Trans Cooler - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Trans Cooler

Hey all,

Found a nice looking Mopar trans cooler out in my scrap yard and was wondering if itís still in good shape.

Also saw another what I think is a trans cooler but iv never seen them this big before so maybe Iím wrong about what it is.

Thoughts on this mopar

Is this a trans cooler as well?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 09:41 AM
dieselyota

The first one as long as flushed and not leaking should be good the 2nd is ac condenser and not a trans cooler.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Trans Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselyota View Post
The first one as long as flushed and not leaking should be good the 2nd is ac condenser and not a trans cooler.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Right on thanks, at first I was worried the trans cooler was going to be bent 3/4 of the way down but I just recovered it and everything looked good

Not bad for 11$ lol Iíll have to get the lines another time. When I pulled it, the trans fluid poured out and there were no signs of leaking, so I think itíll be ok.

post #4 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 10:57 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Uh, that's not worth risking installing it from a junk yard. It's also at least 20 years old. There are better options today. B&M brand has a bypass orifice built in for cold weather. I've got my transmission cooler bypassed with a large dedicated cooler and a smaller cooler for the power steering.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
Benthal8 likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetie View Post
Not bad for 11$ lol Iíll have to get the lines another time. When I pulled it, the trans fluid poured out and there were no signs of leaking, so I think itíll be ok.
I would backflush it before use (IIRC the fluid flows bottom up. Someone should be able to verify). Some brake cleaner and if you have access to a compressor a shot of pressurized air just in case there is any debris inside it.

BTW thanks for that shifter trip. Looks SO much better than the old (and now incorrect) 249 trim.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Uh, that's not worth risking installing it from a junk yard. It's also at least 20 years old. There are better options today. B&M brand has a bypass orifice built in for cold weather. I've got my transmission cooler bypassed with a large dedicated cooler and a smaller cooler for the power steering.

Ope welp thatís good to know haha, maybe I got a little ahead of myself. I would have waited for more feed back if would have been more than the 11$
post #7 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Puddles View Post
I would backflush it before use (IIRC the fluid flows bottom up. Someone should be able to verify). Some brake cleaner and if you have access to a compressor a shot of pressurized air just in case there is any debris inside it.

BTW thanks for that shifter trip. Looks SO much better than the old (and now incorrect) 249 trim.

Right on maybe Iíll use this for the meantime till I can upgrade to something like Polka has.

Iím glad that worked out for ya. I saw 2-3 more out there again today and almost picked them up for future 242 people. Itís probably the best way for me to contribute to the forum for putting up with my stupid questions lol
post #8 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetie View Post
Right on maybe Iíll use this for the meantime till I can upgrade to something like Polka has.

Iím glad that worked out for ya. I saw 2-3 more out there again today and almost picked them up for future 242 people. Itís probably the best way for me to contribute to the forum for putting up with my stupid questions lol

I may just have to take me a long weekend and go up there. I could stand to replace a number of broken items (trans shifter mount, seats, center console, possibly sunroof slides).

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Puddles View Post

post #10 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Polka, do you think it would be too risky even after a good flush, if it has good flow? I mean worst case Iím out $11 and 15min
post #11 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 04:08 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

For $50ish you can get a big 11 x 11" on amazon. I'd keep the Mopar one and use it for my power steering
Spetie likes this.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 04:39 PM
LittleFootZJ
1996 ZJ 

Just put an inline filter after it if youíre scared it has some contaminants in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spetie likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Does power steering need a cooler? Seems like a couple of you have mentioned that, but I havenít ever read/seen people run the power steering fluid through a cooler.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 04:46 PM
LittleFootZJ
1996 ZJ 

If you have oversized tires and youíre doing a lot of crawling then it is definitely useful to keep your pump from burning up. For a pavement pounder or light off-roading with 33s or smaller, probably not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Thatís good to know. I plan on running 31ís and pulling the biggest camper I can, and also light/med off roading.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in