Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#39,901 ·
mudhawg93 said:
Had to take the rebel flag off the back of my jeep at work because somebody said it was offensive and they were gonna tell their friends and family not to shop at the store. I went and took it off and my boss felt so bad about the fact that I had to take it off Sent from my S5 somewhere in the woods
these are dark times my friend..........
Didn't get paid so I have to wait till Monday to go to the DMV

#39,902 ·
Got it all back together. Cranked it up with the front wheels off the ground and bled the pump/gear box. Didn't seem to be leaking except for what I spilled and straightened up the steering wheel. Gonna test drive it tomorrow to take the borrowed tool back to AAP. Fingers crossed!

#39,903 ·
Installed my lift, new blisten shocks, rear sway bar links. I was going to replace the links when I did the control arms and track bars but one on the rear broke off when removing it.
Also sprayed down everything with deep creap again...Also realized the front track bar is going to be a problem because the axle side bolt is seized to the spacer inside the bushing.
one of the lower bolts on the rear shocks was this way and I was able to heat it and use a small pair of vice grips to hold the spacer but I don't have the room on the track bar. Any ideas that would make this easier I am open too.

Attachments

#39,904 ·
Installed my lift, new blisten shocks, rear sway bar links. I was going to replace the links when I did the control arms and track bars but one on the rear broke off when removing it.
Also sprayed down everything with deep creap again...Also realized the front track bar is going to be a problem because the axle side bolt is seized to the spacer inside the bushing.
one of the lower bolts on the rear shocks was this way and I was able to heat it and use a small pair of vice grips to hold the spacer but I don't have the room on the track bar. Any ideas that would make this easier I am open too.
I've got a few ideas for you, but it's hard to say what you'll be able to do, since I don't know what kind of tools you have. The simplest and first thing I would try is to take the dorky washer/nut that goes on that bolt down to the hardware store to use the thread gauge and buy a few nuts that are the same size. I know there isn't a lot of room inside that bracket, but you basically want enough nuts to cover the exposed length of the bolt on the other side of the seized bushing. I'm thinking two should do it. Then you take a thin piece of metal like a small wrench that will fit in the gap between the back side of the bracket and the end of the bolt snugly, with all the extra nuts on it. This will provide something for your new threaded "pipe" to push on and won't allow the nuts to fall off. After that is said and done, take your wrench and hold the closest bolt (probably the factory bolt) and unscrew as usual the extra threaded length will help break that rust to allow you to back the bolt out. You might use tape to hold your wedge (wrench or whatever you'd like to use on the back) in place so you can hold the wrench on the nut safely.
The other thing I would do, since I have a welder, is cut out the front section of the bracket and weld it back in. Should be three easy cuts.
Tip: use a strip of electrical tape on the inside of your wrench to hold a nut in a tricky place like that. When you thread the nuts on you can do them one at a time and turn the bolt to thread it on. I'massuming that it turns freely since you've doused it in pb blaster.... that tape trick also works for sockets. Since you might be doing the suspension too, I thought I might mention that. I lost a couple sockets in my frame rails for a while until I use a wire hanger and tied a loop in one end about three inches back to thread through the socket and push it back out so I could grab it. Trickery, but it works! I keep a hanger hooked in my frame rail in case I ever need it.

#39,905 ·
Worked on my bumper a little bit today. I had to put it back together after I dropped it on the cement and broke off a side. It was only tack welded on, but quickly became a real pain to get back in place because of the odd angles and, being pipe, it didn't wanna stay where I put it lol. It's funny now, but I had to measure the angles carefully since it wasn't on the jeep. I tested it after tacking it more securely and got it right, so I spent the next several hours going over it and strengthening all the welds. I still have a lot of work to do, but it's coming along. If it's not too hot tomorrow, I might cut out the other pieces to reinforce the thing. I still have to cut my d rings, so I might do that too. I'm thinking that I might be able to use my stepper bits to get the hole large enough for a good shackle. I still have to make the tire carrier, but one thing at a time.

Attachments

#39,906 ·
Not many are going going to touch this post with a ten foot pole but I gotta say this. We live in a fear mongering society, some use fear to justify control, some use fear to better their situation. It is only useful if the people in the situation allow themselves to be manipulated by it. History over time usually corrects errors in judgment, sometimes it does not. The human mind is a mass recorder and unless you go to erasing minds, the mistakes will always be carried over, no matter what visual opinions are displayed. Which kinda makes it perplexing when a symbol of any sort is held as the devils pitchfork, when its the mind [and the heart} that should govern reaction or the lack of thereof. Usually, the more that the mind is bombarded daily with something, over time the less it is considered to be a valid point, or worthy of consideration.
I must say, that was very well said. :thumbsup: It doesn't help having things plastered all over the news and social media to "brainwash" people. It seems that most of society doesn't have the ability to think for themselves or choose not to based on the possibility of being ridiculed or shunned

Nice! I been tossing around that idea as well, I just don't have a reason to lol

Sweet! How much is it lowered?

these are dark times my friend..........
Didn't get paid so I have to wait till Monday to go to the DMV
Yes they are and sadly I don't see anyone turning the lights on anytime soon

Sent from my S5 somewhere in the woods

#39,908 ·
Nice! I been tossing around that idea as well, I just don't have a reason to lol
They are nice to have during that time you DO need them. For whatever reason I have had more TCs happen in front of me then I think most others will ever hear about....

