steering wheel radio controls - ZJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-10-2005, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
mailforjon

2005 WK 

steering wheel radio controls - ZJ

anyone know if the steering wheel mounted radio controls will plug into a laredo with the infinity system? saw a set on ebay and was interested....maybe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-10-2005, 07:41 AM
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailforjon
anyone know if the steering wheel mounted radio controls will plug into a laredo with the infinity system? saw a set on ebay and was interested....maybe.
The "steering wheel controls" control the FACTORY radio head unit's channel, search, & volume. It does so through the body control module (BCM) with the signals carried on the chrysler collision detection (CCD) network. I would bet the wire harness for your Larado has the necessary connectors so that the controls from a similar year model would plug in. the FACTORY head unit must also be plugged into the network (a two wire plug with twisted pair wires) to recieve the signal from the BCM.

HTH

Doug
When all is said and done, more is said than done.
Platinum '97 ZJ LTD, I6 (see profile) Paid for!
Links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for ZJ & WJ stuff,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for performance stuff. I6 performance info at

Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
post #3 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 11:24 AM
FrankTheTank

so is it possible to install a new stereo head unit into my jeep and still be able to some how re hook up the steering wheel volume and radio control?

post #4 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 05:31 PM
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank
so is it possible to install a new stereo head unit into my jeep and still be able to some how re hook up the steering wheel volume and radio control?
Only if it is a original factory OEM unit with that capability. OR, you can get head unit with a wireless remote and a gizmo to interface from the steering wheel contorls to the IR pickup on the head unit such as the PAC SWI-X. here is a review http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_g...7943/id_type=M

Doug
Links:
for ZJ & WJ stuff,

Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
post #5 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 06:26 PM
zjay

I'm not sure if the wiring is there, it would need to be checked against a wiring diagram, but I'd bet you'd at least have to change the clockspring. Usually when I get one for a customer I need to know if it has the controls or not.

96 GC Limited V8 245,000 miles Scrapped
04 GC Limited 4.0 264,000 miles
96 GC 4.0 175,000
post #6 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 07:00 PM
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

According to the directions in the package one has to cut a wire from the switches and splice in the wire from the SWI-X, However, I have yet to complete the install - its too cold and I don't have the time to figure out which wire to cut now.

Doug
Links:
for ZJ & WJ stuff,

post #7 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 07:55 PM
CurtP

Most 96-98 ZJ's already have the wiring in place - it's just plug-n-play. There are some OEM radios that don't interface with the CCD - you should be fine if the radio is the AM/FM/Cassette/CD player w/3-band EQ.

I've installed a 98 5.9 steering wheel in my 96 and everything worked fine. I may end up with an extra steering wheel with radio controls that will be available for someone looking for one. It will probably be 2-3 weeks though.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZJ
The "steering wheel controls" control the FACTORY radio head unit's channel, search, & volume. It does so through the body control module (BCM) with the signals carried on the chrysler collision detection (CCD) network. I would bet the wire harness for your Larado has the necessary connectors so that the controls from a similar year model would plug in. the FACTORY head unit must also be plugged into the network (a two wire plug with twisted pair wires) to recieve the signal from the BCM.

HTH

Doug, I am so proud!

Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited
post #9 of 10 Old 12-18-2005, 12:12 PM
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
Doug, I am so proud!
Cat Fancier?, Who Day?

So, Is it true. Do i win the bet?

HTH (purloined from Warren)

Doug
Links:
for ZJ & WJ stuff,

post #10 of 10 Old 06-10-2021, 04:45 PM
nam3l3ss

Hi. Anybody knows the part number of the stering wheel buttons for the radio? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in