At a stand still / looking for advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 09-15-2021, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
LParker501

Garage
At a stand still / looking for advice

I’ve been building a 96 zj for about a year and a half now , it’s rolled out of the garage a couple times .
First time being when I swapped rear axle and installed long arms went on a Jeep poker run .
During this maiden voyage it randomly would stall but would fire right back up and occasionally would die at idle . Again it would start right back up . I wasn’t to worried as I had found other things to address on this trip, I honestly didn’t think much of it .
Fast forward about 7 months to current time Jeep comes out of the garage again runs drives still stalls etc turn it around to do the rear coil over and frame plating etc . I finished it drove it to the gas station about 1 mile each way pull in the drive way won’t freaking start back up .
Go through the checks that I’ve found in here the dirty dozen rat monkey and zee jays listsetc for stalling huge help by the way Huuuge . ( at this time I have a no start ) .
So check spark got none , went through cps and it didn’t check out, replaced it (volt gauge and fuel gauge would get stuck at zero before) they still hang up occasionally . Bypassed ignition switch to rule out key tumbler passed .
Thoroughly cleaned pcm grounds at coil , cleaned charging system grounds at passenger side fender . Inspected grounds at back of block both driver and passenger heads and cleaned where they meet at firewall .
IT starts !!! At this point I’m stoked like heck yeah we’re back , I haven’t even got to wheel this thing yet . Turn it off won’t start . Wait 30 min starts right back up . Turn it off 2 mins after starting if that won’t start back up . I’m kinda stuck here .
New plugs New wires New rotor New coil New cps Above grounds mentioned cleaned Fuel pressure checks out 1 code for ambient battery temp high 1 week old optima Temp here’s about 110 outside 1 code Evan purge solenoid . This rig is off-road only doesn’t have any emission stuff . 1 code high voltage 02 bank 1 sensor 2 code No cat no 2nd sensor So at the moment that’s where I sit . I’m Looking for suggestions and help as to where to go and what to do . I’ve also checked trying to start with 02 sensor plugged in and unplugged . As well as rattled pcm wires cleaned them unplugged snd re plugged squeezed trying to make a broke solder reconnect . No effect at all so trying to get Some help where to go to next , would camshaft sensor cause this issue ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-16-2021, 03:29 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am guessing a V8?
Tell us ALL the codes your seeing.
Also do a fuel pressure test observe and post pressure drop.
I would want to know the codes But easy test -when turned off, CAREFULLY open gas cap -was there a air rushing sound? And did it restart easy?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-16-2021, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
LParker501

Garage

1 code Evap purge solenoid

1 code battery ambient temp high

1 code 02 sensor sensor 1 bank 2

I will check the gas rushing sound today

post #4 of 21 Old 09-16-2021, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
LParker501

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
I am guessing a V8?
Tell us ALL the codes your seeing.
Also do a fuel pressure test observe and post pressure drop.
I would want to know the codes But easy test -when turned off, CAREFULLY open gas cap -was there a air rushing sound? And did it restart easy?

No on the air rushing out of the tank
post #5 of 21 Old 09-16-2021, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
LParker501

Garage
So I’ve determined fuel psi at idle is 50 psi

The issue is 100 percent spark related I got a inline spark checker and I’m getting intermittent fire st the coil. Any suggestions
post #6 of 21 Old 09-16-2021, 02:43 PM
riiz

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LParker501 View Post
So Iíve determined fuel psi at idle is 50 psi

The issue is 100 percent spark related I got a inline spark checker and Iím getting intermittent fire st the coil. Any suggestions
Try it with the old coil and check the power to the coil pack. But an intermittent spark could be the result of a sensor issue, and the pcm is not seeing the info it needs to fire a spark.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-16-2021, 04:06 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Yes a cam shaft position sensor can cause no spark/start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 21 Old 09-16-2021, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
LParker501

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LParker501 View Post
So I’ve determined fuel psi at idle is 50 psi

The issue is 100 percent spark related I got a inline spark checker and I’m getting intermittent fire st the coil. Any suggestions
Try it with the old coil and check the power to the coil pack. But an intermittent spark could be the result of a sensor issue, and the pcm is not seeing the info it needs to fire a spark.
I did this had they same effect , I’m wondering if it’s ground high resistance issue . I moved the battery to the rear trunk area (sealed dry cell) ran a 1 foot ground and the only other two grounds are the rear fire wall and the charging system ground that actually go to the frame or chassis so to speak . Yes theres did there grounds but not that I can visually see that go to the frame .
post #9 of 21 Old 09-16-2021, 09:26 PM
Titnado1
1998 ZJ 

Garage
what brand cps did you get? Ive read alot about certain brands being junk

If you can drive it, fly it, or bang it.... rent it.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-17-2021, 03:11 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

post the code # ie P013x - devil is in the details.
What did the fuel pressure drop to in @5minutes?

Coil -
is there 12v at coil?
A test light into each cavity of coil connector does it blink when cranking ?

post #11 of 21 Old 09-17-2021, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
LParker501

Garage
LParker501

Quote:
post the code # ie P013x - devil is in the details.
What did the fuel pressure drop to in @5minutes?

Coil -
is there 12v at coil?
A test light into each cavity of coil connector does it blink when cranking ?
p1492-active

p0443 -active

p0138 -pending

fuel psi dropped 2 lbs

coil is getting power on initial cranking , it starts .

shut it off then re crank to start no coil voltage

then wait 1-2 mins has voltage on crank again and starts
post #12 of 21 Old 09-17-2021, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
LParker501

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titnado1 View Post
what brand cps did you get? Ive read alot about certain brands being junk
im thinking we are on the same page man , i ordered a mopar one this morning .the one i replaced the original with is a non mopar and i think it might be the issue . its worth a try , ive tried not to just throw 70 here and there at it but i figure everything ive done to this point is basically maintenance stuff anyway so whats the harm
post #13 of 21 Old 09-17-2021, 08:57 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

the coil is powered by the ASD - might want to check the circuit- easiest is checking at the ASD in PDC.
Also the injectors are on same circuit. might be an idea to check them at same time.
Ask if you need awiring diagram.
P0443 purge solenoid check fuse - just be sure its NOT shorted and held open. A test light.

the P0138 o2 sensor might be causing the system to 'short' out, likely removing a fuse will cure. tht and post cat wiring sometimes has problem rubbing drive shaft - just a place to look

post #14 of 21 Old 09-17-2021, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
LParker501

Garage
asd circuit checked out ,everything read as it should .

on that 02 wiring do you know im gonna order a fooler for it sense i dont have a cat or sensor back their.

so i guess as of now just gonna have to wait for parts , ill swing that mopar cps in it and the 02 fooler and go from there
post #15 of 21 Old 09-17-2021, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
LParker501

Garage
Quote:
the coil is powered by the ASD - might want to check the circuit- easiest is checking at the ASD in PDC.
Also the injectors are on same circuit. might be an idea to check them at same time.
Ask if you need awiring diagram.
P0443 purge solenoid check fuse - just be sure its NOT shorted and held open. A test light.

the P0138 o2 sensor might be causing the system to 'short' out, likely removing a fuse will cure. tht and post cat wiring sometimes has problem rubbing drive shaft - just a place to look
hey would u happen to know the fuse in the pdc for the p0138 issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in