• 1 Post By gearheadnick
  • 1 Post By kg6mov
  • 1 Post By V8GCZJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-03-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
jeep210
1997 ZJ 

Torque Wrench Extender

So last Friday I took my flat tractor tire to be fixed; needed a new tube. Dropped tire off drove around town running errands then picked up tire and headed home. On the way home my Jeep started a front end vibration at 45 MPH. I stopped to check it out but could not see a problem. So I slowly headed home. At home I checked again and saw smoke rising from behind left front tire.

A tear down revealed I needed new brake pads, also left bearing hub just did not spin right. So I decided to replace brake pads, rotors and both bearing hubs. The job went ok until I had to torque the axle nut. I didnt have a torque wrench that torqued to 175 ft Lbs. I checked at the airport hangar where I have some torque wrenches but still no go. So I was left with buy another torque wrench which I do not need or make a torque wrench extender. I chose the extender. Parts are all scrap plus a broken female drive. Welded it all together, 4.5 extension. Torqued those axle nuts with my current torque wrench. Here it is drying after spray painting it. I may never get the chance to use this tool again. Who knows??? LOL. Ive made many tools that Ive only used a few times. Mostly in the aviation trade.

Attached Thumbnails
D90DF05D-B7C6-4480-A79B-36F46D35CF9E.jpg  
kachink, underscore and Benthal8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-03-2019, 06:14 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Nice job!

Thanks for sharing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 09:22 AM
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

I'm curious as to how you know what the torque is with this extender? Is there some formula you used, or an app or something? I'm not bashing or insulting here, I'm truly curious since this would come in handy for me as well.
Bossman302 likes this.

My cylinder head overhaul:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My transmission overhaul: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/how-change-transmission-electronics-1560948/

post #4 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Bossman302

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadnick View Post
I'm curious as to how you know what the torque is with this extender? Is there some formula you used, or an app or something? I'm not bashing or insulting here, I'm truly curious since this would come in handy for me as well.
I have to agree with this. I would think that if you extended the point of contact with the torque wrench. Then the torque rating will be off. They call that leverage. Maybe I'm wrong.
Can anyone shed some light on this.

The Eggplant
post #5 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 10:22 AM
V8GCZJ

X3! Wouln't it have been easier to just rent one?
post #6 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 10:23 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yes, adding leverage to the end of the wrench changes the reading. That's the point. With an extension of 4.5" you hit 175ft/lbs on the nut when you're reading around 125 on the wrench.

That's why this solves not having the right wrench.
underscore likes this.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 10:32 AM
DRLExpress

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadnick View Post
.Is there some formula you used......
this should work.
Attached Thumbnails
Torque-Extension-Calculator.jpg  
post #8 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 10:36 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yes, adding leverage to the end of the wrench changes the reading. That's the point. With an extension of 4.5" you hit 175ft/lbs on the nut when you're reading around 125 on the wrench.

That's why this solves not having the right wrench.
Here's a formula you can use for getting it right:

https://www.norbar.com/en-gb/Home/To...ion-Calculator
post #9 of 12 Old 07-06-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
jeep210
1997 ZJ 

Well I called one place about a rental. One hundred dollars for a 30 day rental. That was my first and last call.

Yes, as pointed out there is a formula you must use to get the torque right. You have to use the formula for each wrench you want to use. Length of the torque wrench has to be considered. So a 15 and an 18 both 150 ft lbs max would be set differently.

Here is an online site I used. Easy to just plug in the numbers and hit calculate. You can also do the math, Easy Formula. I did the math to check the online site.

Calculator Site: http://www.cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx

Just put in your numbers and get your answer.

Beware that you are measuring the extension for the center of the wrench drive to the center of the socket you are using. In my case 4.5. If I were to angle the drive to 45* angle my extension would less than 4.5 center to center; so torque wrench would have to be reset.

I thought this thread was fading. Suddenly it has picked up some torque energy. LOL.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-07-2019, 08:53 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:
Well I called one place about a rental. One hundred dollars for a 30 day rental. That was my first and last call.

Who did you call? Most auto parts stores polices are like this...
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/loaner-tools
Benthal8 likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-07-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
jeep210
1997 ZJ 

Actually it was one of my local auto parts store. I may have gotten a new employee as the person had to check on my request. When the cost of $100.00 was given, I just moved on. No biggie. I guess it prompted me to make this tool.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-08-2019, 08:32 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I have one I made myself that is very similar. Mine's 18 inches for my 18" wrench so it just doubles the torque. Made it out of a section of 1 1/4" roll cage tubing and a spare 1/2" extension. I needed to torque steering box nuts and axle nuts to spec and all the 1/2" torque wrenches that I could find for a reasonable price stopped at 150 ft lbs. Since then I've bought a TEKTON 24340 wrench on Amazon that goes to 250 ft lbs.

It's better to use a wrench made for the torque because any extender adds some error to the torque. It's usually okay though because large torques usually have fairly large acceptable ranges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in