What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 2131 - JeepForum.com
 1865Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31951 of 52325 Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 PM
AlphaLorde

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
I've decided that my nifty hot air cleaner intake and air conditioning are mutually exclusive. You can't have both of them. So, for now, AC wins. Instead... Dual 4" tubes, battery in the trunk, and two fully enclosed heat shields? Something to keep me busy until I have cash money for giggle gas and other stuff.

I've thought about running two air elements like that for some time. It just wouldnt be cost effective.
http://www.spectreperformance.com/se...aspx?prod=9824
I was thinking of one of these or whatever angle would be best. Cost stopped me from continuing my thought process on it. Running two elements with vents of some sort right above the filters.

1998 ZJ Laredo 5.2L 139k 231 w/SYE artec trussed 8.8 4.25"F/5"R lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31952 of 52325 Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 PM
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Or leave it stock its not going to help you in anyway. Aftermarket intakes on n/a motors are a waste of money and time but to each there own I guess.
post #31953 of 52325 Old 04-29-2014, 08:51 PM
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJDave
Or leave it stock its not going to help you in anyway. Aftermarket intakes on n/a motors are a waste of money and time but to each there own I guess.
My vacuum gauge says otherwise, but... Whatever.

Plus, I've always liked doing stupid ****.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum

March 2014 GCOTM. 1998 Deep Slate 5.9
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys

post #31954 of 52325 Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 PM
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

On mine, I swapped to a Durango air hat and re-did the 3" tubing from the airbox to the air hat and the tubing that feeds into the stock box. It flows well enough that with heads and cam, there's no difference in intake vacuum at 5500 rpm at WOT with the intake on vs running open throttle body (there's some restriction either way, about 2.25" of vacuum at 5500 rpm, as the 52mm throttle body isn't big enough).
post #31955 of 52325 Old 04-29-2014, 09:39 PM
roughknight69

1995 ZJ 

Took a photo with her sibling
Attached Images

Build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31956 of 52325 Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
Ran out of bedliner.. I didn't realize it was going to take over two full cans :O top coat ended up being rubberized underbody coating, so I'll see how it turns out.. This will be interesting. Worst case, sand it down a little and add new top coats.

Before:

After:

Yes, there are shadows messing with the after pic, it wasn't painting errors BTW

It was either bedline my current headliner or fork out $350 for a poly injection molded black shell to get what I like
All you needed was some fabric and spray adhesive... I did mine for about $20 sunroof cover too. Got my black fleece at Joan's fabrics and adhesive glue at Walmart. One of my best investments so far!

Can't beat a Jeep
post #31957 of 52325 Old 04-29-2014, 10:28 PM
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughknight69 View Post
Took a photo with her sibling
Its so little. You going to lift it?

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum
post #31958 of 52325 Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 AM
SchizophrenicMC
2016 JK Wrangler 

The thing about putting an air hat on the ZJ intake is, the factory intake is what you'd consider a Cold Air Intake. Doing anything else is hot air intake. You may get slightly better airflow, but it's all air that's been spending time around the exhaust manifolds, so it's significantly less dense. Denser air makes more power- that's a fact. That's why forced induction works.

The factory ZJ intake terminates directly behind the driver headlight, drawing air from a cold supply, through tubing that keeps the air relatively insulated, into greater restrictions, like the air hat, throttle body, and manifold, all of which restrict airflow more than the factory intake. The air hat itself should be considered for replacement, and the throttle body can stand to be bored out 1-2mm. The real gains will be seen from improving manifold airflow. Port the keg as they say. I feel that, if Jeep had more to work with, as far as clearance with the hood, the air hat wouldn't have been so disappointingly restrictive. Unfortunately the hood is super high as it is, and there's no lowering the engine either, so a small air hat it is.

I wonder what would have happened if they'd just redesigned the manifold to intake at the front, rather than from the top. Could have used a single large throttle body, too, and there would be a lot shorter travel from the airbox to the manifold, and none of it would be over the exhaust. I can only imagine. After all, GM did what I described to its small-block series when they switched from TBI to MPI in 1995 for the Vortec series.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
post #31959 of 52325 Old 04-30-2014, 02:11 AM
roughknight69

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big98tnzj
Its so little. You going to lift it? Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum
Plan is metal cloak fenders 2.5in lift and 35s. Keeping it low

Build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31960 of 52325 Old 04-30-2014, 07:20 AM
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
The thing about putting an air hat on the ZJ intake is, the factory intake is what you'd consider a Cold Air Intake. Doing anything else is hot air intake. You may get slightly better airflow, but it's all air that's been spending time around the exhaust manifolds, so it's significantly less dense. Denser air makes more power- that's a fact. That's why forced induction works.
You don't say?

