JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Way to temporarily power a door? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/way-temporarily-power-door-4266529/)

BorderWalker 03-14-2018 05:08 PM

Way to temporarily power a door?

Hey guys.

So as some know I recently swapped the Driver's door on my Jeep so as to not have to deal with a broken hinge. However, I forgot to swap Lock Cylinder's in the process. I see the Lock Cylinder inside the old door I removed and see how I need to remove it, but the window glass on it is down and creates a lovely obstacle with which to make removal difficult.

Is there a way I can somehow use say like, a drill battery to power my door just enough to raise the window? like is there a wire I can tap into or something or a pin on the door wire harness I can power? I just need to get the window to roll up so I can get the lock cylinder, then it's going to a scrap yard.

I really don't want to have to remove and reattch my old door just to get a lock cylinder x.x

Thanks guys,

wingless 03-14-2018 06:37 PM

The left front window motor has a two-pin connector at the motor assembly, wires Q21 14WT and Q11 14LB. Those go directly to the master window switch assembly, pins 3 and 4 respectively.

The "easy" solution is to remove that six pin master window switch connector and squirt +12VDC and Ground into those two wires. If the motor goes the wrong way, then just reverse the connections.

GOLDWING 03-14-2018 07:10 PM

If the door is going to the scrap yard, hit the window with a small hammer. Eye protection, gloves, drop cloth, etc. You will save some time.

GW

wingless 03-14-2018 07:15 PM

When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail?

GOLDWING 03-15-2018 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingless (Post 39853817)
When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail?

BW has a door with a door lock cylinder that he needs. As I understand his post, he is going to throw the rest of the door to the recyclers because the lock cylinder is the only part he needs. Does it make sense to re-wire the door to retrieve a lock cylinder?

GW

BorderWalker 03-15-2018 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDWING (Post 39855073)
BW has a door with a door lock cylinder that he needs. As I understand his post, he is going to throw the rest of the door to the recyclers because the lock cylinder is the only part he needs. Does it make sense to re-wire the door to retrieve a lock cylinder?

GW

It does when the recyclers won't take a door with broken glass.

BorderWalker 03-15-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingless (Post 39853593)
The left front window motor has a two-pin connector at the motor assembly, wires Q21 14WT and Q11 14LB. Those go directly to the master window switch assembly, pins 3 and 4 respectively.

The "easy" solution is to remove that six pin master window switch connector and squirt +12VDC and Ground into those two wires. If the motor goes the wrong way, then just reverse the connections.

Which of the pins would be 3 and 4? I can access the master switch easily and recall it being 3 plugs [Black, Green, and Grey connector] so I just need some sort of visual reference, and it's proving somewhat difficult to find photos of the wiring diagram for a ZJ door so I can go off wire colors.

Thanks ahead of time.

wingless 03-15-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorderWalker (Post 39855713)
Which of the pins would be 3 and 4? I can access the master switch easily and recall it being 3 plugs [Black, Green, and Grey connector] so I just need some sort of visual reference, and it's proving somewhat difficult to find photos of the wiring diagram for a ZJ door so I can go off wire colors.

Thanks ahead of time.

The Q21 14WT pin 3 wire is white.

The Q11 14LB pin 4 wire is light blue.

The connector housing body color is black.

This information is all from the '94 ZJ FSM wiring diagram (should be identical to your '95 ZJ). The connector visual diagram is shown in the FSM.

Note that the in-line pigtail cable connector from the three connectors on the driver's door master switch (shown in the images) does not show on the FSM wiring diagram.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4401/...8b734d4a_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4368/...8aa44bdc_z.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4418/...7f3fb109_b.jpg

BorderWalker 03-15-2018 08:41 AM

Cool beans. I'll attempt this tonight when I get home. Much thanks!

BorderWalker 03-15-2018 06:11 PM

Whelp. Had to cut into the very wires themselves and connect them directly to the drill battery, but it worked! Much thanks Wingless!

Lemme tell ya, nothing will wake you up faster than window glass rocketing up and about to scalp ya xD

Benthal8 07-29-2020 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I know this an old thread, @wingless , but I'm trying to raise the front left and right windows while I figure out a related bus/ ground issue that's also knocking out my gauges.
Anyway I'm sure the motor is fine but I tried hitting pins 1 and 2 (in my case) with pos and neg 12v and got nothing. Am I misinterpreting something here?
Or would it be: +12v on pin 1 and -12v on pin 7?
(trying to learn this stuff)
Thanks

Benthal8 07-29-2020 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pin-out for 5.9

95-ZJ 05-15-2021 11:53 AM

I saw some your posts regarding electrical pin connector tracing.

Regarding a 95 ZJ. I'm 35 miles from Tallahassee, FL in a rural area in south GA. I saw you were somewhere in FLA? Im originally from Miami. Anyway....

Ive noticed You are a helpful resource here on this forum (thanks, your other posts have been helpful)

Im a newbie on the forum. Im reaching out as I have no one else to bounce Jeep wiring off of. Thought maybe you could help?

I have a 95 ZJ Laredo with 6cyl. 242 transmission and 231 TC. The Jeep is new to me, no real history and windows are all down and masteror individual window switch do not function.

We have hurricane weather season coming soon as you know.
No one in my area is very familiar with Jeeps and electrical other than the stealership.

I need to get windows working or at least rolled up so I dont get water intrusion when the wind gets bad and the tarp wont keep the water out.

Previously, I did find I had a few broken wires in the drivers door to cab pigtail and thought if I soldered and repaired or found a replacement harness, that the window switch and motor would work again. Finally, after much searching was able to source a OEM replacement wiring PIGTAIL with rubber boot and so installed it but no still change, no switch sounds, or window movement.

However, NOW, the door locks are powered and they were not before.

I'd appreciate a bit more specific suggestions on direct wiring each window motor to get front and rear windows to at least be in the rolled up position?

Any and all help, advice, whatever, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

DW

GOLDWING 05-15-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95-ZJ (Post 41272081)
I saw some your posts regarding electrical pin connector tracing and just wanted to privately touch on this topic with you but your messages have exceeded what tapatalk and Jeep forum allows, Idk? So, ill try this publically.

My name is David, have a 95ZJ. I reside just 35 miles from Tallahassee, FL in a rural very smLl town in GA. I saw you were in FLA?

You are a helpful resource here on this forum and Im a newbie on the forum. Im reaching out as I have noone else to bounce Jeep wiring off of. Thought maybe you could help?

I have a 95 ZJ Laredo with 6cyl. 242 transmission and 231 TC. The Jeep is new to me, and we have hurricane weather coming up here in Tallahassee, Thomasville. No one in my area is very familiar with Jeeps and electrical other than the stealership. I need to get windows working or at least rolled up so I dont get water intrusion when the wind gets bad and the tarp wont keep the water out.

I did find I had a few broken wires in the drivers door to cab pigtail and was finally, after much nationwide searching was able to source a OEM replacement wiring pigtiland rubber boot and so installed it but no still change, no switch sounds, window movement. However, no the door locks are powered and they were not before.

Any help on direct wiring each window motor to get front and rear windows to at least be in the rolled up position?

Any and all help, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

DW

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

I recommend buying a Power Probe 4 for anyone who works on these ZJs. You will be able to put battery voltage and ground to any circuit on the vehicle.
This unit will also troubleshoot injectors, sensors, motors and many other systems on your ZJ. It may even keep you from replacing parts that do not require replacement.

sterculius 05-15-2021 08:23 PM

Not saying this is the best way, but I took the door panel off and found the plug for the window motor. I put a strand of wire in each hole of the plug, then got my jumper cables and hooked them to the battery. Then I carefully touched the jumper cables to the wires and zziipppp, up went my window. Redneck engineering. 🙂

The time now is 07:13 AM.