Steering box recommendations for a 95 zj limited my winter beater - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-29-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
mgcurry

Steering box recommendations for a 95 zj limited my winter beater

Have approx 100k front end and suspension is good with no play all the off center slop appears to be in the steering box and no where else so a stock rebuilt unit. Is there a better upgrade unit? Slightly bigger than stock ko2ís not lift

What do you guys recommend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-29-2017, 11:04 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcurry View Post
Have approx 100k front end and suspension is good with no play all the off center slop appears to be in the steering box and no where else so a stock rebuilt unit. Is there a better upgrade unit? Slightly bigger than stock ko2’s not lift

What do you guys recommend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm going to assume that it's aligned, and you said the front end is new. Including ball joints.
The box might be the problem but the frame rail the box is bolted to is flimsy and will bend when you turn the wheel which can cause that loose feeling and dead spot. Also tie rod roll can be a big factor.
Before you go dropping 400+(my PSC gear was 475 on sale) on a new gear consider a steering box brace which will keep it from moving around when you turn the wheel. Also HighLonesome mentioned replacing the steering shaft u joints.
Even after I replaced my steering gear I still had a dead spot. The brace and cure together made a huge difference in how mine feels.
I bought the one ton version because I'm swapping axles soon so I just installed it over the dust boot until then. Made a big difference.
Your steering gear could be shot but maybe not.
My current ZJ is a 98 that wasn't very well kept and I thought a new gear was on the list until I put those things on and I still have bad ball joints too!
https://mountainvistafabrication.com...ring-box-brace
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R1768.html
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20171229_220114.jpg   ForumRunner_20171229_220135.jpg  
post #3 of 15 Old 12-30-2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
mgcurry

Much appreciated I will have a look at it

post #4 of 15 Old 12-30-2017, 07:48 AM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

I read somewhere the cure is only for a 4.0 zj. Not sure why.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-30-2017, 09:35 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
I read somewhere the cure is only for a 4.0 zj. Not sure why.
They have 2 versions.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-30-2017, 03:49 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
They have 2 versions.
The one you linked is the V8 cure I assume?
post #7 of 15 Old 12-30-2017, 03:56 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
The one you linked is the V8 cure I assume?
R2008 is the other part number. I got the 1 ton version because I'm going to use it when I swap axles probably.
The center hole was too big for the tre stud but the outer edge fits pretty snug over the dust boot and after torquing it down, it's solid. You can see in the first photo.
It's supposed to fit with the V8 steering but ruff stuff told me they have had a few people say that the V8/1 ton version was too large.
I haven't seen the other 4.0 version in person so I don't know how small it is or if it will fit better.
It's best to ask them over messenger from their Facebook page. They are quite responsive and have excellent customer service.
They told me if I wanted to they'd refund me but I wasn't interested.

Sent from my GRACE using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 Old 12-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Mopar4U
2016 KL Cherokee 

wouldnt a series of washers do the same as “the cure”?

why not try to properly adjust your existing steering box per the fsm?
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...ering-1164443/
or is it leaking?
post #9 of 15 Old 12-30-2017, 05:45 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar4U View Post
wouldnt a series of washers do the same as “the cure”?

why not try to properly adjust your existing steering box per the fsm?
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...ering-1164443/
or is it leaking?
No, because it's designed to take the place of the rubber dust boot.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Mopar4U
2016 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
No, because it's designed to take the place of the rubber dust boot.
in your circumstance you didnt replace the boot, you put it right over the boot, so why not just put washers over the boot?
post #11 of 15 Old 12-30-2017, 06:36 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar4U View Post
in your circumstance you didnt replace the boot, you put it right over the boot, so why not just put washers over the boot?
The way mine is installed is not how it ideally should be.
The center hole should be snug on the stud. That's why I left the boot on.
It's only temporary until I swap my hp44 in.
If you look at the back of how it's shaped, it's not flat. The circumference of it has a lip it that goes over the end of the tre too to seal it up and has room for grease.
You just have to look at it to see what I'm talking about. It's not flat like a washer.
Sent from my GRACE using Tapatalk
post #12 of 15 Old 12-30-2017, 09:41 PM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

[QUOTE=PolkaPower;39453154]I'm going to assume that it's aligned, and you said the front end is new. Including ball joints.

The OP stated that he had 100,000 on his front suspension.

GW

"The Dude Abides"
post #13 of 15 Old 01-03-2018, 05:48 AM
ultraclyde
1997 ZJ 

I just got my '97 5.2L back from the alignment shop after rebuilding the entire front end and the play on center is suddenly REALLY noticeable. I was looking at RuffStuff's site and just emailed them about V8 ZJ applications yesterday. Their response was:

The ZJ V8 drag link tie rod ends are a bit larger than the stock 6 cylinder steering linkage. We have found the best fitment with that drag link is to leave the grease boot on and install the white one ton Cure over top of it(some shaving of the face of the cure may be required for full seating of the stud). The black Jeep cure measures 1 3/8" across the "cup" and the white GM cure is about 1 13/16" inside the "cup"(cup must fit around the outside of the tie rod end housing).
I'm going to try adjusting the box this weekend. It's got 160k abused miles, I just bought it 2 months back. I guarantee it's never been adjusted. If that doesn't make me happy I'll order the Cure since it's cheap and easy. Then maybe a brace, but it's running 235/70r15 street tires right now, so I kind of doubt the body's flexing enough to be a big contributor. If I'm still not happy I'll throw a rebuilt box in it, probably a Blue Top.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-18-2019, 08:11 PM
peter_zabriskie

1997 ZJ 

If anyone is still reading this thread, thank you very much. My ‘97 355000 mile ZJ now has no more over center steering adjustment left but still a small dead spot in the steering. This “cure” may do the trick to keep me motoring over the 400k mark.

Prayer does not use up artificial energy, doesn't burn up any fossil fuel, doesn't pollute.M.Mead
post #15 of 15 Old 01-19-2019, 07:31 AM
Baddad71
1996 ZJ 

My 91 Chevy S10 also had real bad steering slop and vague feel, even after all new steering parts like tie rod ends and ball joints and bushings. I even replaced my steering column, no improvement.

I found out through the S10 forum there was a common failure point: the rag joint in the steering center shaft between firewall and steering gear box.
There is a popular mod with S10 enthusiasts for a permanent fix, replace the factory S10 steering center shaft with a center shaft from a Jeep XJ. They are both GM Saginaw systems. The Jeep shaft needs to have 1" cut off the shaft end, but has the same connections on the flange end, but has a u-joint instead of a rag joint. I was building a corner carver, so I also swapped to a Z65 sport steering box (for Grand National/ Monte Carlo SS) that was 2.2 turns lock-to-lock at the same time.
The difference was amazing. Laser precise steering after mod.
U-joints are way more durable than rag joints, and jeeps already have them, but u-joints can wear out, and with your miles, and things you have already tried, I would check for play or slop in the center shaft u-joint.

Building a 1998 ZJ 5.2 4X4 for a friend. NP242 swap 4.5" lift 33x12.50

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in