Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#50,801 ·
Yeah, there's not really a way to set up the storage pins without the front skid. The front skid isn't something most people run because it's pretty useless offroad.

If I'm really prepared I use baling wire, otherwise zip ties.

#50,804 ·
Drivers side front tire and passenger side rear tire was leaking air. So I took it to a local tire shop, and after they had a look at it, they said the valves were leaking (He showed it bobbing around the valve after spraying it with water), so I gave them the go ahead to replace both.

Fingers crossed that solves it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So far so good, I have done a lot of driving this weekend and tires are holding up great.

The Jeep feels a lot more balanced and doesn't have that "boat like" feeling / feedback from the steering anymore.

What a difference not having two leaky tires has made!

#50,805 ·
Successfully completed the 2019 Colorado Gambler 500 this weekend. I was running support for my friends team and the ZJ didn’t skip a beat. I can’t say the same for our gambler car, a $450 1991 Mazda B2600i truck, lost a wheel on Saturday. Somehow no studs were sheared, and we were able to scavenge lug nuts from the other 3 wheels and we were back on the trail in no time. Saw some interesting and amazing vehicles out there, but surprisingly only one ZJ gambler car. Technically my ZJ would qualify since I payed $500 for it, but I was just running support to pull our teams truck out or help with a trailside fix. Already looking for another dirt cheap ZJ to run as a gambler next year

Attachments

#50,806 ·
Successfully completed the 2019 Colorado Gambler 500 this weekend. I was running support for my friends team and the ZJ didn't skip a beat. I can't say the same for our gambler car, a $450 1991 Mazda B2600i truck, lost a wheel on Saturday. Somehow no studs were sheared, and we were able to scavenge lug nuts from the other 3 wheels and we were back on the trail in no time. Saw some interesting and amazing vehicles out there, but surprisingly only one ZJ gambler car. Technically my ZJ would qualify since I payed $500 for it, but I was just running support to pull our teams truck out or help with a trailside fix. Already looking for another dirt cheap ZJ to run as a gambler next year
Pretty cool. I had no idea we had a local Gambler. Been talking to my buddies about doing Lemons eventually, but this looks better if I can get them interested!

Finally got a decent picture of my ZJ with all the new suspension. I'm going to head to a mild trail this Sunday and see how it does.

I think I'll probably start installing my stereo this weekend as well; never done it before, so hopefully the cutting and splicing won't be too bad, but I'm excited to finally have some tunes.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

#50,807 ·
Mine have been in the glovebox for at least 8 years [emoji23].

But seriously, y'all just ditched 'em and use zip ties? I was thinking I was being cheap and lazy for doing that.

As far as mounting on the skid is that as high as you can tuck them? I always tucked mine up as high as I could swing them. Ziptied the endlinks to the bar and then that ziptie to another ziptie I always had attached to the top side of the wheel well. Not sure it ever rubbed but the ziptied broke a few times on the Mojave road and I had to redo them. After that trip I removed the sways completely to diagnose a knocking noise and just never put them back in.

I use velcro straps on each side to keep the endlink attached to the bar and I have a cable with dog leash clip end to hold the bar up. I can get pics tomorrow.

You can see the green cable in this pic.
Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

#50,808 ·
Pretty cool. I had no idea we had a local Gambler. Been talking to my buddies about doing Lemons eventually, but this looks better if I can get them interested!

Finally got a decent picture of my ZJ with all the new suspension. I'm going to head to a mild trail this Sunday and see how it does.

I think I'll probably start installing my stereo this weekend as well; never done it before, so hopefully the cutting and splicing won't be too bad, but I'm excited to finally have some tunes.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
What wheels are those?

Are they steel wheels or alloy?

#50,809 ·
Those look like steel base model wheels, maybe from an XJ?

#50,817 ·
Installed my new head unit and four speakers from Crutchfield today, it all went pretty well but I think my stock Infinity Gold amp may be toast. I wired the new head unit into the amp, but as soon as the volume gets over 20-something, all sound cuts out; but removing the wire from the head unit to the stock harness and everything is normal.

Maybe I'll get a new amp in the future, but I don't think it's a high priority at the moment, as I'm just happy to finally have some tunes.

#50,818 ·
I have them on mine, too, but obviously black. I like them both colors, but that's just me.
Looks almost like something "official" with the white paint and black steel wheels.....like a police or site managers vehicle...or something like that [emoji846]

I have actually been toying around with the idea of painting my wheels black....mainly just for the sake of practicality

#50,820 ·
Looks almost like something "official" with the white paint and black steel wheels.....like a police or site managers vehicle...or something like that [emoji846]

I have actually been toying around with the idea of painting my wheels black....mainly just for the sake of practicality

Yeah, it is kind of "utilitarian" in appearance. My TJ also has black wheels, but the center caps are black. I like the ZJ with the gray center caps to break up all the blackness.