Test procedure for 42RE pressures? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 82 Old 09-29-2019, 06:50 PM
paulsheer2
1993 ZJ 

Garage
Considering I scrapped one transmission rather than try and figure out what was wrong with it, i am probably not the best person to speak on all this.. but....

My opinion on the diagnostic procedures is that the procedures are Not there to figure out what is wrong with a 10 year old transmission.

The procedures are actually there so that, should you overhaul a transmission and find out that it STILL does not work, that you can figure out what you did wrong in your process of having reassembled it.

I am guessing I would say these transmissions become unreliable after 4 oil changes. I.e. 30k times 4. Maybe even less.

So you change the oil three times, and then at 120k you pull the transmission and overhaul it.

This basically means you get 8 years of driving per overhaul.

Yeah yeah, I know some people get 300k from their transmissions: I think they just got lucky.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

93 ZJ 5.2, 3.58 stroked. 242 swap. 2.5" lift. dozens of mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 Old 10-02-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Anyone else? My buddy said "probably not worth throwing $2k at it, but you could gamble on a JY tranny for a few hundred, and if that doesn't work out then the Jeep is done..." Might be leaning that way. Gotta look into how hard it is to drop the tranny on these things.

HID Projector retro! https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hid-projector-retrofit-build-thread-3082289/
post #33 of 82 Old 10-03-2019, 02:32 PM
jrcromwell

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeZX View Post
Anyone else? My buddy said "probably not worth throwing $2k at it, but you could gamble on a JY tranny for a few hundred, and if that doesn't work out then the Jeep is done..." Might be leaning that way. Gotta look into how hard it is to drop the tranny on these things.
Not sure where two grand comes from. You can rebuild that transmission for 800.00 with Higher-end quality components. With a new converter and fluid 1000.00 all in.

I have found that a front band issue generally causes the delayed 1-2 shift. I have seen the band material gone and the direct drum scored, the band anchor falling out etc.

Generally the sealing issue with the direct drum inner sealing lip seal causes delayed 2-3, flaring on 2-3 and or delayed reverse engagement.

JY transmissions are IMHO a role of the dice.

I would drop the valve body and inspect the direct drum and band.

They make a slip in band but if the direct drum is scored up they are a short life solution. Some have purchased a regular kevlar band and squeezed the anchor points tighter with a vice to get it installed.

Good luck with whatever direction you take.
paulsheer2 likes this.

post #34 of 82 Old 10-03-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

$2k probably comes from someone else doing the work... I can drop the tranny in the garage, but I don't really have anywhere to work on it. (No work bench or anything) and no experience pulling apart a tranny. There was nothing in the pan when I dropped it last month, and the fluid test came back clean / good condition. Still... I'm interested in learning more. How long do you think it'd take a total tranny-beginner (minus pan-drop experience) to do a self-rebuild on the garage floor?

HID Projector retro! https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hid-projector-retrofit-build-thread-3082289/
post #35 of 82 Old 10-03-2019, 08:15 PM
paulsheer2
1993 ZJ 

Garage
Might want to get an autozone or oreilly remanufactured transmission.

I am sure one can swap it in a weekend.

BTW if u go this route read the warranty carefully and do not involve 3rd parties --- they will all blame each other if something goes wrong.

The warranty may want a cooling line filter.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

93 ZJ 5.2, 3.58 stroked. 242 swap. 2.5" lift. dozens of mods.
post #36 of 82 Old 10-03-2019, 08:26 PM
jrcromwell

1998 ZJ 

I would encourage you to watch the 46RE which covers the 42-47RH, RE series from transmission bench on YouTube. These are Professionally done by an instructor.

You also need an ATSG manual. (link is not an endorsement of any business).

https://www.oregonperformancetransmi...SABEgIClfD_BwE

This video series will show you how to build a tranny stand out of 2x4's and a press from plywood and allthread. these are inexpensive and both work well. You will need access to a hydraulic press for the overdrive unit.

I would purchase the manual watch all the videos then using the video's follow each step. Once you have the tranny tore down you will know if you need any hard parts, the overdrive piston and direct drum are two common items that may need to be replaced. they are readily available. I believe you can with basic hand tools successfully rebuild your transmission.

I used https://transpartswarehouse.com for my rebuild kit and a couple of hard parts I had to use global or someone else for the electronics at the time do to inventory.
paulsheer2 likes this.