It'll be dense. Don't worry about it. And it'll be feeding new heads and a cam with a fairly radical profile. And spray. And it'll keep doing that until I start finding piston rings in the oil pan. Then it'll be feeding something new altogether.

Quote:
The factory ZJ intake terminates directly behind the driver headlight, drawing air from a cold supply, through tubing that keeps the air relatively insulated, into greater restrictions, like the air hat, throttle body, and manifold, all of which restrict airflow more than the factory intake. The air hat itself should be considered for replacement, and the throttle body can stand to be bored out 1-2mm. The real gains will be seen from improving manifold airflow. Port the keg as they say. I feel that, if Jeep had more to work with, as far as clearance with the hood, the air hat wouldn't have been so disappointingly restrictive. Unfortunately the hood is super high as it is, and there's no lowering the engine either, so a small air hat it is.
The TB is already a 52mm bore. I also have a turtle'd 4bbl M1 on the shelf in the garage. Looking for a 4bbl TB. I have no problem hacking up the hood. Been there, done that. I want all the airflow, and I want it now.

And the ported keg has been 99% debunked as beneficial. For some reason, "some people" seem to hold on to it as the holy grail of DIY hp mods along with swapping Neon injectors... It's been dyno'd to death on Dakota forums, and the resounding answer was "it's not worth it."

Quote:
I wonder what would have happened if they'd just redesigned the manifold to intake at the front, rather than from the top. Could have used a single large throttle body, too, and there would be a lot shorter travel from the airbox to the manifold, and none of it would be over the exhaust. I can only imagine. After all, GM did what I described to its small-block series when they switched from TBI to MPI in 1995 for the Vortec series.
I will agree with you here. The whole magnum series manifold design (and the magnum engine in general) is archaic. That's why I like them... I'm not the brightest, and they're simple.

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
post #31961 of 52325 Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 AM
IceTreaux
1995 ZJ 

Put in a new 5.2 long block, cleaned and painted all my other junk, cracked heads are a PITA
post #31962 of 52325 Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 AM
SchizophrenicMC
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
You don't say?

And the ported keg has been 99% debunked as beneficial. For some reason, "some people" seem to hold on to it as the holy grail of DIY hp mods along with swapping Neon injectors... It's been dyno'd to death on Dakota forums, and the resounding answer was "it's not worth it."

I will agree with you here. The whole magnum series manifold design (and the magnum engine in general) is archaic. That's why I like them... I'm not the brightest, and they're simple.
To be fair, the Neon injectors don't add power, but they improve throttle response. They're better at atomizing the fuel, which means as flow increases, the fuel remains a fine mist, meaning it mixes better with the air coming in, giving instant response from the throttle. Compare to the normal single-pintle injectors, which spray a needle spray of fuel that doesn't mix as thoroughly on the first pass, giving a slight lag in throttle response. This isn't something that can be proven on a dyno, it's just something you'll feel in your foot, and in how the car responds.

With that said, the Magnum is an archaic engine, but then so is the LS-series Vortec. But the Vortec at least had a useful intake manifold. I mean, in either case, the manifold had to be redesigned to account for MPI- I just don't get why they didn't take the opportunity then and there to make a useful intake.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
post #31963 of 52325 Old 04-30-2014, 11:31 AM
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Last time I went wheeling with a jeep that had a "custom intake" it hydro locked the motor cuz it sucked water in it. Its not the fast and the furious here. And if your trying to build a jeep for performance wtf if wrong with you its a jeep.
post #31964 of 52325 Old 04-30-2014, 11:35 AM
96_zj_laredo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Last time I went wheeling with a jeep that had a "custom intake" it hydro locked the motor cuz it sucked water in it. Its not the fast and the furious here. And if your trying to build a jeep for performance wtf if wrong with you its a jeep.
Yeah I gots a 4.0 I know it useless to try and make it fast

All I need in life is my Jeep, my guns, and my wrenches... And maybe some fine women too
post #31965 of 52325 Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 AM
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_zj_laredo

Yeah I gots a 4.0 I know it useless to try and make it fast
You'd be surprised... There's a dude with a supercharged, stripped 4.7 stroker. He's not super slow.

Quote:

I have arthritis so bad I can't stand to sit in small "sports" cars or ride motorcycles anymore. Always been a fan of Molar muscle, but I can't afford/stand to sit in most of them. So I play with niners.

I also have a BB lifted 5.2 with some armor and M/Ts. It's what I use for offload and bad weather abuse. It has a durango air hat into the stock box, so no hydro lock worries. This one is my go fast, nice stereo, comfortable DD Jeep. Nothing wrong with having a toy that's actually pleasant to ride in...

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in