• 1 Post By kg6mov
  • 1 Post By AVR2
  • 1 Post By kg6mov

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-21-2016, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
MMBOW
1994 ZJ 

Uca replacement

So i bought my 94 zj 4x4 and it only had one uca. I went to install a new one only to learn the prior owner swapped the other side with a home made extended uca, thus making the two non compatible . Question is how to tackle this. I went and got two factory uca's , BUT IF I REMOVE THE ONLY UCA WILL THE WHOLE THING FALL APART LOL ? I was going to put jack stands under the axle , remove it then replace both?? lemme know if this is correct plz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-21-2016, 07:49 AM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

The method I use is to have the axle hanging w/ the chassis on jack stands.

When both UCA are removed the axle is still restrained by the LCA, springs, shocks and drive shaft.

It is likely that the holes will not align. I've used ratchet straps to pull the parts into alignment. Others put the wheels on the ground and turn the steering wheel to move the parts.

The UCA mounting points on the top of the axle have pressed-in bushings that deteriorate w/ time. Replacing those bushings can be a butt pain but is required to restore normal handling.
MMBOW likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-21-2016, 07:51 AM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

You can have both the UCAs out at the same time. You should have the jackstands under the frame (just behind the LCA frame-end brackets), not the axle - the axle needs to be drooping and free to move up, down, left and right so you can pull it around as necessary to line up the bolt-holes in the UCAs and the axle-end bushings.
MMBOW likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-21-2016, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
MMBOW
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
The method I use is to have the axle hanging w/ the chassis on jack stands.

When both UCA are removed the axle is still restrained by the LCA, springs, shocks and drive shaft.

It is likely that the holes will not align. I've used ratchet straps to pull the parts into alignment. Others put the wheels on the ground and turn the steering wheel to move the parts.

The UCA mounting points on the top of the axle have pressed-in bushings that deteriorate w/ time. Replacing those bushings can be a butt pain but is required to restore normal handling.

HMMM, Never crossed my mind lol. Ya ratchet strap for sure, but cool, im going to tackle this in a day or so... thanks bro
post #5 of 12 Old 04-21-2016, 08:15 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Remember to do final torque with the weight of the jeep on the axle to prevent preloading the bushings.

I've actually done UCA's on the ground, no ratchet strap required since, just put the jeep in 4lo and parking brake on, that will keep things pretty lined up. Pushing or pulling a tire gets you the rest.

Not that there's a lot of room to work doing that, but I was in a hurry, only took about 20 minutes.
Timo_90xj likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-21-2016, 10:17 AM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Also, be careful removing the frame-end bolts on the UCAs. In a typically brilliant piece of Chrysler design, they're perfectly positioned to fall down inside the chassis rail if they're dropped while they're being pulled out. I removed the nut, then put my magnetic pickup tool onto the head of the bolt before I started working it out of the hole. Or you could try stuffing a rag into the hole it could fall into (you'll see it when you're there).

On the plus side, if they're factory bolts they have tabbed heads so you don't need to hold the head while you remove the nut.
MMBOW likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Remember to do final torque with the weight of the jeep on the axle to prevent preloading the bushings.

I've actually done UCA's on the ground, no ratchet strap required since, just put the jeep in 4lo and parking brake on, that will keep things pretty lined up. Pushing or pulling a tire gets you the rest.

Not that there's a lot of room to work doing that, but I was in a hurry, only took about 20 minutes.
On my XJ i also replaced them while it was on the ground using this method
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
Also, be careful removing the frame-end bolts on the UCAs. In a typically brilliant piece of Chrysler design, they're perfectly positioned to fall down inside the chassis rail if they're dropped while they're being pulled out
I also did this while replacing the controlarms on my XJ.
There was a lot of swearing going on untill i caught it with a magnet..
If that had not happen it would take about 10 minutes to replace the arm, but now i had to play hide and seek for 20 mins with the bolt inside the framerail....

Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 -89
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 -90 (partsjeep)
Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 -93
Chevrolet Silverado 2500 6.5TD -94
Chevrolet C20 6.2 -82
post #8 of 12 Old 04-21-2016, 02:21 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeah, I dropped the socket I was using down the frame rail twice the first time.

Now I tape the socket on the extension.
MMBOW likes this.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-21-2016, 02:25 PM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

They should stamp the design engineer's contact information right onto the part to facilitate them receiving appropriate feedback.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-26-2016, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
MMBOW
1994 ZJ 

Got it done.. Ran into a small issue when the front bolt didnt want to play nice after installing the other 3 bolts, but a little jack action got it done thanks guys, shes sitting straight and driving 100% better.. No more bent springs... I do tho still have a knock when I gas it or nrake hard??? thinking I have a bad shock or motor mount?? That will be my next project lol
post #11 of 12 Old 05-22-2021, 09:20 PM
pleon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post

Really? I will try this. Just to make sure, you remove the tire, right? Or you didn't?
post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2021, 10:31 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleon09 View Post
Really? I will try this. Just to make sure, you remove the tire, right? Or you didn't?

Tire stays on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in