Is this vehicle below going to have to swap axles to put ARB lockers in the rear and - JeepForum.com
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
zjlockers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 58
Is this vehicle below going to have to swap axles to put ARB lockers in the rear and

Is this vehicle below going to have to swap axles to put ARB lockers in the rear and front?

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Sport Utility 4D, V8, 5.2liter


arbusa.com/guides/vehicle-application-guides

zjlockers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 09:42 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 23,691
Is this vehicle below going to have to swap axles to put ARB lockers in the rear and

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjlockers View Post
Is this vehicle below going to have to swap axles to put ARB lockers in the rear and front?

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Sport Utility 4D, V8, 5.2liter


arbusa.com/guides/vehicle-application-guides

No. ARB makes an air locker for the 44a and D30.
44a=44hd
I probably wouldn't put an arb in the D30. It's already a weak axle. Maybe a HP30 with truss and C gussets. Still polishing a turd though. Depending on what size tires you are going run will determ8ne reliability.
I broke my open d30 with 33s.
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-23...ker-rd226.html


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zjlockers likes this.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #3 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
zjlockers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
No. ARB makes an air locker for the 44a and D30.
44a=44hd
I probably wouldn't put an arb in the D30. It's already a weak axle. Maybe a HP30 with truss and C gussets. Still polishing a turd though. Depending on what size tires you are going run will determ8ne reliability.
I broke my open d30 with 33s.
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-23...ker-rd226.html


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was looking at the ARB footnote where it says:
"quadra-drive traction control vehicles require non-quadradrive axle shaft replacements for air locker installation."
zjlockers is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
zjlockers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 58
So, I am hoping it's not quadra-drive coz if it is I can't even put a locker on the rear.
zjlockers is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 10:17 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 23,691
Is this vehicle below going to have to swap axles to put ARB lockers in the rear and

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjlockers View Post
So, I am hoping it's not quadra-drive coz if it is I can't even put a locker on the rear.

v8s come with 249 Quadra drive from the factory. You can use selectable lockers with 96-98 since the power split is 90 rear 10 front so it's rwd most of the time unless the rear tires lose traction. Selectable lockers have little impact on it since they are only used intermittently off road.
You can also swap a 242 from a 96-98 4.0 and it's a direct bolt in. You may have to shorten the rear shaft.
I had an Aussie locker in the rear of mine with the 249 for a while with no ill effects. The front would have been horrible though with a lunchbox locker. Selectable no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zjlockers likes this.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #6 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
zjlockers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
v8s come with 249 Quadra drive from the factory. You can use selectable lockers with 96-98 since the power split is 90 rear 10 front so it's rwd most of the time unless the rear tires lose traction. Selectable lockers have little impact on it since they are only used intermittently off road.
You can also swap a 242 from a 96-98 4.0 and it's a direct bolt in. You may have to shorten the rear shaft.
I had an Aussie locker in the rear of mine with the 249 for a while with no ill effects. The front would have been horrible though with a lunchbox locker. Selectable no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am only interested in the selectable lockers such as ARB air-lockers (arbusa.com) or ox-lockers (ox-usa.com).
Was hoping to put a selectable-locker on the front and on the rear.
zjlockers is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
zjlockers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 58
(I have no interest in automatic lockers.)
zjlockers is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 10:42 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 23,691
Is this vehicle below going to have to swap axles to put ARB lockers in the rear and

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjlockers View Post
I am only interested in the selectable lockers such as ARB air-lockers (arbusa.com) or ox-lockers (ox-usa.com).
Was hoping to put a selectable-locker on the front and on the rear.

Ok so buy them and put them in then lol. I'm explaining why selectable is ok when auto lockers the front isn't to give you a better understanding since you don't quite fully grasp the functionality of the 249.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zjlockers likes this.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #9 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
zjlockers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 58
If I do that, will I even be center-locked? I dunno about this crazy quada-drive stuff. I just want to run with selectable lockers where all four wheels turn at the exact same rate, when I ask them to.
zjlockers is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 10:45 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 23,691
Is this vehicle below going to have to swap axles to put ARB lockers in the rear and

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjlockers View Post
If I do that, will I even be center-locked? I dunno about this crazy quada-drive stuff. I just want to run with selectable lockers where all four wheels turn at the exact same rate, when I ask them to.

In lo range the viscous coupler on 96-98 is bypassed and front and rear shaft are locked together like any other tcase.
If you activate the lockers they will function like you want no matter if you are in 4hi or 4lo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zjlockers likes this.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #11 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
zjlockers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Ok so buy them and put them in then lol. I'm explaining why selectable is ok when auto lockers the front isn't to give you a better understanding since you don't quite fully grasp the functionality of the 249.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I know ZIP about quadra-drive.
zjlockers is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 10:48 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 23,691
You might put a little extra wear and tear on the viscous coupler in 4hi with the lockers activated but 4lo is totally fine.
The viscous coupler wears out eventually over time anyway. Usually about 120k miles. Most people swap tcase because a new viscous coupler is about 400 bucks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zjlockers likes this.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #13 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
zjlockers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 58
Still hoping I won't have to swap the axles though, again referring to the footnote at ARBUSA.com:
"quadra-drive traction control vehicles require non-quadradrive axle shaft replacements for air locker installation."
If I don't have to swap axles, I will be happy with my vehicle purchase.
zjlockers is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 11:00 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino
Posts: 16,465
No!

The ZJ never had quadra drive. That's the wj system, with weird lsd in both axles.

The ZJ has quadra trac, which is just a t-case, the 249. The axles are normal d30/d44a and take an arb just fine.
Kolak and zjlockers like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 07-24-2021, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
zjlockers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
No!

The ZJ never had quadra drive. That's the wj system, with weird lsd in both axles.

The ZJ has quadra trac, which is just a t-case, the 249. The axles are normal d30/d44a and take an arb just fine.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to confirm before making the vehicle purchase. ty ty ty ty.
zjlockers is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome