weird no start, very confused.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2016, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
BaileysZJ
1994 ZJ 

We'll I have a 94 zj Laredo, 6 cylinder and I went to start my jeep after a while (no longer my daily driver, I start it every few days or so) and it will crank over just fine but it won't run! I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. I first checked fuel, I unplugged my fuel line at the fuel rail and fuel came squirting out. I know it's getting to the injectors because my spark plugs were wet. For the spark element I took my cap and rotor off and cleaned all of the metal surfaces, took my spark plugs out and dusted them off. I made sure I was getting spark from the coil by arcing it to a metal surface. For giggles I hooked it up to a jumper but that didn't help either. Every 5 or so attempts at starting it will sputter like it is firing up, even run very rough for a couple seconds and then die again. I get no lights on the dash and everything sounds normal. I don't know what else to check, any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-25-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
BaileysZJ
1994 ZJ 

Any ideas?
post #3 of 8 Old 05-25-2016, 01:07 PM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

You'll find 12 ideas in ZeeJay1997's "Dirty Dozen". Most apply to no-starts as well as stalling issues. Good luck.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1.../#post14045654

post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2016, 01:41 PM
RFloyd90
1996 ZJ 

I had what sounded exactly like your symptoms last week, but I had no spark as it turned out. Replaced CPS and it started up and ran fine, but then started cutting out again later and refused to crank at all. Followed "Dirty Dozen" listed above, looks like it's a bad PCM since I could make the problem come and go by tapping in the PCM housing or wiggling it, or putting pressure on the wiring plugging into it. Don't know about your issue, though, since you have spark at coil. Have you checked spark at each individual plug wire? Maybe internal distributor related?
post #5 of 8 Old 05-25-2016, 06:13 PM
robrtsmtn
1993 ZJ 

Probably an idiot statement, but when I bought my ZJ, I had the same type symptoms. Turned out the security system was not turning off. used the key in the drivers door to lock, then unlock and the security system shut off, and started like a dream. At least it's something simple to check.

1993 ZJ 5.2 V8, 3.5 IRO lift, black steel rims 31/10.50 MTs. Aussie locker.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Buick350X
1995 ZJ 

use starting fluid, if it will try and run, its bad fuel, if it will not even try or pop, you have bad spark.

[ just cause you see spark, doesn't mean its good ]

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4.0L Up-Country + BB - JeepOrvis.Club JeepZJ.Club C4rvette.com
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
BaileysZJ
1994 ZJ 

Thank you for all the help! I did everything on the dirty dozen and nothing. Tried the starting fluid and it would run (on the fluid I sprayed). Knowing it was likely fuel I tried the fuel pump relay (swapped it with A/C and it fired right up!! I'm very happy I got this fixed. Thank you again!! 😊
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 PM
Buick350X
1995 ZJ 

the starting fluid trick is the most simple way to find which direction to go. After that it can still be a PITA but you found it quick. Good job.

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4.0L Up-Country + BB - JeepOrvis.Club JeepZJ.Club C4rvette.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in