2Likes
  • 1 Post By i-joshua
  • 1 Post By Kolak

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-06-2021, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
i-joshua

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Steering box new. Questions ¿Lares, Crown, ...?

My steering box doesn't feel tight in a straight line.

I changed the steering ball joints and tried adjusting the preload on my steering box, but it did not improve.

I want to buy a new steering box. In this forum, I saw good reviews of Crown (value for money). I found in Rockauto a Lares 11353 box for $ 337. They say it is not remanufactured. It's new.

What opinion do you have of these 2 companies?

ZJ 5.2 V8 from La Coruña, Spain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-14-2021, 01:48 AM
Titnado1
1998 ZJ 

Garage
I buy a ton of stuff from rock auto they are usually the best price on most parts. shipping has gon up lately but as for which brand i really couldnt tell you.

If you can drive it, fly it, or bang it.... rent it.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-14-2021, 10:00 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I’ve put crown boxes in a few Jeep’s and been very happy with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-14-2021, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
i-joshua

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
I’ve put crown boxes in a few Jeep’s and been very happy with them.
Thank you. i think i'll go with Crown

post #5 of 13 Old 09-14-2021, 03:15 PM
jeepjeepster

Kolak sells the crown units. Not sure if he has the lowest price or not, but he supports the ZJ community.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #6 of 13 Old 09-15-2021, 03:10 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Thanks for mentioning me

If you'd like to discuss steering boxes you can PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected]

I might try to talk you into getting yours rebuilt though - if you can tolerate some downtime there's rebuilders that can offer some interesting upgrades. Tom Lee is one and people are talking about Blue Top a lot lately...

I have the Tom Lee box in my ZJ and it's really impressive. He retired a few years ago but his employees have kept the business running.

Blue Top is from some of the people who originally were from Red Top.

I carry Crown but you might want to pursue one of these others if you want something higher performance.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #7 of 13 Old 09-15-2021, 04:47 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Thanks for mentioning me

If you'd like to discuss steering boxes you can PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected]

I might try to talk you into getting yours rebuilt though - if you can tolerate some downtime there's rebuilders that can offer some interesting upgrades. Tom Lee is one and people are talking about Blue Top a lot lately...

I have the Tom Lee box in my ZJ and it's really impressive. He retired a few years ago but his employees have kept the business running.

I carry Crown but you might want to pursue one of these others if you want something higher performance.

Can the Tom Lee guys tap a port for hydro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 13 Old 09-15-2021, 08:46 AM
IndyGunsmith

In a 98 ZJ, is it better to rebuild yourself, or replace? I'm torn on the idea of cost of new, versus cost of my time and rebuild kit....
post #9 of 13 Old 09-15-2021, 12:39 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunsmith View Post
In a 98 ZJ, is it better to rebuild yourself, or replace? I'm torn on the idea of cost of new, versus cost of my time and rebuild kit....
If your current steering box isn't badly worn internally, I'd definitely rebuild it. I have two steering boxes which I've rebuilt, other is the ZJ original and the other from my first XJ.
After rebuilding and properly adjusting them per FSM instructions, both have just about zero play and perform flawlessly. I drilled & tapped the other one for hydro assist, other is standard.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #10 of 13 Old 09-15-2021, 02:56 PM
IndyGunsmith

Mine's pretty sloppy in steering. I'm going to a local junkyard tomorrow to pull a steering gear out of a wrecked one. Thought I could use it, and rebuild the one in mine for a back up.

I've seen on here the instructions (very detailed instructions). I just wish there was a parts list/complete rebuild kit number I could search and buy!
post #11 of 13 Old 09-22-2021, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
i-joshua

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for mentioning me

I am interested in knowing more about Blue Top. Although I have to say, I never heard good things from rebuilt headboxes.

It would be to send to Europe. Do you have resources to send outside the USA?
Kolak likes this.

post #12 of 13 Old 09-23-2021, 01:07 AM
Kolak
Vendor

If we're shipping overseas, I'd suggest a brand new box to reduce the chances of any warranty issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-joshua View Post
I am interested in knowing more about Blue Top. Although I have to say, I never heard good things from rebuilt headboxes.

It would be to send to Europe. Do you have resources to send outside the USA?
Timo_90xj likes this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #13 of 13 Old 09-24-2021, 07:28 PM
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Thanks for mentioning me

Thats very interesting... Really wish I would've known this before I bought a redhead, as that was a HUGE waste of time and money. You'd be better off steering the Jeep into a tree...

Wish I had still had my original unit, I would send it to the Lee crew.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in