1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeepjeepster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-25-2020, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Zilliver
1998 ZJ 

Trailer plug factory connector

Hei

On the trailer plug I have no outputs, its a 7-pin connector and wiring is from the factory - ´98 5.9

What is the best location to check if the signals are OK from the start?

98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 - daily
95 Grand Cherokee 5.2 - offroad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-25-2020, 07:36 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

The best place to start is with the correct Factory Service Manual (FSM) for the vehicle.

The factory trailer wiring includes a relay pack, feeding the connector w/ the correct voltages. On the '94 the relay pack is wrapped in thick padding, attached to the body below the passenger side cargo window, shown drooping down in this image.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-25-2020, 07:55 AM
jeepjeepster

I think they moved it to the drivers side on the 96+ didnt they?
sldoaktree likes this.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi

post #4 of 10 Old 05-25-2020, 10:50 AM
1996maroonzjf

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Yes it is on the drivers side (left) on 96+ ZJs.

Wingless, no offense intended but you are going to lead someone down a rabbit hole of searching for the trailer harness on the wrong side. I know you clearly stated that this is for your 94, but for someone who is not as familiar with the nuances of first and second gen ZJs this could be extremely frustrating. This isn’t the first time you have posted this picture for a second gen ZJ.

Now I also think it is worth stating that generally your pictures and topics that you post frequently are some of the most thorough and helpful posts out there for ZJs. My statements above are in no way intended to take away from that.

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18
#2- HP30/Ford 8.8 - 4.56, OME HDs, 5100's, IRO Adj Arms/Track Bars
post #5 of 10 Old 05-25-2020, 10:54 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
The best place to start is with the correct Factory Service Manual (FSM) for the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996maroonzjf View Post
Wingless, no offense intended but you are going to lead someone down a rabbit hole of searching for the trailer harness on the wrong side. I know you clearly stated that this is for your 94, but for someone who is not as familiar with the nuances of first and second gen ZJs this could be extremely frustrating. This isn’t the first time you have posted this picture for a second gen ZJ.
The FSM is the correct source for this information. I will not always dust off my second gen FSM when I am already providing correct info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-25-2020, 01:43 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Wingless likes to talk about his jeep, you just have to remember that he's talking about his jeep, not trying to help you with yours.

Factory wiring on the 5.9 runs from the hitch connector to a connector before the relay pack in the driver side quarter panel. Don't confuse the LOM in the driver taillight well for the relay pack.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-25-2020, 09:20 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilliver View Post
Hei

On the trailer plug I have no outputs, its a 7-pin connector and wiring is from the factory - ´98 5.9

What is the best location to check if the signals are OK from the start?
There is a Trailer Tow system fuse in the Power Distribution Center. That is the rectangular plastic box behind the battery. Fuse number 11, a 50 amp fuse.

Then there is a 20 amp fuse, number 8, in the Junction Block. I think that means fuses behind the plastic cover down in the right side footwell, below the dash in front of the door.

Also there is a circuit breaker in the relay pack behind the plastic interior panel above the left side rear wheelwell. I assume it is the type that automatically resets when it cools off because of it being hard to get to.

The way the trailer wiring system works is that there is a power wire that is full time unswitched power. This supplies power to the trailer lights. The electrical relays are the switches for that power. The relays are connected to the tail light and brake light wires and they steal just a little bit of power to function and switch ON & OFF the power to the trailer light wires. Therefore the trailer lights are copies of the vehicle's lights and aren't using the power going to them.

One of the fuses may be blown. The circuit breaker may be bad. The ground point for the trailer wiring harness may be corroded and not have proper electrical conductivity. The main connection plug for the trailer wiring harness may be corroded or have come loose. The marker lights should have power when the headlight switch is ON. They are terminal 2 in the 7-pin connector. 2, 3 and 7 do not run through the relays. 3 is park lights, 7 is trailer brake. A bad relay would keep the turn signals and brake lights from working, but not these three.

Also, on some vehicles, there is a Lamp Outage Module. I bet your 5.9 Limited has that. It is in the circuit ahead of the trailer wiring system, so if it has a problem, the trailer lights likely will not work.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-25-2020, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Zilliver
1998 ZJ 

Thank you all

I will dig in on the weekend.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-26-2020, 07:55 AM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

the factory connector wiring on my '93 was plagued with the green death. I purchased a new connector from Hopkins that included the 4-pin connector not found on my '93 factory connector. I rewired and soldered the connections to the factory harness that was cut back far enough to escape the green death plague. The new connector fit in the factory location with no modifications that I remember. It's been about 5 years and no problems since.

Note: the wire colors are different. I used the wiring diagram in the FSM and the wiring diagram in the new Hopkins connector documentation to determine the correct connections

https://smile.amazon.com/Hopkins-Tow...omotive&sr=1-1

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #10 of 10 Old 06-26-2020, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Zilliver
1998 ZJ 

Trailer plug is now working, this is what I found, some aftermarket box, with quick connects - all corroded to hell, I dont know why the OEM system was removed (fuses and stuff all checked out good), but its working now, after some soldering.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in