Steering is off . Help please. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-19-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Alberta95Jeep

Steering is off . Help please.

So I've made a couple posts already ablut the GC , 2 weeks ago I bought a 95 zj with 4.0L and 249 t case. The lady I bought it from complained about steering being bad and actually had a used one that came with it. She just didn't end up replacing it when she got a brand new car. So the one that was in there now was ****ty was leaking pretty good and to drive straight the wheel was at 11 o clock. I swapped out the box for the better shape one it came with. Went for a drive and now the steering wheel is at 1 o clock to drive straight. How can i straighten out this steering wheel? And there still some play in the box i should i tighten up that adjustment bolt a little bit to tighten up some of the free play?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-20-2020, 06:43 AM
hilljacknm
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Adjust the length of the track bar to adjust steering wheel position. I would check toe in also.

1996 ZJ 5.2
Doug Thorley Headers, Kolak exhaust
B&M 70268 trans cooler
BFG KM3 30x9.50
post #3 of 9 Old 12-20-2020, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Alberta95Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljacknm View Post
Adjust the length of the track bar to adjust steering wheel position. I would check toe in also.

This track bar isn't adjustable. Don't you mean the drag link that goes to pitman arm?

post #4 of 9 Old 12-20-2020, 08:26 AM
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta95Jeep View Post
This track bar isn't adjustable. Don't you mean the drag link that goes to pitman arm?
Youve got it...

When you park the Jeep, keep the wheel turned to where the wheels are straight. Have someone sit in the Jeep while you loosen the bolts on the adjuster. Turn it till the steering wheel is straight, tighten the bolts.... Its pretty easy long as the adjuster isnt rusted in place.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #5 of 9 Old 12-20-2020, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Alberta95Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
Quote:
Youve got it...

When you park the Jeep, keep the wheel turned to where the wheels are straight. Have someone sit in the Jeep while you loosen the bolts on the adjuster. Turn it till the steering wheel is straight, tighten the bolts.... Its pretty easy long as the adjuster isnt rusted in place.

Awesome ya no problem. But if there is still some free play once I get everything straight is adjusting that lock nut onto of steering box going to help me out? I heard only to do micro adjustments. I know these jeeps are always going to have bit of play i just feel like it could be smidge tighter
post #6 of 9 Old 12-20-2020, 10:10 AM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWING View Post
Quote:
Awesome thank you! I just don't want to install the used box then have to get an alignment lol is there and videos on adjusting these things ?
Before you install the new used box search out the adjustments that need to be done on the steering gearbox on the bench.
First and in this order, adjust the worm bearing preload (page 19-18 in the FSM) and when this is accomplished do the over center rotating torque adjustment which is on the same page in the FSM.

DO NOT TRY THIS WITH THE STEERING GEARBOX INSTALLED

FSM downloads are available @ west coast manuals for under $10, free on some websites I've heard.

Good luck,

GW

I'm assuming fsm stands for factory service manuals? Thanks for the info!!! I was about to just slap it on. BUT if I went and bought a new reman from the parts store would I still have to do this process? Thanks again!

"The Dude Abides"

"Your axles are going to turn into spaghetti noodles."
Polka Power 1/3/2021
post #7 of 9 Old 12-20-2020, 10:31 AM
hilljacknm
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:

Ops. Yep, drag link. Glad the guys stopped by and straightened that out.

1996 ZJ 5.2
Doug Thorley Headers, Kolak exhaust
B&M 70268 trans cooler
BFG KM3 30x9.50
post #8 of 9 Old 12-20-2020, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Alberta95Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
Quote:
Youve got it...

I got it pretty close but not perfect still. I tighten the steering box adjusting nut about half turn
Its a little better for sure but steering is still off when driving. I think it may need an alignment.. which means I gotta replace the whole front end cause there going to pick it apart before they do anytning
post #9 of 9 Old 12-26-2020, 01:25 PM
TonyStadnichuk
1997 ZJ 

Maybe try and find someone with another jeep to compare the steering characteristics. These Jeeps aren't really know for their razor sharp handling. More like a grain truck than anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in