JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Transmission swap or sell? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/transmission-swap-sell-4301833/)

TheRaccoon 05-16-2018 10:01 PM

Transmission swap or sell?

My transmission isn't doing too well and I know for a fact that it will die soon. I was thinking about doing the swap from forty-two RE to AW4. Do you guys think it would be logical to do this? Seeing as how everything else has been replaced and it is basically a new Jeep. Or, should I just call it quits? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1996maroonzjf 05-16-2018 10:13 PM

AW4 and ax-15 swaps will trigger a CEL light. I know a lot of places with emission test will automatically fail you if you have a CEL on. I’ve considered both and the CEL being triggered is a no go for me.

Also don’t write off the 42RE just yet. They are harder to kill than most will have you believe.

What are the symptoms?

LittleFootZJ 05-16-2018 10:22 PM

Im assuming you have 6 and not V8?

In CA a check engine light is an automatic fail but why couldn’t you swap in a manual with the computer/wiring harness? May be a little more complicated than that but where there is a will there is a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LordHobbit 05-17-2018 08:32 AM

Calling it quits is up to you. The ZJ requires a bit more attention than a brand new vehicle should. Rebuilt 42RE's are not expensive comparatively, getting yours rebuilt shouldn't be too bad either. They can be beefed up to last a bit longer and with regular maintenance, they last quite a long time.

If it were mine, I'd look at a rebuild.

kg6mov 05-17-2018 08:57 AM

You can do an AW4 swap on a first gen and not pop a code since the tcm is separate.

1996maroonzjf 05-17-2018 10:01 AM

Good catch KG

TheRaccoon 05-17-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1996maroonzjf (Post 40161377)
AW4 and ax-15 swaps will trigger a CEL light. I know a lot of places with emission test will automatically fail you if you have a CEL on. I’ve considered both and the CEL being triggered is a no go for me.

Also don’t write off the 42RE just yet. They are harder to kill than most will have you believe.

What are the symptoms?

I will take off from a stop and my rpms will go up to 4k and stay there while I'm crawling at 20.
Also it shifts very late once it finally downshifts it is bizarre. I am just an amateur mechanic and transmissions are something I'm trying to learn more but currently i took it to a shop and they were saying it's in bad shape.
I wonder if it is the solenoids? Maybe I could grab a Cascade kit and see what happens? Thank you for the input.

TheRaccoon 05-17-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordHobbit (Post 40162689)
Calling it quits is up to you. The ZJ requires a bit more attention than a brand new vehicle should. Rebuilt 42RE's are not expensive comparatively, getting yours rebuilt shouldn't be too bad either. They can be beefed up to last a bit longer and with regular maintenance, they last quite a long time.

If it were mine, I'd look at a rebuild.

I had it rebuilt and the same people who rebuilt it put the wrong fluid in it and fried it. We flushed it until it was clean again but we didn't know they put the wrong fluid in until we were 1k mi into our trip. It was a nightmare haha.
The jeep has gotten us across the country 3 times and I really do not want to get rid of it.

TheRaccoon 05-17-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg6mov (Post 40162825)
You can do an AW4 swap on a first gen and not pop a code since the tcm is separate.

Hmmm ok, maybe I should just hold my horses and see about a rebuild and then later on do the swap. I was on the cusp of doing alot to it and then this happened so it threw me for a loop.

1996maroonzjf 05-17-2018 12:51 PM

Those sound like the symptoms of bad solenoids. Almost all shops will say that the whole transmission is done because they don't want to waste their time on a 20+ year old transmission. I'm not saying that this is your problem 100% but if you are willing to do the work yourself, its worth the cost of admission.

I can only imagine how many transmissions have been R&R'ed that really just need some TLC.

elcapy 05-17-2018 02:17 PM

I actually bought a 97 GC 4.0 162k with the same symptoms as yours, first I changed the fluid twice with no change, then I decided to do both solenoids and that made it better but it was taking for ever to down shift or shift from first to second. Finally decided to adjust the kick-down cable and that finally fixed it. The truck runs very smooth night and day from when I bought it, I paid 850 not running fixed a few issues and she runs like a dream now so no rebuild for me. This is what I decided to do which was cheaper than a rebuild take a chance you never know how it will turnout i'm glad I did but don't get rid of it.

TheRaccoon 05-17-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1996maroonzjf (Post 40164073)
Those sound like the symptoms of bad solenoids. Almost all shops will say that the whole transmission is done because they don't want to waste their time on a 20+ year old transmission. I'm not saying that this is your problem 100% but if you are willing to do the work yourself, its worth the cost of admission.

I can only imagine how many transmissions have been R&R'ed that really just need some TLC.

Agreed and I truly appreciate the input I love this Jeep and I am comfortable doing the solenoids might as well.
Thanks!

TheRaccoon 05-17-2018 02:33 PM

This Jeep has been all over the country and has pulled trees out of roads, me and wife have really thought sometimes if the damned thing is alive so I'm glad you guys are around to help out people.
My wife said thank you for always weighing in on the jeep. You're all stand up dudes

Mr. Puddles 05-17-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRaccoon (Post 40164441)
You're all stand up dudes

Someones gotta stand up for the forgotten Jeeps

LouC 05-22-2018 03:14 PM

Yep, there will never be any more Jeeps like the ZJ. Why we kept ours.

The time now is 12:48 AM.