Sound system max power - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
LeeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Sound system max power

Hi guys,
I know this subject has been covered to death but I have been searching all day and still not found the answer to my questions.

I recently bought a new head unit with an output of 4x50w, reading the manual it says do not use speakers lower then 50w 4ohm rating, now I know the stock system is much lower than this.

My question is, as the power gets sent to the amp first will this matter much? And will it just blow out the speakers first if played too loud?

I want to upgrade the speakers as a couple are blown anyway and was also wondering how much power the stock wiring can take as I do not want to rewire, would a 4channel 200 rms amp be able to be simply swapped out? Then I could buy some cheap and cheerful 4ohm 50w rms speakers for the doors.

Sorry for wall of text, first time attempting changing anything other then the head unit, audio is not my strongpoint.

Lee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Just replace the speakers and use the stock amp. It will act as a buffer amp from your head unit and be fine. The stock amp is actually very clean, it's the stock head and speakers that suck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
LeeZJ
1996 ZJ 

So if I were to go get 4x speakers anywhere between 45w-80w I would be fine? Or would going as high as 80w be a waste with the stock amp?
There are some ok deals at my local car-shop for speakers, components in the front with new tweeters and 2way/coaxial in the rear sound about right?

Thanks, Lee

post #4 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 01:36 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The stock amp is something like 120W total. So 45W rated speakers would be pretty reasonable.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
LeeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Ok cool, I found these Sony XS-GT1728F, 40w rms 230w max seem pretty reasonable at 30 a pair.

Thanks, lee
post #6 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 10:00 PM
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

yea .......... butttttttttttttt .... the stock system runs on 2 ohm speakers .....

Not sure what the stock amp would do pushing into 4 ohm speakers ...

first thought is it is going to run hot or it will run the speakers coils hot .. never really understood that part but .....

this is coming form the guy that rebuilt the speaker cones and re soldered the spiders on them ... but I have a PERFECT running a stock infinity gold 10 speakers niner original system that does actually sound as good as it should ..... and did in 98 ....
post #7 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 10:07 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You've got it backwards, 2ohms is harder on an amp than 4ohms. Speakers will be fine.

I run exactly what I described, non stock head feeding factory amp and polk audio db651 speakers.

Quote:
post #8 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 10:10 PM
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

4 ohm speakers won't load the amp as much. So the amp and the speakers will run cooler. The downside is your amp wont be delivering max power.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-16-2015, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
LeeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
You've got it backwards, 2ohms is harder on an amp than 4ohms. Speakers will be fine. I run exactly what I described, non stock head feeding factory amp and polk audio db651 speakers.
I see they are 60w rms speakers, do you run 4 and happy with the sound?
post #10 of 17 Old 01-16-2015, 07:06 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Having anyone mention that your speakers' power rating should be higher than the output of the amp is honestly full of crap. It's always better for the health of the speakers to occasionally slightly over-power them with a big amp, than it is to try driving them with a small amp - underpowered amp will burn the speakers MUCH quicker due to clipping, than an amp that has enough juice to properly drive the speakers. Not only can you hear clipping, but it will also destroy your speakers..

All that being said, amount of sound produced is not about only watts or ohms. You gotta take into consideration the sensitivity of the speakers, and a few other things. ..and any of that has NOTHING to do with sound quality. You can have a lot of sound, which sounds like crap, or you can have a well- playing system that puts out almost the same amount of sound but in much higher quality.

edit: Btw., a normal floor- standing home speaker on a large living room will actually produce a lot of sound at a mere 1W average power output from an amp. Bass driver does require more juice, but if you're playing at an average power output of around 1W-5W you're already producing somewhere in the region of 80-85dB on most speakers. Sensitive speakers would produce even more. Now, a vehicle is a much smaller enclosure - if you don't want to wear earplugs, you don't very often need much more than 10W of TRUE power per channel. Subwoofers are another story, but not even they usually require huge amounts of power at normal sound levels. Playing loud - that's when you MUST have enough juice on the amp(s) to drive the speakers properly.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #11 of 17 Old 01-16-2015, 07:55 AM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Having been a design engineer in the audio industry for going on 35 years, its funny to read the amount of technical misinformation described here. And no, I am not about to spend the amount of time or energy typing out a response other than to the OP:

You will be fine with either adding the head unit to the factory amp with new speakers or replacing the head, amp and the new speakers you found.

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #12 of 17 Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
LeeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Just picked up 4x pioneer ts-1721i speakers as they were the cheapest and easiest to get today, going to fit them along with the head unit tonight, as I will have 4 2-way speakers i assume i would be better off disconnecting my dash tweeters?

Thanks for all your help so far guys
post #13 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 07:15 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

I didn't like the dash tweeters. They sound tinny. You'll be happy with the improved sound of just a decent head unit and new speakers.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
LeeZJ
1996 ZJ 

I disconnected the dash tweeters, front speakers sound a lot better and clearer, the rears though sound like they're under a pillow, can only hear bass and minimal voice, swapped speakers around and all ok on the front so I know its not the speakers themselves.
positive the new head unit is connected correctly, I would get no sound at all if its wasn't right?
post #15 of 17 Old 01-17-2015, 02:43 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeZJ View Post
I disconnected the dash tweeters, front speakers sound a lot better and clearer, the rears though sound like they're under a pillow, can only hear bass and minimal voice, swapped speakers around and all ok on the front so I know its not the speakers themselves.
positive the new head unit is connected correctly, I would get no sound at all if its wasn't right?
The rear doors don't get much love. You can get a new amp but I removed them and used them in my sound bar. I think the rear door speakers sound like crap and it's better without them if you have a stock amp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in