Squirrels! - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 09-19-2019, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

Squirrels!

Hey all - figured I'd throw this one out to you guys. I believe I have a squirrel problem.

The other week I found a cut hose and figured it had cracked or gotten snagged on something, but the other day I found another hose ripped, with pieces of it laying all around where I park it overnight. I've recently seen a squirrel or two run from under my Jeep in the mornings when I let my dog out.

I do not see any signs of them nesting in or under the Jeep. I'm not trying to set traps everyday because I live in the middle of the woods and I think that would be a losing battle. I do not have an option of a garage either.

I've read some people mention fox urine? I've also seen sound emitters and various sprays (vinegar based with rosemary, etc).

Anyone have a go-to or preferred method to keep squirrels away from my Jeep? Any products you use that have been effective?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-19-2019, 08:13 AM
winging it

I have a very fast Australian Shepherd mutt that understands the word "squirrel". When I mention the word and open the door the squirrels without a handy tree to climb hesitate at their peril.

GW
Ross likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-19-2019, 08:17 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

believe it or not - HONDA had a big problem with its wiring* and came up with a TSB and special tapes ....might be worth a google search.

* IIRC they switched to eco friendly wiring, (dumb *****) and the rodents LOVED the wiring - there is a lesson here.
Ross likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 25 Old 09-19-2019, 08:43 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
believe it or not - HONDA had a big problem with its wiring* and came up with a TSB and special tapes ....might be worth a google search.

* IIRC they switched to eco friendly wiring, (dumb *****) and the rodents LOVED the wiring - there is a lesson here.
It's not only Honda, many of the vehicle manufacturers are affeceted by this due to changing over to a different insulation material on the electric wires, and also different hose materials.

Sort of a same thing when back in the late-80s early-90s when manufacturers started using water- soluble paints and laquers, and the result initially was flaking clearcoat and fading paint after only a few years in direct sunlight.
Ross likes this.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #5 of 25 Old 09-20-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

The funny thing is my dog is a squirrel hunting breed. She would love to get at every squirrel she sees, but she wouldn't stop running!

I checked out the tape. Seems like a pain to wrap up all of my wires...

I might try out one of these sprays first to see if that works. I'll check back in after I put in an order and try it out to let you guys know if it works out.

Wish me luck!
post #6 of 25 Old 09-20-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAndTie View Post
The funny thing is my dog is a squirrel hunting breed. She would love to get at every squirrel she sees, but she wouldn't stop running!

I checked out the tape. Seems like a pain to wrap up all of my wires...

I might try out one of these sprays first to see if that works. I'll check back in after I put in an order and try it out to let you guys know if it works out.

Wish me luck!
After doing a bit more research I'm finding a decent amount of feedback from people using Irish Spring soap. I might start out with that method since it is super cheap. I'll report back!
post #7 of 25 Old 09-20-2019, 08:06 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I live in the woods and critters are an issue for me. This is what works for me.

Dogs, and keep you vehicle in a lit area. Park in garage on concrete or gravel. Poison where the dogs can't reach it.

Keep grass cut, park away from trees or bushes.

Create an environment were they don't want to or can't be.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #8 of 25 Old 09-21-2019, 10:46 AM
V8GCZJ

If all your above methods fail try this, Buy rat poison and crush it up then mix it with peanut butter. Put is up in the engine compartment where other animals(dog)wont get to it. Squirrels are very determined when they find something/place they like so use it as a last resort. Or you could trap them and relocate them elsewhere.
post #9 of 25 Old 09-21-2019, 04:23 PM
MaintMech
Old and in the way

1996 ZJ 

The only problem with that is if the dogs or cats decide to chew on the poisoned carcass.

'96 Grand Laredo, 4.0, Stock, Daily Driver

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!

Originally Posted by coralman
If the faith isn't there,the doubt is.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-21-2019, 04:50 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pepper spray works on squirrels. Buy some pepperfoam spray and coat anything with evidence of nibble marks. Or buy some hot chili powder and mix it with peanut butter and apply as needed. Furry tail rats are actually pretty smart and will avoid anything pepper treated, including bird feeders, after a taste or two.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-22-2019, 01:08 AM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GCZJ View Post
If all your above methods fail try this, Buy rat poison and crush it up then mix it with peanut butter. Put is up in the engine compartment where other animals(dog)wont get to it. Squirrels are very determined when they find something/place they like so use it as a last resort. Or you could trap them and relocate them elsewhere.
Or shoot 'em and eat 'em.

Lower your grocery bill. Address the problem. No collateral damage to other animals. (unless you get hungry and want to try them too)
post #12 of 25 Old 09-22-2019, 05:48 AM
winging it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiverT View Post
Or shoot 'em and eat 'em.

Lower your grocery bill. Address the problem. No collateral damage to other animals. (unless you get hungry and want to try them too)
Ruger 10/22 + tree rat = "It tastes just like chicken!"

GW
post #13 of 25 Old 09-22-2019, 07:40 AM
V8GCZJ

Another option i just thought of...

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.c...tion-sprinkler
post #14 of 25 Old 09-22-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

Haha thanks for all of the suggestions. I got a box of Irish Spring and some pantyhose. Cut up the soap and put it in the pantyhose. Tied one to the front and one on the back. Last two days I have not seen any squirrels running from the Jeep in the morning! Still early in the process so I'll see how this goes for a week or two.

Next step is squirrel soup!
Ross likes this.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-22-2019, 11:43 AM
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
I'll say all those will help .. But those blame squirrels are a problem for sure ..

I've trapped fur animals for many year .No longer do it now .
But I'd say Coyote urine would also work. . You could get rubber cloves & a cotton rag, mop it on some of your wiring under the hood. I'd also sprinkle red pepper flakes under the hood.
... I'd not put the Peanut Butter & products under the hood.
... My luck I attract more that I ran off. Doesn't sound like your dog is one that could be staked at or under you Jeep.
...Trapping & shooting them .. If you got them in your neck of the woods . Kill one & 2 replace him.
.. & While I worked for Chrysler we were told that a lot of the wiring had been lubed with Peanut oil to help it slip through the machines that made it .. Wonder why the Squirrels like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in