Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#39,842 ·
IMO, that looks the perfect height for those tires, and those CA angles are a thing of beauty.

#39,843 ·
IMO, that looks the perfect height for those tires, and those CA angles are a thing of beauty.
Thanks dude. Gettin the pucks for free, and ordered 6" 5100s already. The heavy trimming and extended bumps work for now, but it seems like every day i find a new rub haha
Will be at 5.5" lift/long arms and 35s soon. Loving the low cog look though

#39,844 ·
It's an aluminum case yeah? Just media blast it clean and call it done.

If you're dead set on paint and want to spot leaks, paint it white. Not that a manual transmission should have any leaks. There aren't a great deal of places they can leak from.

I'm still not convinced an AX15 is the best option for a swap here. It seems to me an NV3500 would be a better choice, given that they're more often available with V8 bellhousings. But godspeed anyway.
Thanks. White is actually not a bad idea. I like something I can wipe clan when I'm under there doing maintenance and inspection.
It's true, a jeep nv3550/dodge 3500 is a slight upgrade, but not by much, and there are several reasons why I chose the ax15 in case you're interested:
1. Upgradable internals from Toyota trucks and supras. (Much better strength rating and deeper gearing options)
2. Bellhousing: Magnum bellhousing from either a Dakota 3.9, 5.2/5.9 with a manual (3550/3500) or even a 4.7 hemi bellhousing will all bolt directly to mine and they all have the same transmission to bh bolt pattern.
3. Fun!!!!!
4. Bellhousing and clutch compatibility with: ax15, 3550, 3500. This means that if my ax15 ever craps out on me and I can only find a different model transmission, I'll be able to use it with only slight modifications. This means that the transmission to bellhousing pattern is the same on all of these transmissions, including the nv1500 and possibly more, but I haven't found them yet.
5. Granted, this is a project borne of necessity, but still, I just need a project! :) (*scratches head* -do I like spending money or holding a wrench? What is it about my jeep that feeds my wrenching addiction?)
I've still got a little research to do about a couple things, but I'm sure this will go smoothly. The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is my transfer case: I know the ax15 was "factory married to the nv231" -Novak Adapters- and I know that obviously, the 249, 242, and the 231 are all related and will physically bolt on, but here's my issue: I swapped out my 249 for my 242 and swapped the input shafts. The case itself is out of an 88 or 89 Cherokee (lost my maintenance binder) and that would have meant that my input shaft (current) is a new gear cut, I think with the new 16mm bearing or something like that, but there were three shaft lengths and I don't remember which one mine was. I'm wondering if the input shafts out of a dodge tc are the same and interchangeable, by years, accordingly... I like to know things in advance when I go to PnP, in case I can't find the right parts on my first choice vehicles. Haha my jeep is a junkyard dog, so she doesn't mind trying on other parts from different vehicles: Ford, Audi, Volvo, Chevy, Cherokee, Dodge and finally, but not least, Lincoln!
6. Wheeeeeee!!!!!! :)

#39,845 ·
The nv3550/3500 internals aren't that much stronger than the ax15 anyway. Behind a healthy V8 you'll blow either trans. The AX-15 with the terminator guts has a better shot at it.

An 88-89 will be old gear cut which is what your 94 should have had. Long input shaft 23 spline for first gen V8's.

I'd be swapping to a clocked 231 and trying to go as flat belly as possible since you won't have as much trans pan hanging down anymore.

