Sunroof Shade Removal Write Up (with pics) - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-20-2014, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
realnyker
1997 ZJ 

Sunroof Shade Removal Write Up (with pics)

So I searched and searched to find a writeup with pictures on how to remove the sunshade from the sunroof, and I failed. I decided to write one myself, and here we go:

Step 1: Slide the shade all the way back

Step 2: Place the sunroof in the vent position, then remove the plastic side deflectors by sliding the entire assembly towards the rear of the vehicle and then pulling in towards the Jeep. Repeat on the other side.

Step 3: Locate and loosen (DO NOT REMOVE) the three 10mm sunroof glass retaining nuts. Repeat on the other side.

Step 4: Slide the sunroof glass towards the rear of the Jeep so that the sunroof glass retaining nuts are lined up with the larger end of the mounting holes:

Step 5: Push up on the glass lightly to separate it from the sunroof assembly.

Step 6: Lift and place the glass safely on the roof to the rear of the opening so that it is out of the way.

Step 7: Slide the sunroof shade all the way forward.

Step 8: Locate the pressure clip holding the sunroof shade in its track. It is located in the same position on both sides of the shade.

Step 9: Place a small flat head screwdriver into the track at the pressure clip and lightly pry up to release the clip.

Step 10: Pop the shade out of it's track, and remove.

If you need to drive your Jeep before re-installing the sunroof shade be sure to place the glass back in the sunroof assembly and tighten the 10mm retainer nuts (reverse steps 4 and 3).

Now go and reupholster your shade or drop it off at a shop (like I did).

Mr. Puddles and Titnado1 like this.

Last edited by realnyker; 05-20-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 AM
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Very nice writeup. Thanks
post #3 of 18 Old 05-21-2014, 08:44 AM
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

THANK YOU! My shade liner is pretty much toast and I was going to paint it but couldn't find a write up. Now I have another project to complete!

Just trying to keep her goin'!!

post #4 of 18 Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 AM
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Wowsers. A decent write up with good resolution pictures and intelligible instructions. Somebody buy this man a beer!

March 2014 GCOTM. 1998 Deep Slate 5.9
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
post #5 of 18 Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Dukcaln

cheers, I'll drink to that

1992 YJ 4.0 Built Auto SOA 35's 4.56's 8.8 Rear w/Detroit Locker & A Lot More $
post #6 of 18 Old 05-22-2014, 12:44 PM
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Do you have any tips on getting at the nut closest to the front of the jeep?

Never mind that's solved with step 2 it looks like.

Just trying to keep her goin'!!
post #7 of 18 Old 07-19-2014, 02:37 PM
tj2kj

1998 LJ Wrangler 

That was just what I needed - thanks for the awesome write up.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 04:38 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Good job!

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #9 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 05:36 PM
jeepzj1998
1996 ZJ 

Did you replace your seal when you did this project? I think my seal is leaking and the covering is coming loose on the shield.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-04-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
realnyker
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepzj1998 View Post
Did you replace your seal when you did this project? I think my seal is leaking and the covering is coming loose on the shield.
I did not, my sunroof was not leaking. I do not recommend replacing the seal if it is not needed, I have found that replacement sunroof seals sometimes leak after unnecessary "repair".
post #11 of 18 Old 09-30-2017, 06:50 PM
04GCWJfreedom

wow, thank you so much! this is exactly what i was looking for, my headliner was toasted anyways and also my sunroof shade visor!!!!!
post #12 of 18 Old 10-01-2017, 06:08 AM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GCWJfreedom View Post
wow, thank you so much! this is exactly what i was looking for, my headliner was toasted anyways and also my sunroof shade visor!!!!!
Welcome to the forum. My headliner replacement topic may be helpful for your ZJ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-02-2017, 06:08 AM
04GCWJfreedom

I looked at your write up, but my headliner is completely different on my WJ, its almost to the point where half the headliner carpet can be spray glued outside of the Jeep, and the other half I.E sunroof area needs to be installed inside of the Jeep.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 18 Old 10-02-2017, 06:11 AM
04GCWJfreedom

Dude I'm sorry didnt realize this was for a zj smh. But the sunroof looks similar to mine so i think taking the sunroof sunvisor is the same.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 18 Old 06-07-2021, 11:02 AM
Mike48

Excellent write up.. Clear & concise.. Great photo work as well..
I used this to help in the removal of the entire sunroof 'bathtub'.. The black metal case that surrounds the cables which work the window back and forth..
I needed access to the cable system, or so I thought..
Turns out, I didn't really need to drop the tub, but it did make the soldering work easier to control..
My issue was the famous "Cables becoming unattached to the bracket"..
Two brackets, one on each rear corner of the tub.. There are two metal tubes, one running to each corner, from the motor.. That metal tube is notorious for having been poorly soldered.. When it lets go, and you try to slid the window open or close, the cable just pushes the metal tubes out of the bracket..
The window stays put, and you end up with 4 or 5 inches of that spring wound creased cable backing out into the space between the roof and the headliner..
This can only be viewed with the headliner removed..
Now, when you do remove the headliner, you will see the two metal tubes coming from the motor, AND, two black rubber tubes as well.. These are the 'take-up' tubes.. When the motor retracts the window, the cable is pulled down the slides on either side, goes thru the bracket, into the metal tube, and makes a 90 degree turn.. It then moved thru the motor, and the runout is directed into the respective black rubber tubes..
When you see this in person, it will all make since..
The fix: OK, you can solder the metal tubes (FYI: It may be painted.. Mine was, the same color as my ZJ) back to their respective brackets, without taking the tub down.. But, it was much easier having the tub on a flat work space.. In my case, a sheet of ply on two sawhorses..
The metal tube will have the remains of the old solder joint, which you use to determine where to re-solder the bracket back in place.. It will most likely have a slight ridge to help with that placement..
You use a fine emery cloth to sand and clean the metal tube..
I tried a soldering iron, but it could not get the tube and the bracket hot enough to get the solder to flow properly..
Think copper pipe fittings.. You need to get both pieces hot enough, so that the solder will flow deep into the joint surfaces..
So, I used a propane torch.. This worked, but had me worrying about any damage I might be doing to the greased cable inside.. A bit of smoke, and it took a while to cool down, but no issues..
Bottom line, clean tube, apply flux, put a heat barrier behind the flame and bracket, bring it up to temp, and hit it with the solder.. I applied solder from both sides of the bracket..
Like I said, you could probably do this without pulling the bathtub down, but I thought I needed to at the time, and it was easier when it came to the soldering..
Note: There is about 2 1/2 inches of the metal tube that will push into the tub.. Then you bolt it back down.. I found one side slide right in, but one was a total PITA.. The end of the tube was catching on a part of the cable guide, which is the long plastic strip, running from the back corner of the tub, right up to the respective corner of the sunroof.. I had to push, twist and cuss, while 'tweaking' the channel cover with a flat blade screw driver.. When it finally lined up, it slid right in..
Hope this helps.. Pretty wordy, that's for sure! lol...
I'll see if the photos I took are any good.. If so, I'll try and post them..

Tags
cherokee , grand , headliner , shade , sunroof

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in