TCC OD solenoid replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-03-2020, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
avandyck

Hi guys, it's me again. I finally saved up for the overdrive solenoid replacement for my 97, and I'd like to ask for some advice as I have to install it on my own. As far as I understand I have to drop the pan, unscrew some torx buddies, and I'm planning on splicing the wires because I'm not experienced enough on dropping the valve body. I've been reading and watching and whatnot, there's even a step by step post on another forum but pictures won't load up.
I think I have to put the governor press. Down and then go for the OD TCC housing. As for joining (should I say?) the wires, should I use some heat shrink tubes, just spades and butt connectors, or...? They will be in contact with hot oil so I don't wanna have a mess down there. Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated.
1997 4x4 6cil 4.0 42re

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-03-2020, 11:09 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Do it right or don't do it at all.

Dropping the valve body isn't really that hard, remove the required bolts and drop it down. Only hard part is the park rod, but it usually comes out and goes back in just fine.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #3 of 14 Old 07-04-2020, 06:10 AM
hilljacknm
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Watch Cascade Transmission videos on youtube.

You do not have to drop the valve body to replace the OD solenoid.

I installed the whole master solenoid kit without dropping the valve body.

1996 ZJ 5.2
Doug Thorley Headers, Kolak exhaust

BFG KM3 30x9.50"

post #4 of 14 Old 07-04-2020, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
avandyck

Awesome. Yup, I spent the night watching cascade videos and actually there's no need to drop the VB, phew!

A little bit tricky and lack of space but hopefully can be done good.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-05-2020, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
avandyck

I came around a post I read a while ago, and before dropping anything I'll do some tests with a multimeter. A fragment of that post reads "On the light blue wire at the transmission harness connector, check for 12v. If not present, then trace wire for short and repair. If 12v is present, then replace solenoid." Does it refers to the harness on the outside of the tranny, right? What other wires should I test?
post #6 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 11:51 AM
PappaSmurf81
1997 ZJ 

Would this repair process be the same for a 97 zj 5.2L? I'm getting the p0740 code and it tells me to replace the TCC. My jeep sometimes comes out of gear (usually 1st or 2nd) and goes into overdrive. I have to pretty much gun it, then left off of the accelerator for it to actually change gears...sometimes I have to bump it into neutral and then back into drive for it to switch gears.
Does this sound related or like its somethings else?
post #7 of 14 Old 07-06-2020, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
avandyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurf81 View Post
Would this repair process be the same for a 97 zj 5.2L? I'm getting the p0740 code and it tells me to replace the TCC.
Sounds similar. Have you researched for info on that code? I'd think about solenoids, governor, torque converter or PCM. Some info on that DTC would be helpful
post #8 of 14 Old 07-07-2020, 09:49 AM
PappaSmurf81
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandyck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurf81 View Post
Would this repair process be the same for a 97 zj 5.2L? I'm getting the p0740 code and it tells me to replace the TCC.
Sounds similar. Have you researched for info on that code? I'd think about solenoids, governor, torque converter or PCM. Some info on that DTC would be helpful
I have researched the code, it either says the solenoid or the pcm. I was asking if anybody has (or had) similar symptoms and their fix for it
post #9 of 14 Old 07-10-2020, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
avandyck

I'd suggest you run a test on the harness and PCM. If it's fine, then you can narrow the issue down to the solenoids, once there check the fluid for shavings, if fluid is burnt it is a sign of worn out clutches. Also inspect valve body and governor solenoid and accumulator spring. It tends to break.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-10-2020, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
avandyck

On the harness that protrudes on the upper side of tranny, next to the NSS, there's a plug which connects to the inside solenoids harness. Unplug it, test for 12v and 5v on two pins can't recall if it were 1 and 4, the other ones are ground. If no reading is obtained, then you can think about tracing a shorted wire running to the PCM, but better to have a technician on it. That way you can discard the PCM being faulty.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-11-2020, 08:52 AM
V8GCZJ

P0740 Torque Converter Clutch, No RPM Drop @ Lockup
You need to determine what exactly is the cause. Code is set because there is no rpm drop(TCC engagement) Could be no 12v supply, bad solenoid, no ground signal from pcm or wiring. Not to mention a blockage in the fluid passage or mechanical problem.
Quote:
I finally saved up for the overdrive solenoid replacement for my 97,
You may want to explain how you came to this determination. Is the original issue the PO740? Lock up solenoid is only two wires(12V/ground) it doesn't use the 5v that is for feed back sensors.

post #12 of 14 Old 07-31-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
avandyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GCZJ View Post
P0740 Is the original issue the PO740? Lock up solenoid is only two wires(12V/ground) it doesn't use the 5v that is for feed back sensors.

No. Mine was P0783, TCC OD solenoid. Replaced it and now it's working.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-04-2020, 05:34 PM
rmnorton2

Hello,

1999 XJ. 4.0. Unmodified

I am getting the P0740 code. I dropped the pan and replaced all three transmission solenoids, drained and filled the fluid three times, disconnected all three wiring connectors on the right side of the engine and cleaned them with electrical cleaner, and replaced the TCM. Cleared the code and it comes back on after about 15 miles.

I need to get this thing to stay off so the car will pass emissions. Any help is appreciated.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-05-2020, 06:50 PM
riiz

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnorton2 View Post
Hello,

1999 XJ. 4.0. Unmodified

I am getting the P0740 code. I dropped the pan and replaced all three transmission solenoids, drained and filled the fluid three times, disconnected all three wiring connectors on the right side of the engine and cleaned them with electrical cleaner, and replaced the TCM. Cleared the code and it comes back on after about 15 miles.

I need to get this thing to stay off so the car will pass emissions. Any help is appreciated.
It sounds like a wiring issue, did you test for power/ground at the connectors?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in