Steering Box - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Liebo
1998 ZJ 

Steering Box

Need to replace my box, it is currently a reman but I had death wobble that beat it up. The adjustment trick doesn't work anymore either. (death wobble is cured) Considering an ACDELCO reman box, wondering if anyone has any experience with one, or another reman that is reliable. Not interested in a new box, rather save the money for a brace.
Part of me feels like "these boxes are always bad" due to incorrect installation/lack of system bleed etc. so ill give the reman one more shot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 11:09 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Remanufactured boxes are often junk, because all they do is replace the seals and bearings, paint it up and with luck might adjust it properly.
However, no internal hard parts are replaced like worm gear, rack piston or sector shaft - so the parts that cause the sloppy steering are still there.

The ONLY way to reliably get a good box is to buy a new Crown or PSC steering box. Reman boxes are a crapshoot where you often end up with just as bad a box you already had.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #3 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Liebo
1998 ZJ 

Crown would be optimal. Got skeptic when I heard of people getting bad crown units, and the thought of mail order warranty sounds frustrating, but then thats where I thought maybe it was bad install. I entertained the idea of rebuilding it myself to buy some time, but it doesn't seem economical. Might just have to go the crown route and hold off on the brace.

post #4 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 02:58 AM
Kolak
Vendor

I'm a Crown dealer. Bad components are rare but I have a very close relationship with them. If something does go bad under warranty, they send out a replacement. No need to return the old one.

If I can assist, please PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected]
GOLDWING likes this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
post #5 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Liebo
1998 ZJ 

Thanks Kolak, Ill get in touch.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 10:30 PM
ax1598ZJ

1935 CJ2A 

Also, if you want to do an easy bolt in upgrade you can go with a Durango steering box. I went through 2 bad remans (sloppy output shaft) and decided to get a Durango box from the junkyard. Or a new Durango box if the junkyard isnít your thing. Bolt in and has been working great for 3 years(ish) now. Just a thought, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1998 green ZJ 4.0L, ax15 trans and a vengeful PCM, 4.5" lift 33x10.5
post #7 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 10:33 PM
ax1598ZJ

1935 CJ2A 

Another thing, remans generally are bad about half the time, especially in dodges and jeeps from my experience. Put a lot of those things in and your usually doing it again a year later

post #8 of 18 Old 02-28-2020, 05:53 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The durango box is hardly an upgrade for the ZJ. It's a slower ratio box than stock.
Timo_90xj likes this.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-28-2020, 11:39 PM
riverzj

Steering Box

I would go with either a redhead or bluetop. PSC is good but expensive. Remans are usually junk. I run a redhead on my ZJ and PSC on JK.
Edit: I also would highly recommend a box brace. It makes any boxís life span longer. I went with an Ironman4x4fab brace

post #10 of 18 Old 02-29-2020, 01:24 AM
ax1598ZJ

1935 CJ2A 

To each their own, I personally didnít want to spend hundreds on a new box so I took the Durango option paired with a brace. Between the other stock zjs and xjs in my family I canít tell much of a difference in turning speed from mine besides it turning 33s

post #11 of 18 Old 02-29-2020, 02:26 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax1598ZJ View Post
To each their own, I personally didnít want to spend hundreds on a new box so I took the Durango option paired with a brace. Between the other stock zjs and xjs in my family I canít tell much of a difference in turning speed from mine besides it turning 33s

A used steering box is a used steering box, it isn't any better than the XJ/ZJ/TJ boxes.
Slower ratio gives you a bit more oomph to turn the tires and more precision when on the trails, but it's not as good on the road. I don't remember if the Dodge steering box version with the bigger piston has a fixed ratio or variable ratio, ZJ boxes use variable ratio steering which is way better for road use than a slow fixed ratio.

It is true that occasionally ZJ PS pump + steering box setup will lack power to turn 33" or larger tires when wheeling. However, it is not that common and the good thing is you notice when the tires are binding so you don't break steering/ suspension parts - or the uniframe.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #12 of 18 Old 02-29-2020, 08:19 AM
ax1598ZJ

1935 CJ2A 

Like I said, it is an option for the OP as he specifically said he would like to buy a brace with his money as well. Just have to try to find one, whether it be a zj or Durango box, that has lower miles and check the output shaft for play.
Is the JY the best option? Not really. Is it a budget option? Absolutely.

post #13 of 18 Old 02-29-2020, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Liebo
1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys. I was planning for the iron man brace, also no plans for bigger than 31's so stock replacement is fine. Considering I'd like to not do this again for as long as possible i'll probably just get a new one despite the budget plan, it just makes more sense. After all, this is one of the last things it needs at this point. (For now)
Timo_90xj likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-29-2020, 10:08 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax1598ZJ View Post
Like I said, it is an option for the OP as he specifically said he would like to buy a brace with his money as well. Just have to try to find one, whether it be a zj or Durango box, that has lower miles and check the output shaft for play.

Shaft play doesn't have much to do with how the rack piston and sector shaft teeth have worn. They can be in absolutely perfect condition, but the bearings have failed and/ or adjustment has gone out-of-spec. and you've got play in the input and output.

I'd start with adjusting the original steering box, if it comes out OK then order a rebuild kit and do it yourself. That way you actually know what you're getting, instead of gambling if one of the reman junk boxes out of ten is good.

I've rebuilt three Jeep steering boxes, they all came out to be very good even though the starting point was a sloppy, leaky box with either input or output shaft play. That being said, I'm not 100% satisfied with my current ZJ box after having beaten it for almost ten years on the trails. I'll go with a new Crown unit at some point, I will definitely NOT be buying a reman junk. Why? Because I know I will never get one that is better than my current one. If I was looking for a reman, I'd much rather hit the junkyards and find one that feels the best and rebuild that..

***Under construction***
post #15 of 18 Old 03-02-2020, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Liebo
1998 ZJ 

I have adjusted it I think 3-4 times in less than 1500 miles. It just gets loose again, I have had a "slow-motion" shake a couple times. I wouldn't call it death wobble but I can feel a vibration that wants to get out of hand. I believe most of if not all the play is on the input, I can twist the steering shaft maybe an inch in either direction, steering wheel moves but nothing under the box does.
I wasn't sure if adjusting the box anymore was even going to help. It also didn't leak until the 2nd time I loosened the adjustment screw.
Wasn't sure about the rebuild kits but I'm not opposed. Haven't looked much actually.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in