Weird shifting issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
avandyck

Weird shifting issues

Hi there fellas. I'm looking for some advice on my Jeep tranny, I'll try to get straight to the point to make long story short.
I was driving down the hwy the other day, keeping a constant 65/70mph, everything was fine, there was some uphills and downhills along the road. After about an hour and a half, I stopped for a toll point and when I started driving the truck wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear. Stopped, checked level and was fine, kept driving but still the same, so I had to return, stopped again for about 45 minutes to let it cool, but still stuck at 2nd. Had to drive like that and after a while it was shifting fine but then issue came back to stuck at 2nd gr. Kept acting like that the next day so i Left the Jeep at home for 3 days and by now it is shifting fine.
I'm guessing it could be a solenoid or the pressure governor, but I'm not sure. Oil is at level but looks Brown and smells a little burnt, sometimes when I move forward from a stop I can hear a whinning noise, and also the tranny cooler on the front has a layer of mud on its top (already cleaned that up a lil bit)
Do you guys have any advice on this?
It's a 97 Laredo 4.0 liter straight 6.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-14-2020, 10:16 PM
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
... I worked at Jeep /// Chrysler for 7 years as a service advisor . I'd expect do a fluid change & replace the governor pressure solenoid & The transducer .& A new filter . Napa now sells those 2 pats &You don't have to go to CHRYSLER.
i'M RUNNING THE nAPA PARTS IN MINE NOW.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-15-2020, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
avandyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitt View Post
... I worked at Jeep /// Chrysler for 7 years as a service advisor . I'd expect do a fluid change & replace the governor pressure solenoid & The transducer .& A new filter . Napa now sells those 2 pats &You don't have to go to CHRYSLER.
i'M RUNNING THE nAPA PARTS IN MINE NOW.
Alright. Thx for the advice. Put down the tranny pan and there was a lot of shavings. They have to take the tranny out to inspect it but still have no news

post #4 of 11 Old 01-17-2020, 09:12 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

What kind of shavings? On my 93 I had similar symptoms, bought the solenoid and sensor but found a pile of aluminum (large shavings or slivers) in the pan. Ended up putting in a junkyard unit. That lasted 8 years. In any case, a bit of fine powdery trash is normal, big shavings probably mean rebuild or replace.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-17-2020, 10:33 AM
1996maroonzjf

1996 ZJ 

Garage
^ This.

Of course the shop is going to say you need a new trans. The internal workings of a transmission are terrifying to most people and they will never question a shop that says they need a new one.

These RE series transmissions can be repaired - usually it’s the electronics that go bad. Even if there is some debris in the pan it shouldn’t be instantly scrapped. After you replace the electronics - drop the pan two or three more times and it and you will be happy.

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18
#2- HP30/Ford 8.8 - 4.56, OME HDs, 5100's, IRO Adj Arms/Track Bars
post #6 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
avandyck

Well you're right guys. I'm thinking the same because the tranny was not slipping nor working like in a harsh way, even the shop said that it was from the electronics but got scared with the shavings subject. I haven't had any updates on it and that was my mistake, to let the whole thing in their hands for not having the time. But I'll make sure to let em know about all of this.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
avandyck

So this was the aluminum thick debris found in the pan. Turned out to be the turbine that made the mess and the reverse "drum". Need to replace those as well as the disk kinda looking clutches (don't know how those are called)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200118_170107_1579418977488.jpg   IMG_20200118_170104_1579419067148.jpg  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 08:44 AM
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Yap That's pretty bad in my opinion.. Which I'd got back faster ...But our best tranny man . He dropped the pan straight down Then poured the fluid off slowly . & Had a 2nd look. He said in that trans normally there were 3 places for piles of dust & flakes to be located. Some shavings in each pile was normal .. But the flacks you described I expect that's your problem . I'm going to say you've caught yours early.
But i'm sure he will .. But insist on him flushing the lines that go back into the radiator. THERE CAN BE Enough shaving left in the radiator to ruin your new rebuilt unite.
... GOOD LUCK.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 08:52 AM
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
sOME OF THE OTHERS CAN CHIME IN BUT AS I see your pan that is a lot of Clutch debris.
Bronze comes from the bushings . Red paper debris comes from clutches . & aluminum flakes either housing parts or steel clutches . Meaning hard to see the difference in aluminum & steel .When their covered up in the pan. But of course stick a magnet in it & the steel sticks to the magnet & aluminum doesn't.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 02:03 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

The low/reverse drum and the center support/overdrive piston retainer are common failure points on these. They mate together. I had to replace them on my 42RE when I rebuilt it. It's a lack of lubrication issue. On mine it was a chuck of old seal stuck in the intermediate shaft. I'm also fairly sure that's what killed my first trans. Sonnax makes an improved piston retainer but you need to machine the drum to accept it. https://www.sonnax.com/parts/1765-ov...n-retainer-kit

If hard parts got chewed up and dropped a bunch of trash in the pan you'll want a new torque converter and to flush the fluid cooler in the radiator really well. Tube and fin external coolers can be flushed but stacked plate versions cannot.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-23-2020, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
avandyck

Thanks a lot guys for your tips and comments. As you say, the torque converter is actually going to be replaced. And I wouldn't have think about flushing the radiator lines, that's a strong point you've made. It's gonna take about a month bc it was a little expensive but better than having it getting worse. I'll talk to the shop rn to point on the flushing thing. I appreciate it guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in