What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 3404 - JeepForum.com
 1392Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51046 of 51481 Old 07-14-2019, 05:35 PM
KiloWatts

1996 ZJ 

Got the Rancho RS5000s on. Turns out my excessive lean and body roll was due to my worn out Bilstein 4600s. I only got 3 years out of those things before they started bouncing out of control. Kind of surprising since they have such a good reputation around here. These new Ranchos, I don't think they're bad at all so far. We'll see how long they last.

1996 4.0 L6 RWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #51047 of 51481 Old 07-14-2019, 05:42 PM
SHeadrick
1998 ZJ 

Started the lift process. Got all the old out and got the new arms in. Waiting on a new bolt for the track bar. Should have the rear done next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
20190714_182013_1563147627852.jpg  
post #51048 of 51481 Old 07-15-2019, 08:38 AM
IMMORTEN

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Different manufacturer, same technology.

Ah gotcha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #51049 of 51481 Old 07-15-2019, 03:02 PM
BeardyHat

1998 ZJ 

Working on getting my old radiator out today and after removing the upper support, I noticed that my AC condenser is beat to hell and should probably be replaced.

The part is cheap enough, but what do I do about the refrigerant? Should I take it over to a shop and have them drain the system, then proceed from there?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
post #51050 of 51481 Old 07-15-2019, 04:03 PM
1996maroonzjf
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardyHat View Post
The part is cheap enough, but what do I do about the refrigerant? Should I take it over to a shop and have them drain the system, then proceed from there?

Yes, bring it to a shop that has the equipment to capture the refrigerant. It is a federal offence to release refrigerant into the atmosphere.

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18
#2- HP30/Ford 8.8 - 4.56, OME HDs, 5100's, IRO Adj Arms/Track Bars
post #51051 of 51481 Old 07-15-2019, 04:51 PM
BeardyHat

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996maroonzjf View Post
Yes, bring it to a shop that has the equipment to capture the refrigerant. It is a federal offence to release refrigerant into the atmosphere.
Will do. I assume any old shop can do it?

Was able to get the new radiator in and all the lines hooked up, but I'm going to need to run over to Napa, as triangular radiator support on the passenger side wasn't even bolted in on the bottom, so I may as well get the bolts I need and hook that back up correctly.

Hopefully get this tied up tonight or tomorrow and maybe I'll stop overheating!

post #51052 of 51481 Old 07-15-2019, 05:01 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996maroonzjf View Post
Correct, when they arrest you your next stop is the Group W Bench, with all the father rapers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51053 of 51481 Old 07-15-2019, 05:07 PM
BRBauer2
1997 ZJ 

Took her on her first long drive since bringing her home. 120 miles round trip and got 23mpg! Temps stayed right at 210 and she loves cruising at 65.

Only negative was a noticeable bearing noise from the rear. New rear wheel bearings and seals on the way already.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #51054 of 51481 Old 07-16-2019, 03:15 AM
IMMORTEN

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Bought some paint and primer to paint my god awful and sad looking wheels this upcoming weekend.

I am a total n00b when it comes to painting and to be honest I hate painting things, and my knowledge about painting Aluminum wheels are only as good as the how-to videos on YouTube....but I think we can all agree that they cant possibly get to look any worse than they do now.

post #51055 of 51481 Old 07-16-2019, 04:28 AM
BRBauer2
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMORTEN View Post
Bought some paint and primer to paint my god awful and sad looking wheels this upcoming weekend.
Painting is all about the prep. You'll want to degrease every nook and cranny, then wash with dish soap, then rinse, then rinse again, get the air compressor out and blow out all the crevices, then let it dry 100%, and finally you can paint. Remember, 3 light coats are better than 1 heavy one.

You might even want to get at those with a wire brush and some sand paper to make sure any corrosion is eliminated.
IMMORTEN likes this.
post #51056 of 51481 Old 07-16-2019, 04:56 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

When I painted wheels (not Jeep) w/ aerosol lacquer, the only issue I had was the elevated southern Florida ambient temperature caused some drying prior to contact and an imperfect final result.

As was stated, preparation is the most important step. The woven scouring pads are available in different texture that might be useful. Sand paper could also be handy. A feel-smooth starting point is important. Dust-free is important. Removal of the wheel weight(s) would be useful.

When I did mine, I broke the bead and masked the tire that remained floppy loose in-place.

Note that the OEM finish appears to be two tone, w/ the pockets and surfaces as different colors. It might be possible to retain that result by priming all, masking the pockets then silver over face, or all one finish is good too.

The paint I used had a clear top coat.
IMMORTEN likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51057 of 51481 Old 07-16-2019, 07:13 AM
IMMORTEN

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Great advice fellers, thank you

post #51058 of 51481 Old 07-16-2019, 08:20 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
When I painted wheels (not Jeep) w/ aerosol lacquer, the only issue I had was the elevated southern Florida ambient temperature caused some drying prior to contact and an imperfect final result.

As was stated, preparation is the most important step. The woven scouring pads are available in different texture that might be useful. Sand paper could also be handy. A feel-smooth starting point is important. Dust-free is important. Removal of the wheel weight(s) would be useful.

When I did mine, I broke the bead and masked the tire that remained floppy loose in-place.

Note that the OEM finish appears to be two tone, w/ the pockets and surfaces as different colors. It might be possible to retain that result by priming all, masking the pockets then silver over face, or all one finish is good too.

The paint I used had a clear top coat.
My custom-ordered 2011 GT Mustang had the optional Brembo package. Part of that package was the really cool wheels.

Mine was an early Mustang, built prior to Ford realizing that the wheels should be painted w/ a product that doesn't wash off w/ normal car soap.

My vehicle was washed, at-least weekly, and the silver wheel paint washed off, exposing the black base coat.

Eventually I resolved the problem. Stripping off the remaining silver, breaking the bead, masking the tire and masking the interior. These were then painted w/ Wurth Silver Wheel Paint aerosol and Wurth GL Clear Lacquer Spray Paint.

The wheels looked new afterwards.

OEM Silver Scrubbed Off - Black Base Paint Remaining - Bead Broken - Masked for Paint

Wurth Silver Wheel Paint

Wurth GL Clear Lacquer Spray Paint
LittleFootZJ and IMMORTEN like this.

post #51059 of 51481 Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 AM
BeardyHat

1998 ZJ 

Well, the Jeep has decided to throw a litany of issues at me, apparently, so I think I may need to just let it sit in the garage for awhile so I can be less frustrated with it.

I replaced the radiator and am trying to get the air out of the system, which was successful, but now my AC compressor won't disengage. Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but my thermostat doesn't want to open, as even getting up beyond 195* I'm not getting any heat in the car.

Not sure if it's a fools errand or not, but I think I'll swap back to my old battery cables for now and see how things go, as I wasn't having any of these issues prior to the new ones.

post #51060 of 51481 Old 07-16-2019, 11:18 AM
HRstretch

Went to move the ZJ and dash gauges went crazy, switches for door and windows wouldn't work. Wiggled key and gauges started working as well as door windows switches, wiggled more and haywire again. Ordered new ignition switch to replace? Got love electrical issues????

1998 Jeep ZJ Limited 4.0L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in