• 2 Post By PolkaPower
  • 1 Post By SoTex95ZJ
  • 1 Post By PolkaPower
  • 1 Post By PolkaPower

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-27-2021, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
SoTex95ZJ

Winch bumber build questions

So im finally starting to build my bumper after getting tired of tripping over the winch box for the past year lol. The plate i have comming out of the frame is 3/8 mild steel extending back to pretty much where the sway bar is bolted, ive used the 4 holes in the front to attach it; should i drill another hole further back or are those 4 good enough?

Second question- i used 1/2" grade 8 bolts but the nuts i welded to the plate are just the basic zinc coated nuts (yes i ground off the coating before i welded them on), is there a torque spec for something like that or just tight af?

Third question- what is the hole in the pic for? Its about 1 1/4". It doesnt seem to have a nut or anything across from it, just the radiator support. Its on both sides, i was thinking a factory tow point for the ones that didnt come with the tow hooks in front? It was a pain in the rear to drill a hole in the 3"8 to fit around it!

Last question- i have some 3/8 high carbon steel plate about 3" wide that i was going to use as the "tray" for the winch (welding a few strips together). Im not super adept with combining metals but i havent come across anything i cant burn yet! Is there any reason i cant use them, like they are too brittle or like the metals will never work togeter or something? I was also thinking about using 2 of them welded side by side to make my d-ring shackles.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails
20210927_194735_1632791484538.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-27-2021, 07:24 PM
Jolly-Roger

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTex95ZJ View Post
So im finally starting to build my bumper after getting tired of tripping over the winch box for the past year lol. The plate i have comming out of the frame is 3/8 mild steel extending back to pretty much where the sway bar is bolted, ive used the 4 holes in the front to attach it; should i drill another hole further back or are those 4 good enough?

Second question- i used 1/2" grade 8 bolts but the nuts i welded to the plate are just the basic zinc coated nuts (yes i ground off the coating before i welded them on), is there a torque spec for something like that or just tight af?

Third question- what is the hole in the pic for? Its about 1 1/4". It doesnt seem to have a nut or anything across from it, just the radiator support. Its on both sides, i was thinking a factory tow point for the ones that didnt come with the tow hooks in front? It was a pain in the rear to drill a hole in the 3"8 to fit around it!

Last question- i have some 3/8 high carbon steel plate about 3" wide that i was going to use as the "tray" for the winch (welding a few strips together). Im not super adept with combining metals but i havent come across anything i cant burn yet! Is there any reason i cant use them, like they are too brittle or like the metals will never work togeter or something? I was also thinking about using 2 of them welded side by side to make my d-ring shackles.

Thanks in advance!
Torque spec for a 1/2" grade 8 course thread bolt is 80ft pound. you can google torque specs for various grade online. Grade 8 course is 80 fine is 90.

Jolly-Roger 96 GC Limited 242 TC, u-jont axle swap
Badwolf 14 Wrangler Sahara
post #3 of 14 Old 09-27-2021, 11:05 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Here's how I did mine. I haven't done the fairlead yet.
img_4845.jpg
img_4847.jpg
img_4849.jpg
img_20200517_104932-copy.jpg

img_20190527_120118.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rockpile and i-joshua like this.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-28-2021, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
SoTex95ZJ

@Jolly-Roger i should have thought of that! Lol, thank you. @PolkaPower that looks awesome, i was thinking about making plates for the outside of the frame, did you weld them to the frame?
Jolly-Roger likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-28-2021, 02:51 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Nuts are stronger than bolts just due to the geometry of the threads. See if you can find a torque chart that includes length of the bolt. The longer a bolt is the less torque you need for the same clamp load since the longer bolts stretch more. I'd use the Grade 8 numbers. This is similar to using fancy ARP better than grade 8 bolts in a cast iron block.

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
If you don't know what kind of steel that it, I would not use it. It could be brittle, it might not like welding. Your welds will definitely be a different composition that the rest of the plate and could do interesting things under a load.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-28-2021, 03:17 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
@Jolly-Roger i should have thought of that! Lol, thank you. @PolkaPower that looks awesome, i was thinking about making plates for the outside of the frame, did you weld them to the frame?

No, they slide into the frame rail and bolt in with plates on the outside. img_20190407_135831.jpg
Name:  IMG_3965.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  185.7 KB

I'm going to eventually run stiffeners front to rear.

post #7 of 14 Old 09-28-2021, 08:30 PM
Titnado1
1998 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
No, they slide into the frame rail and bolt in with plates on the outside. Attachment 4010293
Attachment 4010295

I'm going to eventually run stiffeners front to rear.

I just might have to copy part of your design. but if you were to cut the grill would you be able to move the winch back for a better angle of approach?

If you can drive it, fly it, or bang it.... rent it.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-28-2021, 08:48 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titnado1 View Post
I just might have to copy part of your design. but if you were to cut the grill would you be able to move the winch back for a better angle of approach?

Sure. You can cut out the entire center section and replace it with tube if you want. Just weld in the new brace before you totally cut it out or the horns/frame rails may twist.

Not sure how mych approach angle you need. It's got a good bit already.
Are you building a rock crawler?img_4871.jpg

Here's another idea.
img_4873.jpg
Name:  IMG_4872.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  66.5 KB
img_4874.jpg

Jolly-Roger likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-28-2021, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
SoTex95ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post

If you don't know what kind of steel that it, I would not use it. It could be brittle, it might not like welding. Your welds will definitely be a different composition that the rest of the plate and could do interesting things under a load.
I just guessed at it being high carbon from the amount of sparks, it was in the cut off bin at work. Ive been googling welding high carbon and your right, im not going to screw with it, maybe just use it for those outside brackets like PolkaPower made.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-28-2021, 09:13 PM
Titnado1
1998 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Sure. You can cut out the entire center section and replace it with tube if you want. Just weld in the new brace before you totally cut it out or the horns/frame rails may twist.

Not sure how mych approach angle you need. It's got a good bit already.
Are you building a rock crawler?Attachment 4010385

Here's another idea.
Attachment 4010389
Attachment 4010391
Attachment 4010393

ok that is a decent angle. from the other pics it looked like it would stick out more. very nice job

If you can drive it, fly it, or bang it.... rent it.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-28-2021, 09:28 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titnado1 View Post
ok that is a decent angle. from the other pics it looked like it would stick out more. very nice job

Just wide enough for a winch!

Titnado1 likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-29-2021, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
SoTex95ZJ

@PolkaPower thats a really good aproach angle, how far out does it stick and whats your lift/tire combo?
post #13 of 14 Old 09-29-2021, 10:59 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
@PolkaPower thats a really good aproach angle, how far out does it stick and whats your lift/tire combo?

Not exactly sure how far. I'm not near it to measure. Lift is 5.5 x35s.
My buddy just got a Smittybilt winch and still had the box with the mounting measurements so that what I used to determine the width.img_20190520_182536.jpg
img_4846.jpg

post #14 of 14 Old 10-17-2021, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
SoTex95ZJ

Well its off to a good start, ended up going with 5/16 mild steel across the bottom and had to button it up real quick before i could add the skid and something to protect the lights- my mom passed unexpectedly and gotta drive from Tx to Ca pretty soon. But its good enough for now! Anyone between here and there want to wheel when im heading back?
Attached Thumbnails
20211017_203917_1634521684189.jpg   20211017_204046_1634521759375.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in