Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

At a stand still / looking for advice

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  LParker501 
#1 ·
I’ve been building a 96 zj for about a year and a half now , it’s rolled out of the garage a couple times .
First time being when I swapped rear axle and installed long arms went on a Jeep poker run .
During this maiden voyage it randomly would stall but would fire right back up and occasionally would die at idle . Again it would start right back up . I wasn’t to worried as I had found other things to address on this trip, I honestly didn’t think much of it .
Fast forward about 7 months to current time Jeep comes out of the garage again runs drives still stalls etc turn it around to do the rear coil over and frame plating etc . I finished it drove it to the gas station about 1 mile each way pull in the drive way won’t freaking start back up .
Go through the checks that I’ve found in here the dirty dozen rat monkey and zee jays listsetc for stalling huge help by the way Huuuge . ( at this time I have a no start ) .
So check spark got none , went through cps and it didn’t check out, replaced it (volt gauge and fuel gauge would get stuck at zero before) they still hang up occasionally . Bypassed ignition switch to rule out key tumbler passed .
Thoroughly cleaned pcm grounds at coil , cleaned charging system grounds at passenger side fender . Inspected grounds at back of block both driver and passenger heads and cleaned where they meet at firewall .
IT starts !!! At this point I’m stoked like heck yeah we’re back , I haven’t even got to wheel this thing yet . Turn it off won’t start . Wait 30 min starts right back up . Turn it off 2 mins after starting if that won’t start back up . I’m kinda stuck here .
New plugs New wires New rotor New coil New cps Above grounds mentioned cleaned Fuel pressure checks out 1 code for ambient battery temp high 1 week old optima Temp here’s about 110 outside 1 code Evan purge solenoid . This rig is off-road only doesn’t have any emission stuff . 1 code high voltage 02 bank 1 sensor 2 code No cat no 2nd sensor So at the moment that’s where I sit . I’m Looking for suggestions and help as to where to go and what to do . I’ve also checked trying to start with 02 sensor plugged in and unplugged . As well as rattled pcm wires cleaned them unplugged snd re plugged squeezed trying to make a broke solder reconnect . No effect at all so trying to get Some help where to go to next , would camshaft sensor cause this issue ?

See less See more
#2 ·
I am guessing a V8?
Tell us ALL the codes your seeing.
Also do a fuel pressure test observe and post pressure drop.
I would want to know the codes But easy test -when turned off, CAREFULLY open gas cap -was there a air rushing sound? And did it restart easy?

#6 ·
So I've determined fuel psi at idle is 50 psi

The issue is 100 percent spark related I got a inline spark checker and I'm getting intermittent fire st the coil. Any suggestions
Try it with the old coil and check the power to the coil pack. But an intermittent spark could be the result of a sensor issue, and the pcm is not seeing the info it needs to fire a spark.

#12 ·
im thinking we are on the same page man , i ordered a mopar one this morning .the one i replaced the original with is a non mopar and i think it might be the issue . its worth a try , ive tried not to just throw 70 here and there at it but i figure everything ive done to this point is basically maintenance stuff anyway so whats the harm

#10 ·
post the code # ie P013x - devil is in the details.
What did the fuel pressure drop to in @5minutes?

Coil -
is there 12v at coil?
A test light into each cavity of coil connector does it blink when cranking ?

#13 ·
the coil is powered by the ASD - might want to check the circuit- easiest is checking at the ASD in PDC.
Also the injectors are on same circuit. might be an idea to check them at same time.
Ask if you need awiring diagram.
P0443 purge solenoid check fuse - just be sure its NOT shorted and held open. A test light.

the P0138 o2 sensor might be causing the system to 'short' out, likely removing a fuse will cure. tht and post cat wiring sometimes has problem rubbing drive shaft - just a place to look

#15 ·
the coil is powered by the ASD - might want to check the circuit- easiest is checking at the ASD in PDC.
Also the injectors are on same circuit. might be an idea to check them at same time.
Ask if you need awiring diagram.
P0443 purge solenoid check fuse - just be sure its NOT shorted and held open. A test light.

