, then while on the driver's side, the fan will move downward if being held with a shop rag, therefore your hand has little or no chance of being caught for the fan will spin downward and away from your hand. 1st thing though is to see if the engine's fan will turn with the engine off easily or if it's direct drive, don't hold the fan. The other information I wrote you is for what is known as a "Fan Clutch", usually a silver looking thing attached to the fan blades in the center of them.

~Stillin~
post #12 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
dougy147

2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm familiar with a fan clutch and there is definitely one on there. I wasn't sure how much force the fan would exert when the clutch was not "engaged". I will probably mess with it tomorrow. I'll update as to how I made out. Thanks to everyone for your help

The Past
95 ZJ Laredo 4.0
00 WJ Laredo 4.0 & 4.7
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
post #13 of 16 Old 02-17-2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
dougy147

2007 JK Wrangler 

Well my wife got home from work with the Jeep a few hours ago. Just for the heck of it I went out a little after she got home and started feeling the hoses. Both heater hoses were fairly warm, about equal. The upper radiator hose was quite warm, and the lower hose was COLD! According to the link below, the t-stat is on the lower hose, so I'm thinking that is my issue. I'm going to try driving a little further than the 15 minute ride home she has and check it again. The fan spun fairly freely but I will have someone start it while I hold it and have a look at the heater control valve as well before I replace the t-stat.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/thermostat_47.jpg

The Past
95 ZJ Laredo 4.0
00 WJ Laredo 4.0 & 4.7
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
post #14 of 16 Old 02-18-2009, 05:39 AM
StillinSaigon
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Well my wife got home from work with the Jeep a few hours ago. Just for the heck of it I went out a little after she got home and started feeling the hoses. Both heater hoses were fairly warm, about equal. The upper radiator hose was quite warm, and the lower hose was COLD! According to the link below, the t-stat is on the lower hose, so I'm thinking that is my issue. I'm going to try driving a little further than the 15 minute ride home she has and check it again. The fan spun fairly freely but I will have someone start it while I hold it and have a look at the heater control valve as well before I replace the t-stat.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/thermostat_47.jpg
If the fan spun fairly freely as you stated, then start it up (holding one of the fan blades) and "feel" the resistance. If there is still a question in your mind...throw the fan blade counter-clockwise (up towards the passenger side if holding on the driver's side), and if it's at operating temperature, if the fan spins more than 360 degrees, you probably have a fan clutch problem (or by any other term you want to refer to it as).

The Thermostat, however is a good place to start. I'm only on this site for my nephew for I'm on Bimmer Forums (BMW), and have a 325i Convertible. I just put a 90 degree (centigrade) t-stat in it and I have more than enough heat for the winter time. Sad but true, I've found that quite a few thermostats are now marked in centigrade or Celsius rather than Fahrenheit. Let us know.

~Stillin Saigon~
post #15 of 16 Old 02-18-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
dougy147

2007 JK Wrangler 

Snowing tonight, looks like this will end up waiting until the weekend. Will update!

The Past
95 ZJ Laredo 4.0
00 WJ Laredo 4.0 & 4.7
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in