Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
here is what George replied
Quote:
U will have metal from the chain

It’s a common thing with the large coarse chain

It’s new need to wear in
Filter is normal it is not clamped down
Noise in 4wd can be a lot of thing but not in the tc the load can cause a noise but the tc turns all the time in 2wd
How much metal are we talking?
Is it magnetic?
I've never seen fluid that looked like glitter unless what it came out of was on it's way out?

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 09-17-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I've done quite a few TC fluid changes and have never seen anything like this. As I said it looked like metallic paint. Silvery as ever. I'll need to run for awhile and then drain to do the magnet test.
post #18 of 26 Old 09-18-2018, 08:39 AM
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

Following as I also have a 242 from George at TCU.

1993 ZJ Limited - 4.0
1994 ZJ Limited 5.2

post #19 of 26 Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetzar View Post
Following as I also have a 242 from George at TCU.

This is a 'special' Hummer 242 with upgraded planetaries, chain, shift fork. I wouldn't worry much, I had an NP242 from George years ago and it went 100,000 miles and was working great when I totalled that ZJ. I need to drive her now. I wouldn't be worrying that much, but the new noise concerns me. Noises are a warning from god that something is wrong and will fail. My wife and I Jeep alone and go to the middle of nowhere, so a breakdown is undesirable.
post #20 of 26 Old 09-18-2018, 09:52 AM
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
This is a 'special' Hummer 242 with upgraded planetaries, chain, shift fork. I wouldn't worry much, I had an NP242 from George years ago and it went 100,000 miles and was working great when I totalled that ZJ. I need to drive her now. I wouldn't be worrying that much, but the new noise concerns me. Noises are a warning from god that something is wrong and will fail. My wife and I Jeep alone and go to the middle of nowhere, so a breakdown is undesirable.
Gotcha - I've never had any issues with mine - had it for 5 years, but only put about 15k on it. That being said, I love it and felt like I was driving a totally new Jeep after swapping from a worn out NP249.

1993 ZJ Limited - 4.0
1994 ZJ Limited 5.2
post #21 of 26 Old 09-20-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

After draining the TC of fluid with more metal than I have ever seen and filling it with 5w30 syn motor oil, I came home to a small pool of motor oil right under where the TC meets the trans. I had been seeing ATF and thought it was the rear trans seal leaking. I've already pulled the TC twice to replace the rear trans seal without any luck. No wonder. I haven't driven my ZJ since the TC fill, so it can't be an overfill situation.

I emailed [email protected] and mentioned I'm unhappy with the experience.
post #22 of 26 Old 09-20-2018, 09:46 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I told you not to use motor oil.
I would check your transmission ,if it got past the seal like we talked about it's not going to be good.
Did you save any of the oil and run a magnet through it so you can tell what kind of metal it is.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #23 of 26 Old 09-21-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Update, for those that care....

Just talked with George on the phone. First, let me say he answers the phone and has no problem taking the time to talk things over. He wants me to pull the front driveshaft and gather more info about the noise. And he wants me to verify where the leaking is coming from, making sure it's not from the top of the TC somewhere, since the vehicle is lifted and the TC is angled. All sounds well and good. He assured me he stands behind his product 100%. Feeling a little more at ease about the situation.
post #24 of 26 Old 09-21-2018, 10:09 AM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

I appreciate the updates, and I do care, fyi.

By the way, not everything inside the transfer case turns in 2wd. To say the rubbing sound can't be from inside because it doesn't do it in 2wd seems illogical to me.

I don't see how the sparkles could be related to leaking fluid up front, but I suppose there might be a bearing or something letting things move enough to defeat the seal and rub metal off into the fluid. The last time I had unexpected sparkles was a set of gears with the wrong preload (not in a transfer case).

Does your mystery sound change pitch solely based on vehicle speed, or does shifting change it?

I'm perplexed by the different fluid recommendations. Personally, I would go with factory. We know that works in thousands of vehicles. Any other fluids have a smaller sample size to declare success with. Also, you have to make sure that no shop ever tops off your fluids if you run non-factory. I don't know how ATF mixes with motor oil, so maybe that doesn't matter in this case.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, two M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
post #25 of 26 Old 09-21-2018, 03:39 PM
RWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzkicker View Post
By the way, not everything inside the transfer case turns in 2wd. To say the rubbing sound can't be from inside because it doesn't do it in 2wd seems illogical to me.
We don't have locking mechanisms at the front hubs, which means when in 2WD, the front R&P is spinning, which turns the front driveshaft, which turns the t-case input shaft, which turns the chain, which is around the output shaft, which is turning.

So what isn't turning when you're in 2WD in a 242?
post #26 of 26 Old 09-21-2018, 04:26 PM
RWC

Quote:
Update, for those that care....

Just talked with George on the phone. First, let me say he answers the phone and has no problem taking the time to talk things over. He wants me to pull the front driveshaft and gather more info about the noise. And he wants me to verify where the leaking is coming from, making sure it's not from the top of the TC somewhere, since the vehicle is lifted and the TC is angled. All sounds well and good. He assured me he stands behind his product 100%. Feeling a little more at ease about the situation.
I had a couple of long conversations with George when I was deciding whether to rebuild/build my 231 into an HD, or buy a built 231HD or 242HD from him and/or a distributor of his. I ultimately decided to just source the HD parts for the 231 I had and rebuild it myself. That being said, George was a font of information and had no issues explaining exactly what he did, what the parts were he added, how to make the HD version, etc.

One thing I took to heart: Mobile1 10W-30. Since I'm in Alaska, he said 5W-30 would be fine. Nothing else has been in the case since I did the rebuild several years ago, and it's functioned flawlessly, and is quieter. George said he believes they originally called for ATF simply to save time/money on fluids during vehicle assembly, but that the ATF is too light and end up evaporating off much more quickly than motor oil.

(On the T-5, it's a different animal. AMC's version of the T-5 specified gear oil, followed by a TSB requiring some other random AMC special fluid that was still essentially gear oil. That's different than the World Class version of the T-5 used by GM and Ford, which had some different internals and calls for ATF.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in