Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

WeatherTech Custom Fit Floor Mats

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  jeepjeepster 
#1 ·
I want to purchase a front set of WeatherTech Custom Fit Floor Mats for my 98 Grand Cherokee but when I select "Retention Device / YES" for the driver's side mat, they have none for sale. Do all 98 Grand Cherokee's have that retention hook on the front driver's side ? If so, can I remove it and use the mat without the retention hook ?

#2 ·
I 'think' the mat will come with it if you select 'no'. Its just a hole, where as some vehicles have some sort of tab in the floor that snaps into a plastic disc.

Maybe someone could verify, I would like a set for my 5.9 and this is why Ive never bought them. Ive seen a photo that has the hole in it though.

#4 ·
I called WeatherTech this morning and they said they DO NOT sell a custom fit front drivers side mat for the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with retention hook on the floor. I have no intention of removing the hook so it looks like I'm stuck with trying to find another brand that will fit correctly. I don't want to use trim to fit mats which don't have a custom fit or water retention features.

#8 ·
The Rugged Ridge 12987.31 (3-piece front and rear) has the retention hole according to customer service. The older model 12987.21 (4-piece front and rear) does not have a hole for the retention hook. I only want the front 2 mats and they said I should fill out a service ticket to request price and availability for the front 2 mats (part numbers 12901.55 and 12901.56).

They want $150 for the 4 piece set which is too much to pay for just the fronts since I won't be using the rears.

#14 ·
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) Rugged Ridge All Terrain Floor Liner, Front (Black) - DMC-12920.26 (front pair only)

The above is Out of Stock everywhere but apparently still being made. I ordered a pair for $84.99 with free shipping* from 4wd.com
The manufacturer confirmed they DO have the retention hook hole. They are available with or without the JEEP logo.

*You may have to call to get free shipping since the cart will add shipping even though it's advertised as "qualifies for Free Shipping"

#17 ·
I bought the Rugged Ridge set sometime last year. It did take about 4-5 months for them to show up. Fit is good, near custom. You're better off ditching the OE carpet mats due to the molded fit nature of these. They're deep and can hold a bunch of water/gravel/etc. Backseat mat is one piece and doesn't move. Front driver's tends to slide forward a bit over time, probably due to my feet pushing it fwd. Front pax mat hasn't moved an inch. They also make a rear cargo area mat as well. It seems that for the ZJ, Quadratec and Rugged Ridge mats are identical, probably made in the same Chinese factory with just different branding badges.

Attachments

#18 ·
Ive read of some complaining about the little decal being riveted in and the rivets will leave rust on the carpet. Mine was just a sticker but the two holes were still there for the rivets. After a week of snow, I found the carpet soaked under the mats... Water was going through the holes where the rivets would normally be... I filled the holes up with RTV, seems to be working good for now.

Also, those are made for the 96+ ZJ's with the dead pedal. Thats why it has that cutout on the left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.