Last edited by jrcromwell; 10-05-2019 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Grammer
post #37 of 82 Old 10-05-2019, 06:51 AM
V8GCZJ

According to post 30 you do not have any governor pressure until about 30 mph. The pressure sensor is not the problem there is no pressure for it to measure that's why it's not shifting. Should be about 1 psi per mph. Pull the valve body and go over it, something is amiss there. If you don't have a breakdown you can find one here...
https://www.sonnax.com/valve_body_layouts
post #38 of 82 Old 10-05-2019, 10:47 AM
jrcromwell

1998 ZJ 

V8 might be correct but with the other shifting issues you are having as this progresses, I would suggest that if you remove and disassemble your valve body per the video I referenced earlier and find nothing obvious as in sticking or stuck valve, debris preventing proper operation, etc.

I personally after going through a valve body with no obvious problems having thourghly inspected, cleaned and reassembled would not reinstall into a failing transmission. Only to remove it and do over after re-contaminating not to mention the waste of the fluid.

In answering a question in your first post yes you can use the flash method to pull transmission codes per the FSM.

If you were to find obvious problems that are directly relatable to your now 2 or 3 different issues then yea sure stab it back in and give it try. Something I did not see after re-reading the tread in it's entirety was the mileage on the transmission if known.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 42RE Flash.pdf (459.4 KB, 6 views)
post #39 of 82 Old 10-05-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Interesting, and also "wtf," I'm getting a 12 now. Fortunately I have a spare Output shaft sensor. Guess I can swap that in and see what happens!

Meanwhile, exploring a couple of options. I was given the name/number of a guy who might give me a good deal on a rebuild if I provide the parts; I'll be calling him on Monday. Otherwise, I see Autozone & other online rebuilt trannies are going for around $1700 w/3 year warranties... except this one for $1099 and a 5-year warranty. ( https://www.atransmissions.com/produ...smission-42re/ ) So... trying to figure out why so much less...
paulsheer2 likes this.

post #40 of 82 Old 10-05-2019, 12:25 PM
jrcromwell

1998 ZJ 

Your local auto parts stores will be around that 1700.00 dollar mark. Convenience costs extra but can be nice if there is an issue. You could get a Monster built transmission in that price range.

I through in a couple of links that I had researched and considered before I rebuilt mine.

A word of caution AVOID Tomsrivertransmissions.com not to be confused with Tom Woods Drivelines an excellent company. Tomsrivertransmissions has hundreds of complaints and better business warnings.

The Pro King torque converters are excellent converters and are sold under several brands. Yours would run 149.00 plus core but you can get 25% off you you purchased through Advance auto(not an endorsement). Dropping the price to 112.50 plus tax.

https://www.transdepot.net/A50042RE4...ion_p_147.html

https://shiftritetransmissions.com/s...-a500-rebuilt/
post #41 of 82 Old 10-05-2019, 01:56 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I started reading this to see how similar it is to my problem.

Most of the time I get normal shifting, seems about right shift points, etc. but every once in a while it will briefly downshift for no reason. Yesterday about 45, it dropped from 4 to 3, then immediately went back. any thoughts on this?

Added question: This is a 97 with OBDII. Can this transmission be read through a code reader?

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #42 of 82 Old 10-05-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Well... swapped in another output sensor; no luck. Still no governor pressure until over 4500RPM. I have an extra TCM I can try, but somehow I doubt that'll help. Worth a shot before dropping a grand, I suppose.

post #43 of 82 Old 10-06-2019, 08:21 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:
I started reading this to see how similar it is to my problem.

Most of the time I get normal shifting, seems about right shift points, etc. but every once in a while it will briefly downshift for no reason. Yesterday about 45, it dropped from 4 to 3, then immediately went back. any thoughts on this?

Added question: This is a 97 with OBDII. Can this transmission be read through a code reader?

Might want to start your own thread. 45 is where the OD kicks in. Are you sure it's 3-4 or OD- lock up?

And yes...
https://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowl...article-24.htm
post #44 of 82 Old 10-06-2019, 02:42 PM
Benthal8

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcromwell View Post
I would encourage you to watch the 46RE which covers the 42-47RH, RE series from transmission bench on YouTube. These are Professionally done by an instructor.
This whole thread was really informative, you guys are amazing. Hope you get your tranny figured out, Jaime.
JR - is the the video series you're talking about? Looks like this is where it starts.
post #45 of 82 Old 10-06-2019, 07:48 PM
jrcromwell

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthal8 View Post
This whole thread was really informative, you guys are amazing. Hope you get your tranny figured out, Jaime.
JR - is the the video series you're talking about? Looks like this is where it starts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J1ErheBwHE
It is you can also purchase the entire series as well as others from the web site(not an endorsement).

I own several series
Benthal8 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in