Will it fit? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 02-17-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
bobbrugge

Will it fit?

My poor old 96 jeeper.

Odometer has 318k. Not sure if it is all original or not, I am guessing not, It doesn't smoke or rattle or anything. Drives great, stops great, goes over everything Montana has to offer and it is bone stock.

But its tired. Trans is starting to slip, power is down.

I have the opportunity to get an 02 dakota 4x4, same 5.2, auto trans, same same everything, different body.

My intention is to yard the engine trans and xfer case out of the 02 and stuff them into the 96. I figure I will have to change out the intake and maybe the exhaust, Not sure what other headaches I might be facing. My theory is I can use the base engine, trans, and xfer case, bolt my 96's junk on it and stuff it back in the jeep and have it run AND drive. That may be wishful thinking. I have the technical experience to perform the labor and mostly not screw it up.

Anybody else done this? Are there any other parts off the truck that are interchangeable? I could probably scavenge the front and rear diffs, but idk why I would want to. I wonder if the truck seat would fit in the jeep. The interior on the 96 is in fairly good shape, but seat covers are plentiful if one will provide a more cushy ride.

What else might I not be considering?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-17-2019, 01:45 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The engine is the same, that will swap straight.

The dodge transmissions have the starter on the wrong side, you need longer starter wiring and custom exhaust if you want to use a dodge transmission. The electrics are also going to be the newer flavor.

The transfer case may not have the provision for the jeep speedo, not sure on the year break there.

Generally, it's not a good match.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in