Plus for 20 bucks from ebay. They will do what they need to when I need them (again).

#39,911 ·
Installed adjustable front upper and lower control arms yesterday...WOW what a difference they make in the ride, no more swaying and no more death wobble tendencies. Ever since I installed the lift the ride has been crappie, now it rides like a dream. Funny how a lift brings out a problem you weren't aware of...

#39,912 ·
Mel63 said:
Installed adjustable front upper and lower control arms yesterday...WOW what a difference they make in the ride, no more swaying and no more death wobble tendencies. Ever since I installed the lift the ride has been crappie, now it rides like a dream. Funny how a lift brings out a problem you weren't aware of...
no kidding lol. That's why I'm going back to stock at some point. Im gonna get something with leaf springs for an off-road vehicle next time

#39,913 ·
Not many are going going to touch this post with a ten foot pole but I gotta say this. We live in a fear mongering society, some use fear to justify control, some use fear to better their situation. It is only useful if the people in the situation allow themselves to be manipulated by it. History over time usually corrects errors in judgment, sometimes it does not. The human mind is a mass recorder and unless you go to erasing minds, the mistakes will always be carried over, no matter what visual opinions are displayed. Which kinda makes it perplexing when a symbol of any sort is held as the devils pitchfork, when its the mind [and the heart} that should govern reaction or the lack of thereof. Usually, the more that the mind is bombarded daily with something, over time the less it is considered to be a valid point, or worthy of consideration.
I knew I liked you for a reason :p
Very well said sir. It's a bad day in this country when the rebel flag has become so offensive that it's debated if it should be banned or considered a sign of racism and oppression like a swastika. What's next, the Star of David considered a terrorist regime symbol?
This population has become so pussified, cowardly, demanding, bigoted, and of a "me, me, me" mentality that I foresee it getting only worse than it is currently..
And I should probably stop before I get the mods after me haha
On topic again, I didn't get a chance to do anything cause of rain. But I did make up 40lbs of chicken drumsticks on the grill(thank god for a covered patio) and like 8lbs of mashed potatoes.
Happy fourth everyone!!! Be safe and have fun!!

#39,914 ·
Gearhead31 said:
I knew I liked you for a reason :p Very well said sir. It's a bad day in this country when the rebel flag has become so offensive that it's debated if it should be banned or considered a sign of racism and oppression like a swastika. What's next, the Star of David considered a terrorist regime symbol? This population has become so pussified, cowardly, demanding, bigoted, and of a "me, me, me" mentality that I foresee it getting only worse than it is currently.. And I should probably stop before I get the mods after me haha On topic again, I didn't get a chance to do anything cause of rain. But I did make up 40lbs of chicken drumsticks on the grill(thank god for a covered patio) and like 8lbs of mashed potatoes. Happy fourth everyone!!! Be safe and have fun!!
the mods are gonna come after you for making them hungry lol that sounds delicious my friend

#39,916 ·
Part of the plastic in the latch for the liftgate broke off one side when I closed it the other day, and I finally figured out why it broke today. After considering why it might have flexed enough to misalign the latch, I figured that since I don't have my trailer hitch bolted on right now and that my homebrew bumper, being only tack welded on and not finished, did not provide enough support for in between the frame rails, resulting in the unibody actually twisting a little when I opened the hatch because I was parked unevenly. The only problem I've ever had with the hatch was that the handle is a little loose and I sometimes have to push the door in a little to get it to open. I'm holding off on fixing that because I want to find a 96+ zj hatch with lift glass and replace my current hatch.
Anyway, I currently have my rear bumper off and in the garage to work on. I've already gone over about a third of it so far, layering the welds and strengthening it. If it wasn't so late, I would go out and start cutting out more filler pieces for both rigidity and appearance. If it turns out anything like what I have in my head, it will look really good. I'm feeling guilty about getting so motivated about my bumper when my transmission is out and I'm still sourcing parts to make everything fit.
I guess I'll just stay in tonight cuz my roommates ditched me, but happy fourth, everyone.

#39,917 ·
Matta, have to put some pics up of that bumper when you get it finished.

I am ordering a front bumper on Friday I have narrowed it down to the Hanson winch mount and the RockHard two very different bumpers in their style. If anyone has any advice or experience with these I am open to suggestions. I am not overly concerned with approach angles since she is not a crawler.

#39,918 ·
Matta, have to put some pics up of that bumper when you get it finished.

I am ordering a front bumper on Friday I have narrowed it down to the Hanson winch mount and the RockHard two very different bumpers in their style. If anyone has any advice or experience with these I am open to suggestions. I am not overly concerned with approach angles since she is not a crawler.
Running a Hanson on mine and have no complaints. It's taken a bit of a beating and held up fine.

Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

#39,920 ·
I must say, that was very well said. :thumbsup: It doesn't help having things plastered all over the news and social media to "brainwash" people. It seems that most of society doesn't have the ability to think for themselves or choose not to based on the possibility of being ridiculed or shunned

Sweet! How much is it lowered?

Yes they are and sadly I don't see anyone turning the lights on anytime soon

Sent from my S5 somewhere in the woods
Don't get me wrong, I'm not racists, one of my best friends is of color. We would pretty much do anything to help each other. It's just the ridiculous tendency that the world resides in now. Some one was telling me that a college had to remove some kind of vines from the fences because it reminded them of a slavery south. Better buy up a bunch of T shirts,it'll be cotton next.