At wits end with a dealership (skim module/drb3 issue) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-17-2019, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
landm223
2003 TJ Wrangler 

At wits end with a dealership (skim module/drb3 issue)

So let me lay it out as best I can and hopefully you guys can help.
I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee and in July I went on a work trip for roughly a month.I came back from the trip and found out someone had broken into my office and took my keys. They didn't take my vehicle, just the keys. Problem is that I only had one key for the vehicle. I call the dealership and get a tow set up to get a new key cut and reprogrammed since it has the skim unit. First line I got from the dealership was " the skim module is so old that it can't communicate with the key". So they tell me I have to buy a new skim module. The total for the work jumped from 160 to a little under 500.

Then after another week of them having my vehicle apparently the skim module they ordered didn't work so they had to order another one. So tack on another week waiting for the second skim module to arrive. Now as of this week the issue is that their drbiii tool doesn't work and they are trying to borrow one from another dealership. They service shop manager said if they can't borrow the tool from the other dealership that I should just have it towed to that dealership nearly an hour away for them to do the service. This doesn't sit well with me because it's going to tack on another 150 bucks just to do a job that they couldn't get done in nearly a month.

My question is what options do I have? Buying a new vehicle isn't an option right now. I have read on other forums that you can disconnect the skim module and reset the pcm and just run it without a skim module. Which at this point I have no problem with because I'm not worried about someone stealing a 20 year old Grand Cherokee.

Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-17-2019, 05:09 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
You better post in the WJ section ('99-'04 Grand Cherokee), this is for the '93-'98 ZJs which do not use the sentry key immobilizer.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #3 of 4 Old 09-17-2019, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
landm223
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
You better post in the WJ section ('99-'04 Grand Cherokee), this is for the '93-'98 ZJs which do not use the sentry key immobilizer.
Thanks man, must have fat fingered my phone when selecting the forum. Mods please delete

post #4 of 4 Old 09-17-2019, 11:49 AM
MaintMech
Old and in the way

1996 ZJ 

So where's that Jeep Cares guy that shows up once in a while?

On the beach soaking up suds and sun!!!!!

'96 Grand Laredo, 4.0, Stock, Daily Driver

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!

Originally Posted by coralman
If the faith isn't there,the doubt is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in