Tie rod/drag link ends rubbing wheel - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-07-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
brainkandy87
1995 ZJ 

Tie rod/drag link ends rubbing wheel

So I just got back into Jeeping via my grandparents giving me their 1995 ZJ Orvis Edition. I've been frantically working on it and getting it back into clean condition. It had been sitting for about three years. Before they stopped driving it due to them both simply not being able to drive any longer, it began the death wobble. One of their friends came and replaced the tie rod ends and it was pretty much never driven again. I had not experienced any death wobble until I was driving to the tire shop the other day. I took a sharp turn a little too fast. So I've been trying to diagnose the issue and I think I finally found it: the tie rod and drag link ends are rubbing the inside of the wheel (photos below, notice the indentations/grooves in the wheel). I gave all the previous detail because I want to emphasize that this is all OEM equipment. It has stock 15 inch rims, stock suspension (other than the tie rod end replacements), etc.

The tie rod and drag link bars have quite a bit of rotation to them, but even when I rotate them as far away from the wheel as I can, there's still very little spacing. Since this was happening before the tie rod end replacement, I have no idea what this could be. I was hoping for some help. Thanks guys and gals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 AM
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Wheel bearings?
post #3 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 09:42 AM
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

I would say wheel bearings or ball joints are bad making it move that much

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum

post #4 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
brainkandy87
1995 ZJ 

Hmm. I certainly didn't think about the wheel bearing cause it. Could someone explain the basics of what would be going wrong there? I have considered the ball joints being bad and will check those out today. I'll post a video later this evening of the play I have in the tie rod and drag link. I'm just totally stumped on what to do with this thing.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 10:03 AM
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

If the wheel bearing has a lot of slop, then it will let the wheel walk in and out and rub the tie rods on either side or your trac bar could be wore out causing things to move around also. I would get somebody to turn the wheel full lock to full lock while you are under it and see what is moving/loose.

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum
post #6 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
brainkandy87
1995 ZJ 

Yeah I checked the trac bar yesterday and it is solid. I did the full lock to full lock the other day with my Dad but I'll get down there and look again. Thanks for the responses so far, appreciate any ideas.

Tags
death wobble , drag link , tie rod , wheel , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in