the P0138 o2 sensor might be causing the system to 'short' out, likely removing a fuse will cure. tht and post cat wiring sometimes has problem rubbing drive shaft - just a place to look
hey would u happen to know the fuse in the pdc for the p0138 issue

#14 ·
asd circuit checked out ,everything read as it should .

on that 02 wiring do you know im gonna order a fooler for it sense i dont have a cat or sensor back their.

so i guess as of now just gonna have to wait for parts , ill swing that mopar cps in it and the 02 fooler and go from there

#16 ·
I would think a 'simulator' for the o2 sensor. Google that.

Check the purge be sure iit is not open- vacuum going to tank.

The ASD checked SO the coil issue is resolved?

I will try and get a diagram for o2.

#18 ·
I would think a 'simulator' for the o2 sensor. Google that.

Check the purge be sure iit is not open- vacuum going to tank.

The ASD checked SO the coil issue is resolved?

I will try and get a diagram for o2.
I looked up how to check the circuit at the pdc it checked out swapped the relay for a brand new one same effect . I'm waiting on a an oem mopar cps to get here this coming week . I'd love to send a video but this site is apparently living in the year 2000 and I can't or I don't have enough posts which is equally dumb .

If that don't work I'll swap the computer . I've also replaced the cam sensor with an own one .

#17 ·
I've been building a 96 zj for about a year and a half now , it's rolled out of the garage a couple times .
First time being when I swapped rear axle and installed long arms went on a Jeep poker run .
During this maiden voyage it randomly would stall but would fire right back up and occasionally would die at idle . Again it would start right back up . I wasn't to worried as I had found other things to address on this trip, I honestly didn't think much of it .
Fast forward about 7 months to current time Jeep comes out of the garage again runs drives still stalls etc turn it around to do the rear coil over and frame plating etc . I finished it drove it to the gas station about 1 mile each way pull in the drive way won't freaking start back up .
Go through the checks that I've found in here the dirty dozen rat monkey and zee jays listsetc for stalling huge help by the way Huuuge . ( at this time I have a no start ) .
So check spark got none , went through cps and it didn't check out, replaced it (volt gauge and fuel gauge would get stuck at zero before) they still hang up occasionally . Bypassed ignition switch to rule out key tumbler passed .
Thoroughly cleaned pcm grounds at coil , cleaned charging system grounds at passenger side fender . Inspected grounds at back of block both driver and passenger heads and cleaned where they meet at firewall .
IT starts !!! At this point I'm stoked like heck yeah we're back , I haven't even got to wheel this thing yet . Turn it off won't start . Wait 30 min starts right back up . Turn it off 2 mins after starting if that won't start back up . I'm kinda stuck here .
New plugs New wires New rotor New coil New cps Above grounds mentioned cleaned Fuel pressure checks out 1 code for ambient battery temp high 1 week old optima Temp here's about 110 outside 1 code Evan purge solenoid . This rig is off-road only doesn't have any emission stuff . 1 code high voltage 02 bank 1 sensor 2 code No cat no 2nd sensor So at the moment that's where I sit . I'm Looking for suggestions and help as to where to go and what to do . I've also checked trying to start with 02 sensor plugged in and unplugged . As well as rattled pcm wires cleaned them unplugged snd re plugged squeezed trying to make a broke solder reconnect . No effect at all so trying to get Some help where to go to next , would camshaft sensor cause this issue ?
I had a 97 zj with a 4.0 slow and had very similar problems..... It was the computer. They are notorious for going out off and on, back and forth. I bought a "new" one at autozone for $199. That was about 7 or so years ago. I sold it a yr later and just talked to the guy i sold it to last summer and he was still rock'n it with no problems.

#21 ·
The coil situation is the same still. Starts runs fine

Try and immediately restart just cranks .

Wait literally 1 -2 min and it starts and runs but if you kill it and go to immediate restart it won't u have to wait 1-2 minutes like really 120 seconds I timed it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.