#39,846 ·
Thanks. White is actually not a bad idea. I like something I can wipe clan when I'm under there doing maintenance and inspection.
It's true, a jeep nv3550/dodge 3500 is a slight upgrade, but not by much, and there are several reasons why I chose the ax15 in case you're interested:
1. Upgradable internals from Toyota trucks and supras. (Much better strength rating and deeper gearing options)
2. Bellhousing: Magnum bellhousing from either a Dakota 3.9, 5.2/5.9 with a manual (3550/3500) or even a 4.7 hemi bellhousing will all bolt directly to mine and they all have the same transmission to bh bolt pattern.
3. Fun!!!!!
4. Bellhousing and clutch compatibility with: ax15, 3550, 3500. This means that if my ax15 ever craps out on me and I can only find a different model transmission, I'll be able to use it with only slight modifications. This means that the transmission to bellhousing pattern is the same on all of these transmissions, including the nv1500 and possibly more, but I haven't found them yet.
5. Granted, this is a project borne of necessity, but still, I just need a project! :) (*scratches head* -do I like spending money or holding a wrench? What is it about my jeep that feeds my wrenching addiction?)
I've still got a little research to do about a couple things, but I'm sure this will go smoothly. The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is my transfer case: I know the ax15 was "factory married to the nv231" -Novak Adapters- and I know that obviously, the 249, 242, and the 231 are all related and will physically bolt on, but here's my issue: I swapped out my 249 for my 242 and swapped the input shafts. The case itself is out of an 88 or 89 Cherokee (lost my maintenance binder) and that would have meant that my input shaft (current) is a new gear cut, I think with the new 16mm bearing or something like that, but there were three shaft lengths and I don't remember which one mine was. I'm wondering if the input shafts out of a dodge tc are the same and interchangeable, by years, accordingly... I like to know things in advance when I go to PnP, in case I can't find the right parts on my first choice vehicles. Haha my jeep is a junkyard dog, so she doesn't mind trying on other parts from different vehicles: Ford, Audi, Volvo, Chevy, Cherokee, Dodge and finally, but not least, Lincoln!
6. Wheeeeeee!!!!!! :)
With a nv3500 the tcase input shaft length doesn't matter. It doesn't create a seal with the trans output, like the auto trans do.

I'm not sure about the ax15 though.

#39,848 ·
The nv3550/3500 internals aren't that much stronger than the ax15 anyway. Behind a healthy V8 you'll blow either trans. The AX-15 with the terminator guts has a better shot at it.

An 88-89 will be old gear cut which is what your 94 should have had. Long input shaft 23 spline for first gen V8's.

I'd be swapping to a clocked 231 and trying to go as flat belly as possible since you won't have as much trans pan hanging down anymore.
If I could source a cheap 231, I would consider it, but my funds are extremely limited atm. I kinda lost my job the day my auto trans went out, so I'm scrambling to get it back on the road. I do know that I'll have to modify my crosmember a little and that isn't a big deal. I can always make a rig to clock my 242, which isn't a bad idea and I'm glad I thought of it now. Thanks for mentioning it! I know a guy who's selling a 231 for a hundred, but I need that money for other parts. What are the advantages to a 231 over a 242, besides the debatable strength rating? I never use part time 4x4 on my 242, as I've never been I'm a big enough bind to need it yet. Full time 4x4 will pull me straight up a mountain in first gear and barely even slips, so I'm a little unsure what the 231 would do differently. Thanks again for the input!

#39,850 ·
Yeah, crappers, guess I need to troll ebay and CL for a m1, pisser they stopped making the little ****.
That stinks that you're having trouble with the manifold, I'm sorry. I would be interested in hearing it how the m1 intake works for you. Do you have any experience with them? I was looking into it a little, but I think it would involve changing the cam and rockers to rollers to get the most benefit from changing the plenum that drastically, but I could be wrong. I'd love to hear how it goes if you can find one!
Oh, is your user name also your ham radio call sign?

#39,851 ·
We've got one for the shop managers niner (if I had known it was one of the last in existence I would have bought two). They seem to be quite good and it eliminates the plenum.

#39,852 ·
Got a new tie rod end boot for the one I destroyed getting the pitman arm off and ordered a new return hose. Gotta get a new pitman arm next. The only problem is that the reman'd pump has a reservoir on it that has a different opening for the cap than the one I have. I think the one I need is for a 93 ZJ or 87-91 yj/xj 2.5 or 2.1td, and I can't find one any where. Probably gonna have to find a part out or junkyard.

#39,853 ·
It turns out the glitter I saw in my oil was from the oil pump itself. My Melling M-72 decided to crack open somehow. No metal was pumped into the engine though as I had 0 oil pressure. I pulled the intake and there is no sign of metal there. I pulled the bearing caps and the bearings as well as crank journals are fine. Even the oil that was on the bottom end that pooled in the bottom of the pistons now is clean and there's no sign of metal on any of the bottom end. I know the Lucas saved the crank and bearings, but I wonder about the cam bearings now as well as the lifters. I might pull the cam and have new bearings installed since I've already got the engine out.

#39,859 ·
Watched the new owner drive it away :'(

I'll be looking for a niner to buy when I start working again. Glad I know what to do, and what not to do on these now. Also pointed him in the direction of this forum so we might be seeing a new member soon!

Attachments