What's a good steering box replacement? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-21-2005, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
ZJ Limited

What's a good steering box replacement?

The orginal steering box from my 94 ZJ with 177k miles has enough play to where I want to replace it. Question is, should I go with a new Mopar one or is a remanufactured one good enough from Auto Zone (etc) okay? I don't need anything fancy and my tire size is only 235/75R15.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

The reman will most likely meet your needs.
The warranties offered by Autozone et al are quite good.

HTH

Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited
post #3 of 8 Old 08-22-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
ZJ Limited

Thanks for the tip! I didn't think about asking before but I wonder if it can be adjusted to be tighter? If so, how to do it - tighten up the nut on top of the box?

post #4 of 8 Old 08-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Yes it can, no it doesn't.

CAUTION: Steering gear must be adjusted in the proper order. If adjustments are not performed in order, gear damage and improper steering response may result.

NOTE: Adjusting the steering gear in the vehicle is not recommended. Remove gear from the vehicle and drain the fluid. Then mount gear in a vise to perfrom adjustments.

Worm thrust bearing preload
1. Remove adjuster plug lucknut
2. Turn the adjuster in with Spanner Wrench C-4381. Tighten the plug and thrust bearing in the housing until firlmy bottomed in housing.
3. Place an index mark on the housing even with one of the holes in adjuster plug.
4. Measure back (counterclockwise) 13 mm and mark housing.
5. Rotate adjustment cap back (counterclockwise) with spanner wrench until hole is aligned with the second mark.
6. Install and tighten locknut to 80 ft. lbs.. Be sure adjustment cap does not turn while tightening the locknut.

Over-center
1. Rotate the stub shaft from stop to stop and count the number of turns.
2. Starting at either stop turn the stub shaft back 1/2 the total number of turns. The is the center of the gear travel.
3. Turn the pitman shaft adjuster screw back (counterclockwise) until extended, then turn back in (Clockwise) one full turn.
4. Place the torque wrench in the vertical position on the stub shaft. Rotate the wrench 45 degrees each side of the center and record the highest rotational torque on center.
5. Turn the adjuster in until torque to turn stub shaft is 6.0 to 10.0 in. lbs. more than previous reading recorded.
6. Prevent the adjuster screw from turning while tightening adjuster lock nut. Tighten the adjuster lock nut to 20 ft. lbs.

Keep in mind, speed proportional steering has a different spool valve than standard power steering. If you decide to simply replace the gear box, you'll want to get the same kind you have now.

HTH

Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited
post #5 of 8 Old 08-22-2005, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
ZJ Limited

I really appriecate you looking up the info for me, but with all that's involved I might as well just replace the old box with rebuilt one!
post #6 of 8 Old 10-05-2005, 08:43 PM
acrscotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
Keep in mind, speed proportional steering has a different spool valve than standard power steering. If you decide to simply replace the gear box, you'll want to get the same kind you have now.
I'm about to buy a new steering box for my Jeep but how do I know what kind I already have - speed proportional, or not???

Thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-05-2005, 11:23 PM
PumaZJ

PSC21MR is a good box from performance steering customs. that is if you wanan put one tion tie rods on a d40 knuckel. i'd do it.

1998 ZJ - 36's & bent unibody - RIP
2004 WJ - Expedition build
2011 A4 - DD
post #8 of 8 Old 10-06-2005, 09:54 AM
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
Yes it can, no it doesn't.

CAUTION: Steering gear must be adjusted in the proper order. If adjustments are not performed in order, gear damage and improper steering response may result.

NOTE: Adjusting the steering gear in the vehicle is not recommended. Remove gear from the vehicle and drain the fluid. Then mount gear in a vise to perfrom adjustments.

Worm thrust bearing preload
1. Remove adjuster plug lucknut
2. Turn the adjuster in with Spanner Wrench C-4381. Tighten the plug and thrust bearing in the housing until firlmy bottomed in housing.
3. Place an index mark on the housing even with one of the holes in adjuster plug.
4. Measure back (counterclockwise) 13 mm and mark housing.
5. Rotate adjustment cap back (counterclockwise) with spanner wrench until hole is aligned with the second mark.
6. Install and tighten locknut to 80 ft. lbs.. Be sure adjustment cap does not turn while tightening the locknut.

Over-center
1. Rotate the stub shaft from stop to stop and count the number of turns.
2. Starting at either stop turn the stub shaft back 1/2 the total number of turns. The is the center of the gear travel.
3. Turn the pitman shaft adjuster screw back (counterclockwise) until extended, then turn back in (Clockwise) one full turn.
4. Place the torque wrench in the vertical position on the stub shaft. Rotate the wrench 45 degrees each side of the center and record the highest rotational torque on center.
5. Turn the adjuster in until torque to turn stub shaft is 6.0 to 10.0 in. lbs. more than previous reading recorded.
6. Prevent the adjuster screw from turning while tightening adjuster lock nut. Tighten the adjuster lock nut to 20 ft. lbs.

HTH
WOW I never wanna go there.

One thing you can do is just tweak the adjustment nut and see how it feels. Just keep tightening it 1/4 turn at a time until you feel the steering wheel binding on hard turns. Then back the adjuster off 1/8 turn at a time until everything is smooth. This adjustment takes time, because you need to drive it and make several hard turns to see how it feels after each adjustment. Make sure you hold the adjustment nut firm when you tighten the locknut, or you'll have to start over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in